Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

10K Developer Commitment

Okay obviously no-one wants to mention this so I guess I will.

With 6 months to go until the payout deadline...

If BlackBerry get sold for parts obviously this commitment will not be honoured however if it gets bought (privately or otherwise) what's the legal standing?

I'd prefer to hear from those that have read the legal side of this agreement and know a little about the legalese here rather than wild speculation.

Thanks.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Re: 10K Developer Commitment

I'd like to know whether the 10k thing will be honoured also. I did invest some time into getting my application complient with Built for Blackberry and I'm actually gutted that BB10 didn't prove to be the magic dust they needed. If BB phones disappear it'll be a tradgedy. The Z10 Touch screen keyboard is the best one I've used on any platform. Tech is one of the only markets where lots of choice is a good thing.

Anyway,

https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/overview/10kterms.html

Clause 18 nullifies any possibility of a class action by developers (although I'm sure some lawyer might find some obscure law somewhere to get round this). clauses 12 onwards seem to say we will be informed by email or via this section of the forum about it's cancellation.

I remember reading they set aside $10,000,000 for this deal, meaning a maximum of a 1000 devs being eligable. Perhaps if they have factored this deal into their losses (in their recent financial reports) it means they are still committed to it.

I hope we won't still be in the dark about this come March 2014.

Developer

Thanks for the response, actually the 1000 developers max is incorrect as they will reduce the redemption amount by the amount of revenue made in the year.  So if a developer makes $9,999 within the commitment year then they will only receive $1 from that pool of money any who make more than $10,000 will become ineligible.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I'm not sure there are anywhere near 1000 developers who had BFB by the deadline, so I don't think there's going to be anyone bumped by the "first come first served" restrictions.

More likely, a majority of the apps won't make their minimum sales levels, so they'll get nothing. The remaining ones will probably get the full amount they could have got, which will probably also be upwards of $8K in many cases.

Just guessing, mind you...

I see no reason to think they will not honour the commitment, however. There's really no chance the company will vanish in the next six months, and generally any financial obligations like this are liabilities that can't arbitrarily be dropped just by a change in ownership or such things. (I haven't bothered reading the agreement with this in mind however, nor do I plan to.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: free

Agree, they have sign a contract with us. New owner cannot refuse to give us our $.

But it is very hard to reach the 1k$ even if we are in top position in appworld.

Developer

TobyKaos, note that it's actually more like $1429 in sales, because the $1K amount refers to the portion you receive (i.e. after the nominally 30% portion is taken off the top).

I'm noting this just in case there are still some people who didn't realize that, and who are on track to hit $1000 but not $1429... If that's you, you'll need to work a bit harder to promote your app and get to that higher threshold.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: free

Yes, but with my game Jetpack High that is in the top of the best free game I have not reach yet 1K$ (and not also 1423$).

I will change my busines model to F2P to Lite + F2P. And if it is not enough I will add ads banner.
Developer

That's tough but expected in a market so small, it's not like the apple and android markets where even a small percentage of total users discovering your app/game turns into a decent revenue.

FYI, I've read in these forums it's fairly difficult to go from a free app to paid.

Developer

My memory is fading on this, but I'm pretty sure advertising revenue does NOT count towards the 10K commitment minimum.

Searching the past threads would likely give you clear answer on that, if nobody else posts here to refute or confirm this.

Developer

Yep half way down in the T&C's...

"Any revenue derived by advertising within an application is excluded and will not be factored into the Total Earnings calculation"