Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: And there goes the deadline...

That's the obvious interpretation given the wording.

This doesn't give everyone who hadn't submitted yet a new lease on life, it merely resolves the issue that those who originally submitted by Jan 11 (and they generously extended that to Jan 21 now, in effect) were not seeing their approvals in time to apply for BFB (and thereby participate in the 10K offer).

This extension should be considered to apply solely to those who had already met the deadlines as published (and even those whose submissions were already in jeopardy by coming in after Jan 11). It ensures they will now have enough time to get the approvals, even with time for resubmits where necessary, and still get the BFB approval they need to be in the 10K.

Everyone else had already missed out. This doesn't give you a second chance... they have to draw the line somewhere and there's really no way to call this anything but more than reasonable.

Also as before: you can still make a great app and get it approved, then apply for BFB and get the same extra attention in BlackBerry World that the 10K guys will get. You just don't get the $10K commitment. That shouldn't matter much if your app is any good, so focus on making it really good and you'll earn more than $10K anyway...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
DueNorth
My Device: Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Rogers

I totally agree with Peter. It isn't for them to get MORE B4B submissions but to finish off the backlog they have. I know someone who has submitted his app for B4B and didn't hear back from them yet (before 1/21) so this would give him time to at least hear back and do any modifications. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
pskarton
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Don't worry about it. No one is going to qualify for the 10K any ways. The rules keep changing. Look all the exceptions that have been added. Now the dates have changed. You don't think the first month is going to be the most important! I'll bet most sales are within a week of the purchase of a phone. That's the way it is now and I expect it will be that way with BB10.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

What rules changed, aside from removing the previously mandatory requirement that games support Scoreloop?

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
pskarton

For a start: There is only so much money in the pot and they effectively get to choose who gets it. Its net not gross. They take a bigger piece of the pie meaning net is smaller. You should read latest conditions.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Do you have a link to the "latest conditions"?
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

pskarton, none of those are changes. From the time the rules first went up, they've made those particular details clear. Some people might have wishfully thought otherwise, and many made unfounded assumptions from the start when they clearly didn't have the details finalized, but I don't believe those things ever changed.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
pskarton

No they were not made clear at all!

Please use plain text.
Developer
thubalek
My Device: Dev Alpha C, Playbook 32 GB
My Carrier: BleskMobil

[ Edited ]

It does not make sense to discuss rules set by RIM.

It is their competiion, their rules and I'm almost sure we all agreed to Terms and Conditions (written by lawyers so we all will be always wrong ;-)).

What is IMHO unwanted side effect of this competitions is that some developers attracted by this competition may be disappointed by way it was implemented (including me). 

In fact 10k is quite pocket money in mobile apps industry (it equals 100 hours of work of skilled iOS developer) so in case that top notch app will not earn 10k per year than whole BB10 has serious problem (at least with indie developers). 

So I don't care much about 10k.

I really care about chaos, changing deadlines causing bad decisions, about port-a-thons generating **bleep** into AppWorld and consuming resources for testing of serious apps.

After visiting BB JAM in Amsterdam I got feeling that RIM will do their best to attract developers to their new platform. 10k was intended to one of most important tools. 

Execution of 10k/port-a-thons/app submission is IMHO real fail.

It is not normal that approval of the app takes weeks. It is not normal that I never got explanation email why my app was rejected. It is not normal that because of bug in implementation of IAP (RIM bug) all my apps crash at start and deploying version with workaround will take weeks. 

I really expected that RIM wants to establish long term cooperation with developers that take their job seriously. Puting normal apps and port-a-thon **bleep** into the same queue causes my feeling that they prefer quantity over quality. 

I created four apps in more than two months (last one took me over month, it is not finished yet and would be competive even on Android). They are not sample apps. They are not one page fart apps. No single page BMI calculator.

But I'm in the same queue as  260 apps generated by this guy during one weekend (source https://twitter.com/FloPMT/status/292862953026379776).

I really care about long term relationship with BB (as I like this platform) but beginning for me looks suboptimal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- My Blackberry 10 app at http://blackberry.hubalek.net
-- My Android apps at http://android.hubalek.net
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
whoang
My Device: Blackberry 10 - Dev Alpha B | Blackberry Playbook | Blackberry Torch 9810
My Carrier: BELL Canada

Hello @peter9477,

As far as the rule changes regarding Scoreloop, it is now a service that is recommended to implement with Games application and not mandatory to have any longer.

If Scoreloop is implemented, leadership board feature is required at the minimal I believe
William Hoang

Application Developer Advocate | Developer Relations
BlackBerry

Please use plain text.