Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Developer
poornamelessme
My Device: Dev Alpha C

Built for Blackberry/10K Questions

I have a couple of questions regarding these programs.

Will the Built for Blackberry program be an ongoing program, and if so, are there any benefits to the developer (besides a little logo or whatever is given)?

And for the 10K Committment, I take it that the deadline has passed on this?

I participated in the portathons and am just now putting together some nicer apps, so was wondering if it's way too late for either of the above programs? I do see an option on my approved apps to apply for Built for Blackberry, but even if the 10K deadline was extended for already approved apps, I'd somehow need to upgrade the app/apply for the program and also somehow change it to a paid app  ... and also hope that somehow it's still eliigible for the 10K program -- all things I expect can't be done.

I am also curious as to why there is a deadline for the 10K committment to begin with? The program itself runs for the entire year, correct? I mean the time period for developers to earn at least 1K? Seeing as Z10 has just been released (and is not even in the US yet) and Q10 hasn't even been released as an alpha device, why cut off the program now, just when developers may get actual devices to work on? Wouldn't it be easy enough to simply let applications go throughout the entire year and Blackberry could still keep the same terms -- 1K during the program period. If accepted 6 months in, it lowers the chance of the developer earning that 1K, but it's still a decent chance ... and better than not allowing anyone to apply at all. It'd certainly be an incentive for developers to submit nice apps during the course of the year, anyway.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Built for Blackberry/10K Questions

It is too late for the 10K commitment, but that was a one-time thing whereas the Built For BlackBerry program is ongoing.

Benefits are noted at https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/overview.html

I don't know if the app needs to be paid to be BFB... I think that was only a requirement for the 10K program. In any case, I believe it's possible to request a free-to-paid change for an app, but you should also consider using in-app payment instead, which can be added at any time to a free app (or paid one) and which may have benefits in terms of getting the app noticed more.

The 10K deadline as because the program was meant to run for one year, but a particular year, not just any year. It's technically a "zero-sum game", as in there's only so much pie to go around and you're competing with other developers to get your slice (assuming enough apps will be approved that it's even possible for the budget to be exhausted).

It was also designed to motivate early-adopting developers to develop apps for launch. Launch has come and gone, and the product is shipping (in many places). It's no longer that critical for them to motivate independent developers to try to come on board... at least unless they decide it still is, and make a new program to do that, or update the 10K one in some fashion.

As for letting people apply "late" and take their chances with only 6 months... well, that wouldn't be fair to those who came on board in time. The terms were clear, and people took them into account in deciding whether to commit to developing apps. Allowing newcomers in at this late time wouldn't be fair, as long as the program is still a zero-sum game (limited budget, with a first-come-first-served element as far as reaching the magic $1000 earnings point in time to merit the guarantee of $10K).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

AFAIK 10K deadline was extended, as per this post:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/03/dates-to-remember-2/

So whenever you get the BFB seal (until March next year), you are eligible for the 10K. This means that it allows to join the party later.

The only catch is that your app has to be submitted to BBWorld before 21. Jan. So  generally speaking if you have an app already submitted (and you have such in port-a-thons), you can work on that app to make it BFB-ready and join the 10K party.

Still the 10K fund is limited so the earlier you join, the better.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
poornamelessme

Ah, that extension is longer than I expected. I thought it was until March of 2013, not 2014

I guess my next question is .... how much upgrading can we do to already accepted apps?

I have an app I am currently upgrading into a paid app (previously approved as free), but assuming the extention stuff is accurate, can I simply upgrade my old, already approved app (approved in Dec/Jan), apply for built for blackberry, and then be eligible for the 10K committment? The potential issues are the fact that the first version was free, not paid, and ideally I was hoping to make a minor change to the app name too.

I also recently noticed an error in the app, and pulled it from release, with the idea of resubmitting the newer paid version -- all of that probably complicates matters, I guess I'd need to contact someone from Blackberry to see if I can do any of the above?

Retired
IAmTheAllspark
My Device: Z10

The Built for BlackBerry program is ongoing.  And yes, you can still apply for the Built for BlackBerry program.

The benefits are listed here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/overview.html

The deadline for the $10k Developer Commitment is closed. Your app had to have been submitted by Jan. 21/13 and applied for Built for BlackBerry by Feb. 18/13.

As for the questions about why there are deadlines for the $10k Developer Commitment, these rules have been outlined since the launch of the program.  They are in place so that everyone has an equal playing ground.  It wouldn't be fair to developers that got their apps done in time for the deadline to then have someone submit an app in Nov. of this year and manage to just make $1,000 by the Mar. 3/14 end date and therefore be eligible for a $9,000 payout.  This way everyone is on the same level.

-----------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter @IAmTheAllspark
Developer
poornamelessme

Is the developer blog info incorrect then, I assume?

Built for BlackBerry and the 10K Developer Commitment: Dates to Remember

if you submitted your app before the January 21 deadline, and your app was approved by BlackBerry World, you are still eligible for the 10K program; even if your approval notice came after the February 18 deadline to apply for the 10K program.  We will reach out to all vendors this applies to within the next week with further information and instructions.

Please note that you must, however, obtain your Built for BlackBerry approval sometime before March 3, 2014 to be eligible for the $10k Developer Commitment program in any fashion.

Retired
IAmTheAllspark
My Device: Z10

No it's not, the blog is correct but only those apps that qualify will be contacted. Apps that didn't meet the deadlines do no qualify.

So apps that submitted after Jan.21 do not qualify.
-----------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter @IAmTheAllspark