Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Developer
bbdevguy
My Device: Not Specified

Cascades app rejected for being Android port

I applied for the 10K Developer Commitment with a couple of Cascades apps that I built. The apps were written using a combination of QML and C++. They both got rejected on the grounds that "Android runtime apps are not eligible".

I replied to the tester but have not heard back. Is there anything I can do to make them re-review my apps since they were written in Cascades and as far as I understand the rules for the 10K commitment Cascades app should qualify?

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Cascades app rejected for being Android port

That is the craziest rejection I've heard so far.

Wow!

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Please use plain text.
Developer
nonesuchnick
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Rogers

That's hard to believe, and one of the stranger rejections I've seen on these forums!  Cascades apps have a distinct look and feel and are noticably different from Android apps.  They are considered native and should definitely qualify.  I have to wonder if the reviewer even ran your app?  Do you have screenshots for your app from an Android version?  Maybe they just looked at the screenshots?

In any case, hopefully once they new appeal process that @Alec_Saunders promised is in place you will be able to easily address things like this.  For now, it seems that most developers have been tweeting and emailing people at RIM, as well as posting in these forums in order to bring cases like yours to the attention of the right people.  I would direct message @jabennet (PM of Built for Blackberry program) or @Alec_Saunders on the forums and let them know about your situation.

Nick

Learn to run and get in shape with Couch 2AnyK Pro, a Built for BlackBerry native Couch to 5K (C25K) app for BlackBerry 10, available in BlackBerry World.
Please use plain text.
Developer
bbdevguy

Thanks for the advice and contact info, Nick. I will be sure to follow up with those people to figure out what exactly happened there.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
IAmTheAllspark
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

What is the app name and or AppID?
-----------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter @IAmTheAllspark
Please use plain text.
Developer
bbdevguy

Hi Allspark,

Thank you very much for looking into this.

My vendor id is 456

The two app IDs of the Cascades app that were rejected for being Android are 21745483 (Viira for BB10) and 21792145 (Presta for BB10). Both apps are native Cascades ports of their BBOS predecessors.

I had a look and some confusion could have come out of backlog, I noticed CRs for both apps have been piling up for weeks now.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
IAmTheAllspark
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

bbdevguy - I am getting these apps looked at again.  Apologies for the oversight. If you receive any further rejection communications from the test team can you please direct message me?

-----------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter @IAmTheAllspark
Please use plain text.
Developer
bbdevguy

Thanks a lot for looking into this, allspark! I will be sure to let you know how things develop.

Please use plain text.