Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Contributor
analytik
My Device: Q10

Implementing "one service" for AIR app

Hi,

So, to apply for Built For BlackBerry, I need to implement one of the following services, but most of them are not available, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, there are no further APIs scheduled on the AIR API roadmap.

Payment Service net.rim.blackberry.payment 
BBM Social Platform none for AIR? 
Advertising Service none for AIR? 
Analytics Service none for AIR nor BB10 yet? 
Locate Service none for AIR? 
Maps Service none for AIR? 
Push Service net.rim.blackberry.push 
Invocation Framework qnx.invoke 
NFC none for AIR? 

Scoreloop

none for AIR? 

So, to make any of those work, I'd have to write my own ANE to implement it? Doesn't that leave AIR a bit short-handed? I mean, I could make the app a trial version and sell licenses through Payment Service instead of having a paid app, but it feels like a bit of a stretch.

Developer
ignites
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: Implementing "one service" for AIR app

analytik wrote:

Hi,

So, to apply for Built For BlackBerry, I need to implement one of the following services, but most of them are not available, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, there are no further APIs scheduled on the AIR API roadmap.

Payment Service  net.rim.blackberry.payment  
BBM Social Platform  none for AIR?  
Advertising Service  none for AIR?  
Analytics Service  none for AIR nor BB10 yet?  
Locate Service  none for AIR?  
Maps Service  none for AIR?  
Push Service  net.rim.blackberry.push  
Invocation Framework  qnx.invoke  
NFC  none for AIR?  

Scoreloop

none for AIR?  

So, to make any of those work, I'd have to write my own ANE to implement it? Doesn't that leave AIR a bit short-handed? I mean, I could make the app a trial version and sell licenses through Payment Service instead of having a paid app, but it feels like a bit of a stretch.

Well AIR was not originally supported for these reasons but it was something that was tagged on as a result of my petition here (http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/10K-Developer-Commitment/Let-s-loosen-up-the-criterias-and-en...). 

It is probably not a priority for RIM to get AIR up and running as much as the other two platforms, I would say consider them as well. Good luck!

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Contributor
analytik
My Device: Q10

Ah, I've read that, thanks for coming up with a well-formulated request like that.

I was mostly just making sure I haven't missed anything; I mean I can understand how resource-intensive it is to maintain 5 different platforms. By all means I'm glad they allowed AIR to join the 10k offer at all, I can understand existing PlayBook AIR developer feeling like they're 2nd grade citizen now, but I mean of course Native is going to have top priority, and other platforms will build on that.

And of course, I would love to learn C++, JS and Java, but there's only so much time for everything :smileyhappy:
Developer
ignites
My Device: Bold 9900

analytik wrote:
Ah, I've read that, thanks for coming up with a well-formulated request like that.

I was mostly just making sure I haven't missed anything; I mean I can understand how resource-intensive it is to maintain 5 different platforms. By all means I'm glad they allowed AIR to join the 10k offer at all, I can understand existing PlayBook AIR developer feeling like they're 2nd grade citizen now, but I mean of course Native is going to have top priority, and other platforms will build on that.

And of course, I would love to learn C++, JS and Java, but there's only so much time for everything :smileyhappy:

FWIW I believe that they are trying to smush AIR into WebWorks. I am not sure if this means you can use WebWorks extensions or something of the sort. But WebWorks will have a fairly comprehensive amount of native extensions (including the list above). Regardless WebWorks is quite simple to learn, maybe its time to try it out! Its not coding its only html5 :smileytongue:

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!