Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Developer
ignites
My Device: Bold 9900
Accepted Solution

Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

[ Edited ]

Reading this page >> https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/criteria.html we can see that RIM has put together a lot of rules and policys in place to encourage great apps come onto the platform. This annoucment is a great start however there are a few things that I'd like to point out make these rules too restrictive to allow the maximum benefit to as many 'quality developers' as possible.

1) Andriod/AIR Development is noticably missing - I know we want to encourage native experince but RIM allows Andriod and AIR apps so why do they not qualify? We know even RIM writes their original PlayBook browser in AIR so AIR is definitely a quality form of development. Likewise for Andriod, why should we exclude our Andriod friends if they can make a good app which can run which dont use RIM's framework. As long as its not ugly why not? (think Tiny Bird which runs fine on PlayBook and is almost not noticeable as an Andriod app to the regular consumer).

2) The guidelines are too restrictive, a lot of great apps can be made without the use of any of the Service Intergration criterias (of which 1 is required to qualify). A great app that we know is coming to BlackBerry 10 is Blaq, as far as I know (from the PlayBook version) none of these services are being used. Blaq is one of the most purchased applications by an independent developer in BlackBerry App World for the PlayBook. If Blaq doesnt qualify one must wonder if these rules are too tight for the regular Joe developer who can still make great apps but might not need to use all these frameworks.

3) Developers need a privary policy? Those who can afford to make one wont qualify for this program to get the 10k (since they are big name devs which will likely make more than 10k), and those who cant afford to write one will need to write one to get the 10k. See the irony? Perhaps RIM can have a boiler plate template avaiable for developers who cant afford legal services to use....

4) Service Performance. - Apps will use CPU and memory, we get that and understand that RIM wants to minimize lag. That is fine. Lets put some numbers or benchmark examples in that so we know what to expect. 

I know the intent is not to only to have the program for the 10 k offer but to have this as a benchmark of quality but let's reexamine how RIM defines quality and be less restrictive in the rules which developers are bound by. Lets encourage creativitiy and allow developers to use the tools and frameworks they want to make the great quality apps we all want in anticipation of the launch of BlackBerry 10.

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Developer
HorizonXP
My Device: BlackBerry 9900 & PlayBook

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

The only part about this that I agree with is the exclusion of AIR apps. I agree, they should be allowed.

Otherwise, I think RIM's criteria are mostly fine as is.

Founder of Pulsecode Inc. and taab
Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

[ Edited ]

I have to agree with HorizonXP, here. The only reason Blaq isn't using any one of those services is because the majority don't exist on the PlayBook.

I know RIM is trying to push both WebWorks and Native as the top-tier platforms going forward. However, AIR should probably be included since they worked to get AIR/Flash developers onboard since the beginning. Those devs would probably feel abandoned, at this point.

Everything else is akin to what RIM pushed under the "Super App" paradigm so A+ for that.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Developer
JohnPinkerton
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)

I'll agree with Horizon and JCarty here. AIR apps, should be included.

Anyone can draft a privacy policy. Find a simple, layman's terms version and figure out how to apply it to your app.

Keep android apps out of it, my experience with android apps has been subpar. Don't get me wrong, they run great on the PlayBook, but the UX has always been trash.
Developer
ignites

I understand we want top quality A+ apps that great. The Built for BlackBerry Program encourages that yes but does this encourage other not as experinces developers who can make great apps? Check out the multitude of start ups who are doing application development, how many will follow these strict guidelines just to develop for BlackBerry 10 (as opposed to the other platforms)? We have to keep in mind while I am assuming BlackBerry 10 is amazing, we still have a lot of doubters out there and everyone is still doing this at a risk of developing for a fairly new, and some could say 'unproven' platform. If we want to continue on the momentum required to move forward with what is being built bringing in new quality developers to make BlackBerry 10 apps perhaps we want to lower or broaden the scope of the standards for the 10k guarantee. The 10k guarantee, I was told is to mitigate the risk for developing for the platform so we need to do just that for the developers. The Built for BlackBerry program can still be used with similar guidelines, but perhaps lower these guidelines for the purpose of the 10k program will encourage developers. Imagine a developer who makes a nice (but not A+) app who hits $1k and get 10k from RIM - do you not think they will be encourage to continue working on new (and better) apps? Keep in mind, the real value is not in the first BlackBerry 10 apps, its in what developers will continue to bring on board after these one time offers are over!!

Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

[ Edited ]

The thing about this program is it's supposed to encourage high quality apps. You should not receive $10K for porting your Android app or for writing a subpar application.

If your application is worth it, adding one of those services should enhance the experience for your end users as well as get you into the Built for BlackBerry program and guarantee you $10K if you make $1K in App World.

The goal (IMO) is for you to make the app so worthwhile that you are guaranteed to earn that money, regardless of whether RIM gives it to you, or your users do.

Keep that in mind.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Developer
HorizonXP

Also keep in mind that RIM is betting that if your app meets these criteria, you WILL make $10k in revenue. Their hope is that they won't have to pay out $10k to you. If they lower the requirements, it reduces overall app quality, gives the criteria no meaning, and increases the likelyhood of RIM having to pay out for garbage apps.

Stop thinking of this as a giveaway of free money. It's just a hedge by RIM. They're hoping that they won't have to pay out at all.

Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Contributor
bdely
My Device: Curve 9380 / PlayBook

I agree with HorizonXP and JCarty. If they did lower the requirement then people would make apps that would just meet the requirements instead of an A+ app. It would also drown out the quality app with the subpar because there would be a lot of them. We don't want app world to become like google play, where most app are useless or subpar

Developer
ignites

Perhaps here I am the minority and we are all worried about 'bad apps' which will infitrate the system, however, I would like to say that its probably unlikely a 'sub-par' app will make 100 paid downloads and $1,000s in revenue if things are in check (and if it does that developer may have the resources to improve their app). Once again, I'm not saying we need to lower the standards dramatically but boraden it to allow more choice in creativity in how developers make great apps and encourage the continual build up of great apps in App World :smileyhappy:.

Developer
HorizonXP

Fine. We don't agree with your original suggestions for changes. Come up with new ones, and maybe we'll agree with you.