Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Contributor
bdely
My Device: Curve 9380 / PlayBook

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

The one app does not mean that they can only have one app in app world, it mean that they can only have one app the can qualify for the 10k, why would RIM do a payout 10 time to one developer, They put that in so that it gives developers a chance.
Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

bdely wrote:
Android is not the only migration path. They could go with webworks.
I know the java and javascript are a little different. (I am a java and javascript developer)

You're kidding right? Though "theoretically" JavaScript is object oriented, I have almost never seen it used that way.

Have you ever tried converting a java app into webworks? Where do you get the javascript port of J2SE libraries? How do you use threads/asyncrhonous processing?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bdely

I am with JCarty. Even if i was to qualify for the 10K, I would be happier if my app could make the 10K on its own, It would show that it is a useful app and people like it. I would also bet that every app the qualifies would make the 10K or more on its own.

Please use plain text.
Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900

I'm not 100% against Android ports (or anything from Java) I'm just noting that I have seen several cases where lag/performance issues were noted on apps that were Android ports.

If an app is good (regardless of technology) I'm generally for it qualifying... however I also understand RIM's objective to focus on the native C/C++/Cascades apps that will perform the best overall (now and in the future)

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

adwiv wrote:

bdely wrote:
Android is not the only migration path. They could go with webworks.
I know the java and javascript are a little different. (I am a java and javascript developer)

You're kidding right? Though "theoretically" JavaScript is object oriented, I have almost never seen it used that way.

Have you ever tried converting a java app into webworks? Where do you get the javascript port of J2SE libraries? How do you use threads/asyncrhonous processing?

It's most certainly used in that way for HTML5 applications. Porting of libs is tough but threads/async processing can be done by using workers. Technically, it isn't a "real" migration path but almost all that you mentioned is possible.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bdely

Have you looked into HTML5 because there are webworkers.

were you talking about converting an app or migrating to different tools? (because i don't know about AIR i did think you could just put java code into an air app)

Please use plain text.
Developer
JohnPinkerton
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)

Personally, I don't see the android player as something I would rely on for a $10k/year + income. It's crippled on the platform compared to any of the other methods. 

JCarty is right, this thread really feels like an attempt to have RIM hand out $10k at every turn and bend in the road. The only thing I wish they'd change is allowing AIR apps. Everything else looks spot on for any dev that is trying to make a quality app.

You want RIM's money? Play by their rules. Otherwise as has been said, build a quality app and the revenue will come regardless of the guarantee.

Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

JCarty wrote:
You guys still don't get it. Stop depending on RIM to give you $10K and sell YOUR product. It will make at least $10k if its valuable to the end-user.

If you're not in the program, just make a good app and it'll shine on its own.

My problem is that an app not on the program will not shine much because they will not get featured and will somehow be less prominent than others. For example, if I make a Diary app using Android runtime or Adobe Air for that matter, it will not have a level playing field compared to a webworks or native app. Even though the functionality offered by both of them may be similar and the user experience may also be the same. 

Scrap this program and let good apps shine by themselves, and I would be happy. Otherwise, treat Java apps as an equal citizen.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bdely

[ Edited ]

adwiv wrote:
My problem is that an app not on the program will not shine much because they will not get featured and will somehow be less prominent than others. For example, if I make a Diary app using Android runtime or Adobe Air for that matter, it will not have a level playing field compared to a webworks or native app. Even though the functionality offered by both of them may be similar and the user experience may also be the same. 

Scrap this program and let good apps shine by themselves, and I would be happy. Otherwise, treat Java apps as an equal citizen.

That is a possiblity that it could happen, but I don't think so because they will probably have a "Built For BlackBerry" section to show them off. Also if someone is looking for a diary app the they would type diary in the saerch, and I don't think that there will be 100 diary app that qualify for the 10K

Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Here's my issue with your logic:

The program is tied to the Built for BlackBerry program. Android won't ever be the best avenue to show off the best apps that were specifically Built for BlackBerry. 

Android ports give you an opportunity to make money on another platform but, in reality, they shouldn't be highlighted by RIM if Cascades is their native platform. I doubt Google or Apple would do the same. Heck, they aren't even giving devs any guarantees.

Code your polished app and promote it = profit. Build it just for BlackBerry and profit even more.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.