Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

adwiv wrote:

Marc_Paradise wrote:
The focus here isn't on doing the minimum necessary to get RIM to pay you $10k. The focus is on making an app that is good enough that you only need RIM's guarantee if the platform is not a success to begin with.  

If the focus is only on making an app that is good, then why restrict it in terms of development platform? Other than the "Made exclusively for BB10" I see no other reason. So if that is the reason - fine.  But don't give me the BS reasons like good apps can't be made on Android or Air. They already have a quality check, so what's the problem?

And also why restrict it to only one app per developer? Can a developer not make more than one good app?

Not sure what their reason is for the SDK restriction -- it'd be speculation at this point. As for the restriction of only one app per developer -- just a guess but -- i'm going to go ahead and assume RIM does not want to go bankrupt off of this deal lmfao :Shifty:

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bdely
My Device: Curve 9380 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

adwiv wrote:
If the focus is only on making an app that is good, then why restrict it in terms of development platform? Other than the "Made exclusively for BB10" I see no other reason. So if that is the reason - fine.  But don't give me the BS reasons like good apps can't be made on Android or Air. They already have a quality check, so what's the problem?

And also why restrict it to only one app per developer? Can a developer not make more than one good app?

yes developers can make more than one good app, they can only get one payout.

They want to keep the flow experience that is why it is "Built for BlackBerry" because android will not look native or function like a native because the apis are not there for it.

Air does have lag when it comes to animations.

Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

JRab wrote:

A lot of people had good points throughout this thread -- RIM is creating an incentive for developers who already are willing to put in their blood and soul into their apps even without the $10k challenge -- not just a hand out to get in more apps.

And disincentivize and alienate almost all the existing developers - people who developed apps in Java and Air - who are really comforatable with the BlackBerry as a platform. RIM wants all of them to learn C/C++ or JavaScript. Good Job RIM.

Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv

JRab wrote:

Not sure what their reason is for the SDK restriction -- it'd be speculation at this point. As for the restriction of only one app per developer -- just a guess but -- i'm going to go ahead and assume RIM does not want to go bankrupt off of this deal lmfao :Shifty:

IMO it is easier to convince one developer to develop more than one app, rather than convincing two developers to develop on BlackBerry. There is nothing about going bankrupt here. Its the number of apps that qualify. If they are going to certify say 1000 apps, does that matter whether they are from 1000 different developers or all from just 1 developer :-)
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab

adwiv wrote:

JRab wrote:

A lot of people had good points throughout this thread -- RIM is creating an incentive for developers who already are willing to put in their blood and soul into their apps even without the $10k challenge -- not just a hand out to get in more apps.

And disincentivize and alienate almost all the existing developers - people who developed apps in Java and Air - who are really comforatable with the BlackBerry as a platform. RIM wants all of them to learn C/C++ or JavaScript. Good Job RIM.

The platform is changing -- its a complete overhaul compared to the previous OS's -- i absolutely respect Java developers -- they are what kept RIM going in the past -- but the fact is the upcoming OS has no support for Java apps. In RIMs eyes -- they probably see WebWorks / NDK being able to make the most of BB10 -- that being said you don't know how many more platforms they will open up the challenge for in the future.

As of right now -- their wager is you will make at least $10k using WebWorks / NDK as they stand now -- anything can change SDK-wise in the future -- but that's the challenge -- take it or leave it at this point. Let's not jump down RIMs throat for this.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Please use plain text.
Developer
HorizonXP
My Device: BlackBerry 9900 & PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Pretty much. Java is pretty **bleep** in terms of speed and abilities.

I don't understand the whining. I code in Java, C/C++, Assembly, HTML, Javascript, CSS, and Python all day long and interchangeably. It's not that hard to learn another language.

Founder of Pulsecode Inc. and taab
Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bdely
My Device: Curve 9380 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Telus

adwiv wrote:

I am guessing that you are a Java developer. If you have a good app idea and think it should qualify for the 10K, then it should have no problem making the 10k on its own. They are only qualifing apps they feel will make 10k on its own.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab

adwiv wrote:

JRab wrote:

IMO it is easier to convince one developer to develop more than one app, rather than convincing two developers to develop on BlackBerry. There is nothing about going bankrupt here. Its the number of apps that qualify. If they are going to certify say 1000 apps, does that matter whether they are from 1000 different developers or all from just 1 developer :-)

it is absolutely easier to get one developer to make more than one app -- but statistically the more apps one developer makes -- the quality of their apps begin to deteriorate -- and there are exceptions out there -- but the rule of thumb is either quality or quantity. And how does it have nothing to do with bankruptcy? you said it urself -- it's easier for one developer to pump out multiple apps vs multiple developers pumping out one app each. On that same note -- they don't want to pay someone like $100k in a year for their apps -- it makes more sense getting 10 developers for the same price. At that point they'll have them hooked they can get more apps with 10 devs vs just 1 dev.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv

bdely wrote:

I am guessing that you are a Java developer. If you have a good app idea and think it should qualify for the 10K, then it should have no problem making the 10k on its own. They are only qualifing apps they feel will make 10k on its own.

Yes I am a java developer (it  should have been obvious by now :smileyhappy: ) and have been developing apps for BB for over 5 years. Android runtime was one of the options I was considering for BB10 and had even invested time and efforts into it. Now all that is wasted.

Suppose I have an app idea that has the potential to make 10k on its own. And suppose I make an app using Java or Air and release it on BB10. Now since app ideas are not propriety (maybe except in case of games to some degree), other people will duplicate that app. If RIM certifies a competing app, my app is no more on a level playing field with other apps and there is nothing I can do to get my app certified other than to develop it from scratch using C/C++.

So I don't get to make 10k, because most of the sales would now be diverted to RIM selected/promoted app.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

adwiv wrote:

bdely wrote:

Yes I am a java developer (it  should have been obvious by now :smileyhappy: ) and have been developing apps for BB for over 5 years. Android runtime was one of the options I was considering for BB10 and had even invested time and efforts into it. Now all that is wasted.

Suppose I have an app idea that has the potential to make 10k on its own. And suppose I make an app using Java or Air and release it on BB10. Now since app ideas are not propriety (maybe except in case of games to some degree), other people will duplicate that app. If RIM certifies a competing app, my app is no more on a level playing field with other apps and there is nothing I can do to get my app certified other than to develop it from scratch using C/C++.

So I don't get to make 10k, because most of the sales would now be diverted to RIM selected/promoted app.

If someone else were to duplicate an app using what you are saying and there are two certified apps competing on the same leve, it's the same issue. You're bringing forth an issue that's going to exist regardless: Competition.

You are already at a disadvantage by choosing a secondary platform, regardless of how great it is, simply because you can't provide the level of integration from either Android Java or even AIR based on what I've seen.

I've also been developing BB apps for a while now so I get it. What I don't get is why you think you won't make $10k within 12 months if it isn't promoted. If you don't think it'll happen, it WON'T happen. Simple as that.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.