Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Developer
peter9477
My Carrier: none

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

If you mean this page https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/getting_started.html then it doesn't actually contradict your point. Instead of saying "examples", it simply provides a list of downloads... one may consider that merely as RIM's way of encouraging the use of those, while not explicitly rejecting AIR.

There are unresolved threads in http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Built-For-BlackBerry/bd-p/built_for_bb which ask about other platforms and the B4BB program.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

In terms of AIR support.
How can phoneGap be considered for the certification program and not AIR?
AIR can meet and exceed all of the requirements for the program.

If anyone has a moment, please email A. Sanders to voice your thoughts in getting AIR supported for this program.

RIM says they are 100% behind AIR, but without AIR certification, sales will be dead (since they have said certified apps will be more prominent).
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Just catching up on this thread - great stuff.
In terms of AIR slight performance issue, yes there is a so slight issue during some animation. There are ways to get around it and the performance issue will be much less so once the AIR runtime is updated and stage3D is available. Then AIR apps will be nearly on-par to that of native apps. If in doubt, see some of the stage3D games that have been created. Simply amazing any of that is possible on hand held devices.

There is no logical reason why AIR apps are excluded from certification.
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Carrier: Bell

AIR applications are now eligable for the Built for BlackBerry and 10K programs.  Read all about it on the blog:

Built for BlackBerry and Adobe AIR

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
soaman

Nice :-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Carrier: Vodafone

Excellent!

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
billbsb
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

RIM, thanks for listening and acting! I think it's trully awesome!

In the beginning I was thinking that AIR was excluded because you guys didn't provide an AIR SDK complete enough to adhere to your own standards - specially with the new flow, invoke and etc. After this announcement, I'm pretty sure the AIR SDK, and hopefully the runtime, will have more priority.

As far as I can see, AIR developer are still more active, experienced and eager to make apps for your platform. I could be totally wrong tough and I would love to see some data, chart or whatever, about the current number of apps on AppWorld grouped by technology. What's the percentage of Native/Cascades, AIR, WebWorks/bbUI and Android Java? If I'm correct, you should beneficiate even more the great majority.

Cheers!

Cheers!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

From what I can tell, most of the current activity is with the NDK/Cascade. A lot of PlayBook AIR developers are trying their hand with the NDK. We're not seeing on the forum a lot of new questions, so either AIR developers got everything they need and dont have questions/issues, they are working on the NDK, or they are not doing any new development in either environment.

IF, RIM ever did supply some numbers, it would help to include if the app is a game or not, since the NDK would do better for games.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Carrier: Vodafone

Bill,

In the beginning I was thinking that AIR was excluded because you guys didn't provide an AIR SDK complete enough to adhere to your own standards - specially with the new flow, invoke and etc. After this announcement, I'm pretty sure the AIR SDK, and hopefully the runtime, will have more priority.

The Invocation Framework is already available in AIR, and has been for some time.

https://developer.blackberry.com/air/beta/apis/qnx/invoke/package-detail.html

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
soaman

QNX is looking for developers to extend APIs and create new UI controls.

Yes, something great is happening :smileyhappy:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Please use plain text.