Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Developer
mreed
My Device: ಠ_ಠ

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

This isn't the developer challenge, its marketing. Of course they're going to require you to use the expensive new toys they just developed/acquired. If they're going to pay out $10M, why wouldn't they?

Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

I believe I'm with most of the commenters this far... I'd like to see AIR apps included but I'm not overly keen on Android ports (based on how I've seen several perform this far on the PlayBook).

IMHO if the application runs well, looks polished, doesnt lag, and doesn't hog resources etc. E.g. Is a quality application then I don't think the "technology stack" used to create it matters.

However if there are key "signs of weakness" then I'm all for ignoring them from qualifying.

E.g. If the app contains glaring typos, very poor graphics, obvious graphical glitches, badly pixelated assets, bad sound leveling, hangs, lags, crashes, freezes, is unusable etc.

I also hate to be a spoilsport on this, but I really feel that any "digital books" should not count. Especially if they provide little if any benifit beyond what you'd expect from a simple PDF file.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer
ignites
My Device: Bold 9900

steve_web wrote:
I believe I'm with most of the commenters this far... I'd like to see AIR apps included but I'm not overly keen on Android ports (based on how I've seen several perform this far on the PlayBook).

IMHO if the application runs well, looks polished, doesnt lag, and doesn't hog resources etc. E.g. Is a quality application then I don't think the "technology stack" used to create it matters.

However if there are key "signs of weakness" then I'm all for ignoring them from qualifying.

E.g. If the app contains glaring typos, very poor graphics, obvious graphical glitches, badly pixelated assets, bad sound leveling, hangs, lags, crashes, freezes, is unusable etc.

I also hate to be a spoilsport on this, but I really feel that any "digital books" should not count. Especially if they provide little if any benifit beyond what you'd expect from a simple PDF file.

This is what I mean. If it doesnt suck and works well why exclude them? I thought RIM was trying to sell how 'easy' it is to develop for BlackBerry and how 'you can use the tools of your choice' because developing for BlackBerry is 'that easy' wouldnt this go against everything RIM is trying to sell at the BlackBerry Jam Conferences world wide? Once again, I am not saying no to quality I'm saying quality can come outside of the criterias that RIM has set. Let developers make awesomeness using outside-of-the-box strategies. Forcing them to use RIM techniques wont get over well in the long run. 

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Developer
mreed
My Device: ಠ_ಠ

wouldnt this go against everything RIM is trying to sell at the BlackBerry Jam Conferences world wide?

The sessions are all centered around Cascades/NDK and WebWorks.

Forcing them to use RIM techniques wont get over well in the long run.

Again, RIM is shelling out $10,000,000 to get developers to show off their newest platform. They have no stake in future of Android or AIR, its just a secondary language to capture low hanging fruit. They're putting their full force behind Cascades being the main attraction.

Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

Reaching $10.000 under its own steam should be fairly easy for any quality app with a broad use case, if the PlayBook market is anything to go by. So IMHO the $10k guarantee doesn't really matter unless the app has a niche market.

The "Built for BlackBerry" seal of approval is more important.

The technology stack should indeed not matter. Some of the best PB apps in App World today are built with AIR. I doubt whether RIM would withhold the "Built for BlackBerry" seal for a quality app even if it doesn't strictly meet the criteria. For instance, Machinarium and Angry Birds are AIR apps. Would they be excluded? Of course not!

Apps like Blaq or <cough> Files & Folders would need to adopt some BB10 features where applicable, and be optimized for the form factor, but I suspect RIM will be delighted to have them come to BB10 even if they - like Blaq - sometimes do things differently to stock apps.

For Files & Folders we're picking and choosing BB10 UX elements and other solutions that suite our use case. For example, we're not yet convinced that the BB10 context menu is the best solution for our app. We purposefully put our context menu on the left of the screen because for right-handed users it would otherwise be covered by the hand, and you'd have to keep moving your hand out of the way after selecting a file. If we stick to our guns and the criteria are interpreted to the letter, F&F may not qualify for the "Built for BlackBerry" program...

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Contributor
bdely
My Device: Curve 9380 / PlayBook

ignites don't forget that the built for BlackBerry would also include the visual part. For example if all the apps a customer would use looks similar and functions similar, then the user goes to any app that looks completely different, would it not throw the customer off. It could be a perfect app but if it is not built for the platform it is on then it would not have the same flow experience.

I do not mean that devs should do thing different, you just dont want to have an IOS UI in a BlackBerry app.

Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

steve_web wrote:

Of course you can't be.. Like most of the people active on this thread you probably have never made Java based apps.

99% of the apps on BlackBerry are still Java based and almost all of the major BlackBerry developers on BBOS are experts only in Java.

The only migration path for existing apps on BlackBerry 7 is via the android route. By denying the android and air apps from participating in this program, RIM is in effect telling the existing developers to quit its platform.

Contributor
bdely
My Device: Curve 9380 / PlayBook

Android is not the only migration path. They could go with webworks.
I know the java and javascript are a little different. (I am a java and javascript developer)
Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

I have two problems with this program:

1. Apps that do not meet the program will not sell: The way this program is supposed to work is that the selected apps will be featured continuously till they meet the meet the 10k in sales. These apps will be shown more prominently  in the appworld and may also show up higher in the default ranking within the appworld. This will leave the apps that do not meet the selection criteria or are not part of the program for some reason - Apps made using Android Runtime and Adobe Air - far down in visibility, effectively killing their sales. 

2. Only one app per developer: I don't know about other people, but I need more than 10k a year to live. Since the program allows only one app per developer, and this program is ensuring that only the selected apps will sell well, I do not have much reason to make more apps. If RIM wants good apps, and has a "Certification Program" in place, why does it think one developer can  only produce one good app?

Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

You guys still don't get it. Stop depending on RIM to give you $10K and sell YOUR product. It will make at least $10k if its valuable to the end-user.

If you're not in the program, just make a good app and it'll shine on its own.
Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful