Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

JohnPinkerton wrote:

JCarty is right, this thread really feels like an attempt to have RIM hand out $10k at every turn and bend in the road. The only thing I wish they'd change is allowing AIR apps. Everything else looks spot on for any dev that is trying to make a quality app.

And Why do you with them to allow AIR apps?

Please use plain text.
Developer
JohnPinkerton
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

I'm confused, where did RIM say that an app not in the program would never be featured, listed on other blogging sites, or promoted via twitter and facebook? Did they say you couldn't promote it yourself and try to get the word out?

Please use plain text.
Developer
JohnPinkerton

Why? It's been said already but a quick recap is because it was the first way to get apps on the PlayBook, it has a BB10 SDK, and a majority of the apps I use regularly on the PlayBook are made from AIR.

There's no reason an AIR app can't be styled to look like BB10 apps, function like BB10 apps using the SDK they released for BB10.
Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv

JohnPinkerton wrote:

I'm confused, where did RIM say that an app not in the program would never be featured, listed on other blogging sites, or promoted via twitter and facebook? Did they say you couldn't promote it yourself and try to get the word out?

RIM is guaranteeing 10k for an app and it is also controlling the featured section.

$10k is not a small number. To get 10k you have to sell 14430 copies of your 99 cent app which is about 40 copies each day every year. By selling 40 copies on a day, you break into top 100 on BlackBerry app world. 

To ensure that a selected apps get 10k RIM will have to put their full force, thereby ensuring only selected apps get featured.

Please use plain text.
Developer
mreed
My Device: ಠ_ಠ

[ Edited ]

The way this program is supposed to work is that the selected apps will be featured continuously till they meet the meet the 10k in sales.

RIM is guaranteeing 10k for an app and it is also controlling the featured section.

Can someone quote me where RIM says it is going to feature apps in this program?

Please use plain text.
Developer
JohnPinkerton

In my day job I have to do what my employer asks, or is expected of me...otherwise guess what, I don't get paid. Crazy, no?

Okay, my last post in this thread to all the devs that are whining about the $10k program. It's all been said.

What are you doing to make developing on a platform worthwhile to you?

Your focus while developing for a platform should be to make the app profitable without RIM's help. Otherwise, you're obviously in it for the minimum amount of effort required, and quite honestly then you don't deserve it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Marc_Paradise
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...

[ Edited ]

ignites wrote:

1) Andriod/AIR Development is noticably missing - I know we want to encourage native experince but RIM allows Andriod and AIR apps so why do they not qualify? We know even RIM writes their original PlayBook browser in AIR so AIR is definitely a quality form of development. Likewise for Andriod, why should we exclude our Andriod friends if they can make a good app which can run which dont use RIM's framework. As long as its not ugly why not? (think Tiny Bird which runs fine on PlayBook and is almost not noticeable as an Andriod app to the regular consumer).

No, sorry. Yes the original browser was written in AIR - and have you noticed how non-responsive the UI is?  The same problem plagues a lot of well-written AIR apps on the PB.  EVen thought they're good apps, they *feel* just a bit sluggish.   You can use AIR to style an app like BB10, but it will not have the same fluid UI because of the intervening layers. (IMO, as are all of my comments here.)

2) The guidelines are too restrictive, a lot of great apps can be made without the use of any of the Service Intergration criterias (of which 1 is required to qualify). A great app that we know is coming to BlackBerry 10 is Blaq, as far as I know (from the PlayBook version) none of these services are being used. Blaq is one of the most purchased applications by an independent developer in BlackBerry App World for the PlayBook. If Blaq doesnt qualify one must wonder if these rules are too tight for the regular Joe developer who can still make great apps but might not need to use all these frameworks.

Yes, finally we have guidelines that prevent any 10-minute crapp from being counted.  This is an excellent move, and I'm glad to see that it finally happened.  I only wish they did it for the free PB offers too, so that the appstore wouldn't have been flooded with so many crappy apps.

Blaq, I suspect, will integrate with the application invocation framework so that it can be used as an invocation target (eg send to). Blaq - written in AIR - also has hte same problems with *slightly* sluggish UI that plagues most of the AIR apps.  

3) Developers need a privary policy? Those who can afford to make one wont qualify for this program to get the 10k (since they are big name devs which will likely make more than 10k), and those who cant afford to write one will need to write one to get the 10k. See the irony? Perhaps RIM can have a boiler plate template avaiable for developers who cant afford legal services to use....

It take two minutes to make a privacy policy.  Just state in plain english that you won't use gathered data (or that you *will* use it for that matter, and how).  This is just complaining for the sake of finding something to complain about - big name, little name - privacy policy is something you can do in 10 minutes.

I know the intent is not to only to have the program for the 10 k offer but to have this as a benchmark of quality but let's reexamine how RIM defines quality and be less restrictive in the rules which developers are bound by. Lets encourage creativitiy and allow developers to use the tools and frameworks they want to make the great quality apps we all want in anticipation of the launch of BlackBerry 10.

Let's not and say we did. This all sounds like one developer who thinks its "too hard" to write an app that takes a bit of forethought and design.  If you want $10,0000 guaranteed, it's not going to be on the app you threw together in the space of an hour, or by recompiling some existing Android app for bb10.

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Marc_Paradise
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...

The forums aren't letting me save any edits, so let me add this:

The focus here isn't on doing the minimum necessary to get RIM to pay you $10k. The focus is on making an app that is good enough that you only need RIM's guarantee if the platform is not a success to begin with. That's the point of the guarantee - it's RIM saying, "Hey we know you're taking a chance on building for this platform - so if you take the time to build something good and the platform flops against our expectations, we've got your back."

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

I think the requirements here are pretty solid -- we've seen the results of repeated abuse of the system from the Free PlayBook promotions in the past. They clearly let that go out of hand -- but this time they aren't just wagering a few PlayBooks -- $10k a developer is a huge wager.

Yeah the SDK requirements suck -- but chances are they'll let more environments in eventually -- remember when they let more in last time as the SDKs matured? As of right now none of the SDKs are finalized so as they change, then so probably will the SDK requirements for this "commitment".

A lot of people had good points throughout this thread -- RIM is creating an incentive for developers who already are willing to put in their blood and soul into their apps even without the $10k challenge -- not just a hand out to get in more apps. The numbers game has finished and they are finally moving on to quality apps vs quantity. I for one am beyond glad the requirements are tightened -- this is going to be a high quality device / OS -- let the apps the come in be just as good if not better.

Again stop shooting for and worrying about the $10k prize -- let ur app speak for itself and stand on its own two legs.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv

Marc_Paradise wrote:
The focus here isn't on doing the minimum necessary to get RIM to pay you $10k. The focus is on making an app that is good enough that you only need RIM's guarantee if the platform is not a success to begin with.  

If the focus is only on making an app that is good, then why restrict it in terms of development platform? Other than the "Made exclusively for BB10" I see no other reason. So if that is the reason - fine.  But don't give me the BS reasons like good apps can't be made on Android or Air. They already have a quality check, so what's the problem?

And also why restrict it to only one app per developer? Can a developer not make more than one good app?

Please use plain text.