Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

[ Edited ]

adwiv wrote:

bdely wrote:

I am guessing that you are a Java developer. If you have a good app idea and think it should qualify for the 10K, then it should have no problem making the 10k on its own. They are only qualifing apps they feel will make 10k on its own.

Yes I am a java developer (it  should have been obvious by now :smileyhappy: ) and have been developing apps for BB for over 5 years. Android runtime was one of the options I was considering for BB10 and had even invested time and efforts into it. Now all that is wasted.

Suppose I have an app idea that has the potential to make 10k on its own. And suppose I make an app using Java or Air and release it on BB10. Now since app ideas are not propriety (maybe except in case of games to some degree), other people will duplicate that app. If RIM certifies a competing app, my app is no more on a level playing field with other apps and there is nothing I can do to get my app certified other than to develop it from scratch using C/C++.

So I don't get to make 10k, because most of the sales would now be diverted to RIM selected/promoted app.

Wait I don't think I follow -- the "Built for BlackBerry" and the "$10k commitment" are two different things -- from what i've read -- you can still have a "Built for BlackBerry" app and not qualify for the commitment -- so you're just not in the running for the challenge -- but you still should be able to get that "seal" if your app is quality. here is the page for the built for blackberry info:

https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/overview.html

no where does it say it has to be a specific SDK. correct me if im wrong though.

EDIT: So just backtracked and I'm gonna take my foot out of my mouth -- just looked up some info -- according to this: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/09/built-for-blackberry-10k-developer-commitment/ Built for BlackBerry seems to only apply to WebWorks and Native -- which seems a little strange. Still think it's gonna change soon -- so keep ur nose up!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
Marc_Paradise
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

[ Edited ]

Accidentally submitted. Erasing, will post a new one.

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

JRab - https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/criteria.html

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

HorizonXP wrote:

Pretty much. Java is pretty **bleep** in terms of speed and abilities.

Java has been the language used by BB's for over 6 years, when the processing power as well as memory was much lesser. I have never had issues with BB's speed or ability except for number crunching like opengl or image processing.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

haha thanks JCarty -- caught myself a few seconds too late -- ur link looks prettier :smileyhappy:

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bdely
My Device: Curve 9380 / PlayBook

JRab wrote:

Wait I don't think I follow -- the "Built for BlackBerry" and the "$10k commitment" are two different things -- from what i've read -- you can still have a "Built for BlackBerry" app and not qualify for the commitment -- so you're just not in the running for the challenge -- but you still should be able to get that "seal" if your app is quality. here is the page for the built for blackberry info:

https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/overview.html

no where does it say it has to be a specific SDK. correct me if im wrong though.

Yes they are two separate things the 10K is a reassurance that the app will make 10K

Please use plain text.
Developer
HorizonXP
My Device: BlackBerry 9900 & PlayBook

[ Edited ]

So have I. I'm writing an Android app right now actually. It's not easy to get good performance out of your applications without putting in a lot of work using debugging tools and proper design/planning. And even then, it's still subject to the whims of the JVM.

That's not the point here. You cannot make a Built fo BlackBerry app using Android, it simply isn't possible. So why should it be eligible for certification? Ergo, why should it be eligible for the $10k guarantee? 

I will reiterate. I support the addition of AIR-based apps. Not Android-based ones. If you can't deal with the requirements that RIM has put forth, then suck it up buttercup. The rest of us devs that actually know what we're doing, will gladly abide by the rules that RIM has put forth. And even if we can't, you can bet we can still make $10k without certification or guarantees from RIM. 

Founder of Pulsecode Inc. and taab
Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bdely
My Device: Curve 9380 / PlayBook

HorizonXP wrote:

So have I. I'm writing an Android app right now actually. It's not easy to get good performance out of your applications without putting in a lot of work using debugging tools and proper design/planning. And even then, it's still subject to the whims of the JVM.

That's not the point here. You cannot make a Built fo BlackBerry app using Android, it simply isn't possible. So why should it be eligible for certification? Ergo, why should it be eligible for the $10k guarantee? 

I will reiterate. I support the addition of AIR-based apps. Not Android-based ones. If you can't deal with the requirements that RIM has put forth, then suck it up buttercup. The rest of us devs that actually know what we're doing, will gladly abide by the rules that RIM has put forth. And even if we can't, you can bet we can still make $10k without certification or guarantees from RIM. 

Just because someone is stating how they feel about this, does not mean they don't know what they are doing. Just relax a bit.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Marc_Paradise
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...

[ Edited ]

@adwiv - I am also a Java dev; all of my BB work to date has been in Java.  . (I actually *liked* the old Java platform for development...)   Yes, I understand your frustration and feel the same way. BBSSH is tens of thousands of lines of code, and I need to rewrite it. Porting to android is a crappy solution and one that I'm not interested in because it will give a sub-par experience.To say I'm not thrilled about this is an understatement.

However: the platform is what it is.  Android apps *do* give a sub-par experience and do not offer tight integration with the BB platform.  AIR apps do *not* perform as well for normal user interaction, even though the difference is very slight it is noticeable. (IMO neither do WebWorks apps, but I assume that improvements there are still in progress.)

That being said: all of your remaining concerns seemed focused around the assumption that your non-certified app   won't ever be promoted by RIM; but you draw this conclusion without any supporting facts.

Given a more reasonable base assumption --  that they have no interest in driving developers away from the platform, -- there's no logical basis for your premise. The majority of apps will *not* be certified, and it won't benefit anybody if those also don't sell.

That said, it's clear that you're not going to have your mind changed on this one. 

Still, I need to make my final pitch :smileyhappy:

• remember that the 10k guarantee is not payment to build an app - it's intended to help cover expenses for those who invest time and money into a new platform  by building quality apps that highlight that platform, in the event that the platform itself doesn't attract the customers we all hope to see.
  • yeah it's inconvenient but it's also a move that makes sense. You can focus on the reason why you'll fail at it, or you can do what developers do - learn the new platform, use it, and make a killer app

The choice is ultimately yours.

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JohnPinkerton
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)

Going against what I said, but....

tl;dr I'm a Java dev and I can't believe my personal workaround to developing for BlackBerry by going Android won't be certified by BlackBerry and I'm not confident that my app is good enough to make $10k so I want a guarantee that RIM didn't originally have to even offer, as no other platform offers it.

Right? You realize how flawed that is, right? Give up the Java thing. I'm rewriting my AIR apps at some point anyways, and if that means up front I don't get the $10k guarantee I'm the only one to blame.

Off to unsubscribe from this thread.

Please use plain text.