Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

[ Edited ]

I have no intention of actual getting the $10K payout.

Given what I've seen on the PlayBook with my own and some other apps, and thinking about the relative volumes we should expect for the phones (i.e. far far higher), I think that the apps I'm planning and building will earn more than $10K all on their own.

This is simply an insurance policy.  You don't buy life insurance planning to take advantage of it (I hope).  You're forced to buy car insurance, but you hope you never need it.  I hope I don't need to "make a claim" against this policy either, and don't expect to.

The other point I want to make is that RIM is clearly encouraging development of native BB10 apps that show off the OS.  Android apps do NOT do that.  AIR apps may do that somewhat, but probably not and maybe never to the extent the others can.  Also, having written a few of them, I conclude that the responsiveness, footprint, and performance of AIR apps will likely never be on par with the Native or even WebWorks apps. (Remember, WebWorks may currently be built on AIR but that's not expected to last... once it's fully native they should be even snappier than they are now, not to mention smaller footprint and launching faster. Edit: I'm told WW in BB10 is already native-based, not AIR.)  I'm comfortable with RIM not encouraging their use, and not insuring the developers who choose to use them.

It also occurs to me that it would be unwise for RIM to bet this same way on Android or AIR apps, given that discerning users can tell the difference.  Over time it seems likely to me that market forces from BB10 users will gradually discourage their development for this platform. 

Truly "Built For BlackBerry 10" apps will outperform the others, with better integration possible, and a better user experience, resulting in greater success for vendors of those apps.  I believe that, and to me this 10K commitment program shows me that RIM does too. I think that's a very good sign.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

Re: Let's loosen up the criterias and encourage creativity in making money together!

adwiv wrote:

Yes I am a java developer [...] Android runtime was one of the options I was considering [...]

Android Java is nothing like BBOS Java. The similarities pretty much end with syntax. The move from "BBOS Java to Android Java" is just as big as from "Android Java to WebWorks" or "Android Java to Cascades" but with subpar results. Unless you have an existing extensive  platform agnostic codebase your legacy code serves only as an reference anyway. Then you might as well go the extra mile and be future-proof. We're even considering this for our AIR apps, which run perfectly well on BB10 without even needing a recompile.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology

JohnPinkerton wrote:

Off to unsubscribe from this thread.

Really? I thought this was one of the more interesting threads we've seen recently. With some good insights from respected developers inbetween the background noise ;-)

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology

Marc_Paradise wrote:
  • remember that the 10k guarantee is not payment to build an app - it's intended to help cover expenses for those who invest time and money into a new platform  by building quality apps that highlight that platform, in the event that the platform itself doesn't attract the customers we all hope to see.

Aren't we ignoring the metaphorical elephant in the room? If the platofrm doesn't attract the customers, the $10K guarantee won't be worth much either.

We should seperate these two subjects, and RIM should do so too in their marketing blurb to prevent this kind of confusion.

On the one hand there is the $10K guarantee which no quality app should really need. I think we all agree on that. 

On the other hand there's the "Built for BlackBerry" logo. In effect similar to Apple's App World policies: do as we say and you'll have no problem. Do otherwise and you'll receive extra scrutiny (yes, I'm making assumptions here). Still, that should pose no problem for a good app, whatever the underlying technology, but it would be nice to get a blit of clarification or confirmation. Even so, it won't be a prime factor in our decision whether to rewrite in Cascades or not. The user experience and other considerations are way more important than any seal of approval.

Please use plain text.
Developer
ignites
My Device: Bold 9900

Wow lots of opnions, to me this is great that the community is so actively involved...

To recap my points (which seems to have been lost in the 7 pages of forums)...

The purpose of my intial post is that 'Built for BlackBerry' is a great program for certification, but for the 10k offer (which is used to entice developers imo) should be open to ALL quality applications regardless of the method of development and specific BlackBerry critieras that is required to make it.

During the original BlackBerry Jam and World Tour they have only been offering the WebWorks and Cascades sessions, however, RIM has said openly multiple of times that YOU choose the tools on how YOU want to develop for BlackBerry how is it that some types of development get preferential treatment.

"The point is developers are smart and we actually like choice, we learn more than 1 language and 1 framework and we pick the best tool for the job when we build apps" ~ Alec Saunders May 1 2012  

(Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBQRRn_YRDU at 5:20)

My issue with this 10k  policy isnt for my benefit but for the benefit of the platform itself. If we can get MORE QUALITY apps on BlackBerry 10, MORE successful BlackBerry 10 is the MORE people with buy a BlackBerry 10 device and MORE revenue for ALL of us (notice how the title is lets encourage creativitiy and make money together) .  I strongly think that its not time right now for RIM to pick and choose the method in which developers create awesomeness but to allow creativity in the process.

Thank you for everyone's input, I know RIM is silently reading and planning more awesomeness to come. (and thanks to Dev Relations for watching over our craziness)

Lastly, I do hope we can continue this discussion without taking everything personally, trolls suck and kill creativity.

Regards =)

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Please use plain text.
Developer
JohnPinkerton
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)

Innovatology makes a good point, maybe we're conflating the $10k guarantee and the Built for BlackBerry program.

If you are looking to get a Built for BlackBerry seal of approval, then you need to build it for BlackBerry, which means not built for Android and also runs on BlackBerry.

If your'e looking for the $10k guarantee, I'd imagine your goal would be to make more than $10k. Minimum wage in Iowa is $15k/year.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

To be fair there is quite a bit of disparity between the announcement of the $10k program, and its details. When first announced it seemed like this would be a useful safety net in exchange for having some apps ready to go at launch. After seeing the details it increasingly looks as if it will not apply to me (due to a combination of not supporting AIR, being limited to a single app, and needing integration with multiple services).

As such my current approach is to more or less ignore this program, and act as if it doesn't exist. So far I have found that doing so, hasn't really changed my plans at all.

This program is mainly aimed at encouraging successful devs on other platforms to port over their existing C or HTML apps.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Retired
samyotte
My Device: Torch

Hey devs,

Lots of great discusison/feedback in the forum on our recent Built for Blackberry & 10k announcements.  I just wanted to chime in here and let you know RIM is listening, value the feedback and will work to provide updates, etc on these programs over the coming months.

On the initial point of encouraging creativity, couldn't agree more in that it is needed.  Having seen what the BB10 platform can do, and combining that with the talent 3rd party developer community has I have no doubt we'll see some amazing apps.  Our goal for Built for BlackBerry is about giving you a recipe of what we believe makes a quality app.  That recipe is just the beginning and shouldn't be seen as something to limit you.

Please use plain text.
Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

There are no official rules for 10K yet so please don't panic!!!

Additionally I've checked the rules for Build for BB and all tools for BB 10 are supported.

Your app needs to be developed using tools designed specifically for BlackBerry® 10. These include IDEs or Frameworks that will compile an application that runs as a Native or WebWorks based BlackBerry 10 application.

Examples include:

Additional Frameworks such as PhoneGap and Appcelerator will be considered as long as they meet BlackBerry 10 UI guidelines and other Built for BlackBerry criteria.

So what's the problem? AIR for BB 10 can be used by my understanding.

Regarding Blaq:

I've bought the app and its UI is not really great BUT it still is the best twitter app for PlayBook (by my opinion). Unfortunatelly just the way how to open a link in a tweet is horable for me (and misterious: I just tap till something happens) and some retweets never happened. But new releases are ment to make app better and I have a fate in the author.

I would also like to mention that all PlayBook apps (including mine) miss the flow from BB 10 platform.And RIM wants that flow.

I am using Cascades now and I see a great difference between my old apps and my new one. And I am not making out.

BlackBerry wants us to use this new frameworks (Cascades or bbUI) to make app more native-like (and competitive with iOS apps w/o any additional work) so generic run-everywhere apps are out of the question for becoming BfBB.

Games are special case because they HAVE TO BE native or use some game engine (again native ones - am I wrong?).

If apps would migrate to bbUI or Cascades, in the most cases they would be ready for certifications (security issues are special case).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Please use plain text.
Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

On the other hand, getting started part says differently :-(
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Please use plain text.