Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Re: Marketing Idea to hit minimum sales

My guess is they wouldn't release the list Brian needed.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Trusted Contributor
Vibes
My Device: PlayBook 2.0

The 10K campaign was a complete mess, a lot of great developers will not get any money even if they archived 1000 USD in sales, because of unclear deadlines, no replies from the BfBTestingTeam and all that stuff!

BlackBerry screwed this up big time!

Developer
BBSJdev

I keep seeing $1000 but the T&C's state the target is minus local taxes, so to feel safe $1500 in sales is probably the safe mark.

Vibes I think it a bit early to say BlackBerry screwed up, and your personal opinion isn't shared by the majority I'd wager, having read the T&C's carefully at the start and followed all the messages sent out by BlackBerry I can personally say I was never unclear of the deadlines.

Yes BFB was a mess at the start but any discrepancies or doubts should have been sorted over the year.
As someone who fought behind the scenes to get fairness in the program I think the processes eventually put in place where equitable and fair.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor
Ovogame
My Device: Playbook, DevAlpha

> so to feel safe $1500 in sales is probably the safe mark.

I'm above that and still don't feel safe :smileyhappy:

JC

http://www.ovogame.com/bb
Developer
BBSJdev

Yes I know what you mean, it would be nice to have an easy way for us to work it out but there you go. :smileyhappy:

Developer
nonesuchnick
My Device: Z10 LE

It can't get more clear than the VP of Developer Relations publicly posting the deadline dates on the developer blog. What is not clear is why BlackBerry decided not to honour these dates. It really seems like they went back on their word in order to save a few bucks. I can't believe that many more of us would have qualified that it would save them that much, when so many of us had trouble hitting the revenue target. In any case they had the 100 million cap.

Developers were upset at launch that the program was broken, look back on the "This program is a joke" threads. Alec Saunders' messages were supposed to show they had listened to developers and fixed things. But no, looks like it really was a joke, at least to BlackBerry. And the joke was on developers.

Nick
Learn to run and get in shape with Couch 2AnyK Pro, a Built for BlackBerry native Couch to 5K (C25K) app for BlackBerry 10, available in BlackBerry World.
Developer
BBSJdev

I think if you look closely I was the author of some of those threads. :-)

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Built-For-BlackBerry/This-program-is-still-a-joke/m-p/2186877
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/10K-Developer-Commitment/Please-join-in-the-campaign-to-fix-1...

I'm not going to defend BFB in the early days but as someone who put their app in early and waited 2 months just for standard approval (not the BFB approval) setting a date 2 months before I got my app out while others submitting before and after me did wasn't fair on me. So it's clear to me why the dates were shifted.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

@nonesuchnick

Did you try to send e-mail to jamzonesupport@blackberry.com as Mark Sohm suggested?

Seems to me like you should qualify. Let us know if you get any update.

Developer
BBSJdev

FYI a blog has just gone up on the $10k commitment...

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2014/03/blackberrys-10k-developer-commitment-program-is-now-closed/

Developer
nonesuchnick
My Device: Z10 LE

BBSJdev wrote:
I think if you look closely I was the author of some of those threads. :-)

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Built-For-BlackBerry/This-program-is-still-a-joke/m-p/2186877
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/10K-Developer-Commitment/Please-join-in-the-campaign-to-fix-1...

I'm not going to defend BFB in the early days but as someone who put their app in early and waited 2 months just for standard approval (not the BFB approval) setting a date 2 months before I got my app out while others submitting before and after me did wasn't fair on me. So it's clear to me why the dates were shifted.

Exactly! There was a reason Alec made that post and extended the dates for Built for BlackBerry approval and 10K eligibility. Because things had been such a mess, because they hadn't been prepared for so many submissions, and because they hadn't made the Built for BlackBerry criteria clear and unfairly rejected apps. The fact that they've now gone back on these promised extended dates, and retroactively done it after the program closed, is so underhanded and unfair it's almost comical. 

See the 'updated' blog post here:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/03/dates-to-remember-2/

And see the outcry started by developers in this other 10K forum thread: 

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/10K-Developer-Commitment/Ridiculous-update-on-the-Alec-Sounde...

Yes, I did email jamzonesupport@BlackBerry.com, but based on the blog post update fiasco, I'm no longer holding my breath. BlackBerry seems to have decided that it's better to save a hundred thousand or two that they promised to Developers, than stick to their word and the commitment they made to us over a year ago. The crazy thing is, how many more of us would have qualified? I didn't make the revenue target anyway. I really don't think they would have been in danger of hitting their 100 million cap, even if they had stuck to the dates promised.

My whole problem is that they went back on their word. The blog post was painfully clear, as long as you got Built for BlackBerry approval before March 3rd 2014, then you still qualified. A year later: Oops, sorry! Typo! We covered our butts with these legal terms and conditions. That's deceptive, and not the way to build a good relationship, let alone a business one.

I hope BlackBerry has a great new incentive plan ready to rebuild developer trust, because they've certainly lost mine.

Nick

Learn to run and get in shape with Couch 2AnyK Pro, a Built for BlackBerry native Couch to 5K (C25K) app for BlackBerry 10, available in BlackBerry World.