Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Developer
thubalek
My Device: Dev Alpha C, Playbook 32 GB
Accepted Solution

Privacy Policy for vendor? I would prefer PP per app

Hello,

Blackberry does require PP per vendor. It does not make much sense to me as every app handles different private data (some of them don't handle no sensitive data, some of the handle a lot of them) so it makes much more sense to me to have one privacy policy common for all apps.

I would prefer PP per app to PP per vendor.

Could anybody from BB comment on this topic?

Or even better: could anybody from BB provide sample PP?

Thanks

Tom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- My Blackberry 10 app at http://blackberry.hubalek.net
-- My Android apps at http://android.hubalek.net
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Privacy Policy for vendor? I would prefer PP per app

I believe the privacy policy thing is related to various laws in certain jurisdictions such as the UK and Canada (and, doubtless, many others) where *companies* are obliged to have a privacy policy and to disclose to their customers, and others with whom they may deal, the full nature of their recording, use, archiving, and destruction of such data. It would be a legal matter relating to the business entity involved, not just a RIM-imposed requirement that could be defined per-app like that.

If you have per-app specifics, incorporate that into your general privacy policy in some fashion, maybe simply by having a section for each app that has such deviations from the more general policy.

Obviously this is just my take on it... I haven't read more about the new requirement than you have (and probably less, at this point).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
iubendino
My Device: Developer

Re: Privacy Policy for vendor? I would prefer PP per app

I've already posted this info onto another thread, but when it comes to privacy policies things should actually become a lot better after RIM (along with the other app store owners) signed a "joint statement of principles" with the California GA (here's a little info regarding privacy policies in app stores that I've assembled a little while ago).

Re: privacy policy samples, you can find the link in my description. It's a service that takes care of crafting privacy policies. You can generate a similar free one to take a look at how our privacy policies look like. I hope this helps, should there be remaining questions, we're always happy to help on our support forum as well.  

Please use plain text.