Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

10K Developer Commitment

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Ridiculous update on the Alec Sounders blog post

Surprise!!! Alec Saunders (or could be somebody else) made a ridiculous update to the famous blog page that was initially posted a year ago:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/03/dates-to-remember-2/

The third bullet point now states "March 4, 2013 – Sale Period End Date". So the sale period is.. 1 day!!!  :Oops:

BlackBerry - are you kidding us? Please don't play such games! You know how important is for a platform to have variety of applications. We invested so much time and effort to learn the new ecosystem and build the apps you needed! And you try to change the conditions after the fact? After we were explicitly notified that in order to qualify for the 10k commitment the BfB certification can be earned by March 3, 2014?

We are very sorry, but we can not accept that!

Developer
Zmey
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, DAC

Re: Ridiculous update on the Alec Sounders blog post

I believe this is a typo.

Andrey Fidrya, @zmeyc on twitter
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

FYI a blog has just gone up on the $10k commitment...

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2014/03/blackberrys-10k-developer-commitment-program-is-now-closed/

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer

Unfortunately I don't think it is a typo - we have a backup of the original page and it clearly states March 3, 2014. It appears that Blackberry is trying to change the BfB deadline to March 4, 2013, but messed up...

On the other hand I just noticed a new blog post where the year appears to be correct  :Wacko::

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2014/03/blackberrys-10k-developer-commitment-program-is-now-closed/

Hope the above post will not get swiftly updated.. Fun!  :Yes:

Developer
BBSJdev

It's a typo don't stress so much.. Fun! :Yes:

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer

OK, trying to be kool :Cool2: .. We assume the updated (strikethrough) text in the blog post is also a typo:

even if you have not yet obtained Built for BlackBerry approval by March 4

whether your app has been Built for BlackBerry approved yet or not

:Rockon:

Developer
BBSJdev

LOL, stop looking at a blog post from over a year ago, you'll live longer without the stress.

Developer

Just noticed that the date was changed in another place (without strikethrough) in the Alec's updated post:

"Please note that you must, however, obtain your Built for BlackBerry approval sometime before March 4, 2013 to be eligible for the $10k Developer Commitment program in any fashion."

Yesterday (March 4, 2014) the original line was:

"Please note that you must, however, obtain your Built for BlackBerry approval sometime before March 3, 2014 to be eligible for the $10k Developer Commitment program in any fashion."

Seems like somebody decided to edit the post and make a lot of typos.. we are still cool though.. :Whistling:

Developer
nonesuchnick
My Device: Z10 LE

Wow. Just, wow. After 2 weeks if trying to get somebody at BlackBerry to admit to the dates promised in this post - they retroactively change them AFTER the program ends! I really expected more from BlackBerry and to do the right thing and honour these dates. I mean, you can't get much higher than the VP of Developer Relations, the buck stops with him. What he promised should be what they go by. If it was truly a mistake, why wait until the end of the program to correct it? It should have been corrected long ago in this case. This just seems underhanded, and dishonest.

Some developers, like me, spent the whole year believing they could still qualify and working to fix up and resubmit their apps for Built for BlackBerry.

This makes me sick. I really believed BlackBerry was committed to their Developers, and I've been giving them the benefit of the doubt this whole time hoping they would do the right thing and honour their word. I was wrong though, this program was a joke, and the joke was on us.

Nick
Learn to run and get in shape with Couch 2AnyK Pro, a Built for BlackBerry native Couch to 5K (C25K) app for BlackBerry 10, available in BlackBerry World.
Trusted Contributor
Vibes
My Device: PlayBook 2.0

[ Edited ]

Some developers, like me, spent the whole year believing they could still qualify and working to fix up and resubmit their apps for Built for BlackBerry.

You're not alone. :/

BlackBerry owns me thousand of dollars but just changed the rules, so they don't have to pay anything! 

What a scam!

Congrats BlackBerry, you really know how to scare away developers!

I'm out.