Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Regular Contributor
robertsteven192
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: ATT

Re: 0.9.4 Simulator Issues

i am also getting a black screen after the intial loading screen... however i cannt enable assisted virtualization as it is greyed out in options.... how do i get this to work right??

My PlayBook Apps -------- My Apps
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

What is "assisted virtualization"?  If that's a VMware setting, I don't think you should be changing anything RIM doesn't advise you to change.

Also, what platform are you using? Mac/Win?  32/64?

No issues here with Windows 7 32-bit and the recommended VM settings, though as usual the first launch took a noticeable extra time (several minutes) at the splash screen.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
robertsteven192

i am using windows 7 64bit and am using the same settings i used to install ths sim 093 so idk... i tried redoonloading and installing 4 times now ill reinstall and let it sit see if that does anything

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sky858
My Device: Not Specified

My application is working perfectly in the 0.9.4 simulator except for one issue and it is an odd one.  I ran the application from flash builder like usual, but it installed the application twice (there are two icons for my app showing) Is this just a glitch?  Is there a way I can uninstall my app from the simulator without having to create a new virtual machine so I can make sure it doesn't always install twice?

The second question I have is about permissions.  I noticed that 0.9.4 uses permissions and my app uses the shared object so I need to use them.  I put <permission>access_shared</permission> into the blackberry-tablet.xml.  Is this all I need to do?  The app works fine with this in the simulator and I was under the impression it would not run if I did not use the permission so I assume everything is ok, but it just seems too simple and I thought this would cause the simulator to prompt me if I want to allow shared object, but I didn't get any prompt when running the app.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

@sky858: I KNOW!!!! isnt that bugging the -stuff- out of you?? this only happens with only one of my apps. i cant figure it out for the life of my me. all my other apps are fine and install just one icon. I've yet to find a solution - even a fresh install of the simulator still yeilds the same problem. this has been happening to me since the older simulator. One thing i did notice, when i remove the blackberry-tablet.xml it works fine (minus the configuration of the icon and what not). not sure if thats the cause but man i thought i was alone lol.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

sky858 wrote:

The second question I have is about permissions.  I noticed that 0.9.4 uses permissions and my app uses the shared object so I need to use them.  I put <permission>access_shared</permission> into the blackberry-tablet.xml.  Is this all I need to do?  The app works fine with this in the simulator and I was under the impression it would not run if I did not use the permission so I assume everything is ok, but it just seems too simple and I thought this would cause the simulator to prompt me if I want to allow shared object, but I didn't get any prompt when running the app.

It has been noted that some permissions do prompt while others don't. It seems they are not perfect just yet.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
robertsteven192

enabling 3D acceleration seemed to have done it! i also removed cd drive and sound card... idk which one did it but o well it works!

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

davidrlorentz wrote:

Is sound working on 0.9.4? I don't see this mentioned in the release notes, though sound was broken on 0.9.3 (link)

My MP3 test code also works again, so basically sound is back to at least where it was at 0.9.2, before 0.9.3 broke it.

Oddly, this isn't listed in the Fixed Issues (yet).

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
studiochris
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™
My Carrier: .

You two are definintely not the only ones. I've had this since 0.9.3. It was the exception, but turned into the norm. In finalizing everything, I deleted/reinstalled 0.9.3 simulator 5-6 times yesterday just to get back to a clean state.

When the app is installed with 2 icons, uninstall removes one of the icons. Resetting the VM removes the other icon. On the next install, it places 2 icons again, but they're not right beside the Browser icon; instead, the two spaces occupied by the previous icons are skipped and left blank while the two icons take up spaces 4 and 5 on the top row. It continues from there skipping more and more spaces and/or adding more and more icons because of version changes. My last 0.9.3 simulator had at least 8 icons of my app on the home screen when I trashed it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

robertsteven192 wrote:

enabling 3D acceleration seemed to have done it! i also removed cd drive and sound card... idk which one did it but o well it works!

This has been in the installation guide since at least 0.9.2, currently as item 15.  It's small and easy to miss, but it's there: "In the 3D graphics section, select the Accelerate 3D graphics check box."

Please use plain text.