Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: 0.9.4 Simulator Issues

mrpinc wrote:

Also noticing that the header bar containing the settings will somtimes dissapear, hiding the clock, dev info button.

That's a sign that the qnx.systemtray process has died, completely.  It used to happen, but was pretty rare.  I've now had it occur far sooner than it ever did before, so it seems likely it's even flakier that it used to be.  (I suppose it's a good thing that it's largely non-essential after you switch to development mode.)

(I've confirmed that the task has died with "pidin" via SSH.  There's no way to restart it other than be rebooting the sim.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Has anyone else had trouble getting into developer mode?

• I select the toggle for developer mode.
  • Password dialog appears and I enter the password.
  • I close the virtual keyboard (lower left button in keyboard)
  • Keyboard goes away, dialog goes away and the bottom "shade" with an up arrow goes away and I cannot get back to the main screen.

Developer

John, had similar troubles.

Try clicking on the Back button.  It may be necessary to have the state saved.

Also note you can usually do a bottom-swipe to close the settings pages.  It wouldn't work in an app, of course, but works fine for the OS screens.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: BB Style

Have you tried to swipe up from bottom bezel? I have seen something like this but not repeatable now though....also once when i turned off the password and turned off the development mode....i could no longer turn either one on...it kept going off. I had to reboot to resolve it.
Developer

sky858 wrote:
The second question I have is about permissions.  I noticed that 0.9.4 uses permissions and my app uses the shared object so I need to use them.  I put <permission>access_shared</permission> into the blackberry-tablet.xml. 

I'm not prepared to assume that the documentation in the Developers Guide is correct on this item. 

It says that to "Access the shared file system" you have to use access_shared, then goes on to list the three APIs supposedly involved:

• flash.net.SharedObject
  • flash.filesystem.FileStream
  • flash.filesystem.File

The thing is, there's no good reason to call it the "shared" filesystem, as far as I'm concerned, unless they really meant to refer to the areas under the shared/ folder, which is space shared by all apps.

The SharedObject info, however, is generally used for app-local data, where the file goes into a subfolder of the app "sandbox", and no other apps can see it.

I have a feeling whoever wrote that may not have fully understood what access_shared  was really for, or may simply have had a hard time explaining it clearly.  Possibly the word "shared" could simply be removed and it would just say "Access the file system"... if that's correct, then it is required with SharedObject and everything else, but it seem unlikely to me since there should be no need for special permission just to write to the app's sandbox.   (And no need for one with the word "shared" in the name.)

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PlayBook

I hate this generic threads - there is no way to mark anything resolved and you don't know who is answering who. 

@peter

I think you are right, access_shared required to access shared folder only. SharedObject is not actually stored in there (I don't even think it is stored on disk). Want to send bug to docs?

The fact that it is not promting user is temporary, in the final version it will - and it will return some sort of permission denied when you try to access shared without asking this capability

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

So should I take out the permission access_shared and resubmit since I am only using the local shared object?  I have already submitted my signed app with access_shared in there so will that cause a problem? 

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PlayBook

sky858: you don't have to. It will just prompt user for this. And if user say yes or not it does not really matter because you not actually using it. However if you want a clean version I would remove it - but wait until maybe actuall playbook release so you can test it properly.

Developer
My Device: Playbook

@jtegan,

I had the same issue. Try setting the password first, minimize the keyboard then click okay then turn on development mode. It will ask for your password again.
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Did you finally manage to get it installed? I had the same issue, and just gave up eventually.