Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook

10,000 apps by PlayBook launch time!

[ Edited ]

THIS statistic says there will be about 4,000 apps by launch time. 

I hope it actually ends up being some where close to 10,000 apps. (which sounds far more impressive). :manhappy:

Solutions: 6,097
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: 10,000 apps by PlayBook launch time!

You developers better get your honkus in gear and get those apps produced and accepted then! :smileyvery-happy:

Good luck, I hope your goal is the true one.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

All those apps at launch would be fantastic, I just don't know if I can wait that long for a battery to load (unless of course it lasts for days weeks after that lol)

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Even 4000 will be diffilcult by March.  There is 266 registered developers on this forum.  Let's add another 50 preferred development houses.  Let's say that each developer/software shop develops 3 apps by March.  That only gives us about 950ish apps.  So maybe a 1000 would be a good milestone to reach.

Developer

Yes, but how many developers don't actually post to this forum? I know for the longest time I didn't (although that was out of the fact I had no idea what anyone was talking about). I could see experienced developers never venturing into this neck of the woods, and who knows how many numbers that could be.

It's a shame App World doesn't have a "Tablet OS only" section, but I'm sure RIM is calculating this off of how many registered developers they have and how many apps have been submitted over the past two months. Considering that we'll probably see a surplus of submissions as we get closer to March 15th, I'm sure they may have inflated their numbers of what they're expecting slightly, but I can' t see them blowing smoke like that and just grabbing a random number.

OR

Some app approver from RIM was overhead sitting in a bar saying "Man, I must have looked at like 4000 apps today!",

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
New Developer
New Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

I understand the media obsession with the number of apps as an indicator of developer interest and support. But I'm far more interested in the quality than the quantity. I'm working on small get my feet wet app to learn the platform and take advantage of the wonderful Playbook offer of course. But I'm not going to rush my most interesting app out the door until iit's ready to do me and the platform justice.

Don't get me wrong. It's fantastic to see the developer support!!! I'd just prefer to see the Playbook draw people with really thoughtful and innovative apps rather than sheer quantity.
Developer

Yes, the majority of people hide out on the forum, but the 266 came from the number "registered" for the free PB offer.  You can certainly hide out, but everyone wants the free PB.

Developer

@JLX:  1000% agree.  I know a good number of apps on the iPad are good, but are 1000's good enouph to use more than once or good enouph to want to pay for them?  I rather see 1,000 great apps than 9,000 poor apps and 1,000 good apps.  A lot of what makes an app "appear" to be good is the graphics and layout.  You want to engage the user.  First impressions and reliability are important.  Missing functionality can be added.  Good looking apps that crash may not get a second try.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

[ Edited ]

jtegen wrote:

Yes, the majority of people hide out on the forum, but the 266 came from the number "registered" for the free PB offer.  You can certainly hide out, but everyone wants the free PB.

Just to clarify that, the "registered developer" thing has nothing to do with the free PlayBook offer.  It's just those of us who want to be loudmouths here, like me, and sometimes help others, and get some form of official recognition for it.  Like the Level 1 thingy.  (For what that's worth... I noticed that like clockwork after a month various of us got it while those who'd been here two months were now Level 2.  I'm sure there's more to it than just time, but that seems to be part of it at lower levels anyway.)

I'll also point out from past experience in other similar forums (most significantly the Usenet newsgroup comp.lang.python, which is mirrored to and from the main python mailing list), that there's a ratio of something like 100:1 of "lurkers" (the official term for those who read but don't post), and the posters.  That means if there's 100 of us who have posted, there's probably 10,000 reading.  I know of several personally who are developing apps but have visited this forum only once or twice, never posting.

I expect RIM estimates the 4000, if it's more than a marketing guy's empty claim, from a number of things including downloads of the SDK, people registered for this forum, those who officially "registered" as developers by adding a post to that sticky topic at the top of the list, number of apps submitted so far and other things that let them judge the trend.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Just want to confirm that I don't have to register somewhere for the free PB...just have to submit an app?

Btw I love the recognition program and hope to be able to help other developers one day.
- Hockey DrillBook -