Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

10.2 Exit

I have an AIR app that worked fine on the Q10 developer device, running an earlier 10.2.  I got reports that the app fails under a released 10.2.  I tested it under the simulator (10.2.0.1791) and it starts up, displays fine for about a second and then exits.  It does not seem to crash since I am not getting a crash notice in Flash Builder debugger.

Thoughts on what I can test?

Other AIR apps run fine in the simulator so it is something about one particular app after it starts.

Developer

Re: 10.2 Exit

I was able to telnet into the simulator and in the log directory of the app, I have

adl.core

air-log

log

Nothing odd in the two log files.  The core is binary file.

Thoughts?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Are you running a debug build on the latest sim and not getting even any unhandled exception messages?

I was curious about how to proceed in such a situation as well, since from time to time I've had crashes with similarly little info to go on.  With a C program you'd typically load the core file into gdb and look at the stack trace prior to the crash .... but, a decent amount of googling didn't find me a similar way to retrieve a stack trace from an adl.core file.

If you end up needing to get a stack trace from your adl.core file and find out how to do it, please post here for the benefit of others.

Developer

BTW the most recent problem I had w/crash on startup had to do with ANE packaging that BB10 didn't like.  I was trying to package the bbm.ane into an app using my usual commandline flow, which packages ANE's into the bar at the top level of the bar, next to the air folder, and luckily my air log file told me it couldn't find the bbm ANE (so, I didn't have to attempt to find the source of the problem via the adl.core file and a stack trace).  Unfortunately it didn't say why it couldn't fine the bbm ANE, even though the ANE was clearly sitting right there in my bar file.

I looked at the BBM sample app's bar file on github and found that the bbm ANE was merged into the air folder.  Historically, I had been using a commandline like:

blackberry-airpackager    [... other arguments]   -C <path to ANE file>  <ANE file>

to package e.g. the QNXDevice.ane at the top level of the bar, with no problems.

But, for the bbm ANE, I apparently have to do:

blackberry-airpackager    [... other arguments]   -ane <ANE file>

which merges the bbm ANE down into my app's air folder.

Developer

All the ANE's are from the same version of the SDK.

The app runs fine on the Q10 deverloper phone running 10.2.0.341, but not the simulator running a later version of the OS.

The Q10 dev phone wont allow me to update to the current release of the OS via OTA.

Developer

You're running a debug build on the sim?

Developer

Yes. trace starts fine, but then the app just quits. No stack trace.
Developer

So to make certain I had the latest, I re-installed to:

• BB AIR SDK 3.2.1
  • Adobe AIR 3.5
  • Updated ANE paths to 3.2.1 path

Running Flash Builder 4.6

If I change the -app.xml file name space from 3.1 to 3.5, I get:

Error occurred while packaging the application:

Packaging failed:1

C:\Users\jtegen\AppData\Local\Temp\bar-app7592224088637061676.xml: error 102: Invalid namespace http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/3.5

Error: AIR validation failed

So is it just being packaged wrong?

Developer

Every once in a while it will not dump in the simulator.
It load the splash
Displays the app
Then a moment later, it closes.
Developer

Could it just be the simulator and it quits the app because of resource limitation.

Seems odd that it runs fine on the Q10 dev device (older OS), but crashes in the simulator.