Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

Re: 3 days left PB where are you?

Not to mention we're mostly upset because RIM has thrown us under the bus here. We're getting slagged in reviews, all when our apps have not only been approved (signifying RIM has teste them and they work) but RIM has called developers asking them to put their apps for sale! They're lucky they have any apps in appworld after this debacle. GeeReader is a great app that had lots of hype. Now it's been shot down, so all people will think is it's **bleep**.

So thanks RIM, cause this is beyond us just not getting our hardware, it's about you dragging us down while the majority of us our doing our best to keep you afloat.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
GoldenJoe
My Device: Not Specified

Looks like this is your first time at the corral, son. Let me be the first to say, welcome to BlackBerry development.
Perhaps you didn't read the agreement. RIM promised you a PlayBook, but they didn't promise to deliver it by a certain day, nor did they promise to give you the tools you want, or whatever else it is you want pity over.
Seriously. For how many of you was this your first time developing a mobile application? Did you not see the launches of iOS, Android, and webOS? Did you think that this would somehow magically be different, and that RIM would provide you a mature development environment and early hardware? You really thought that it was RIM's priority to send out early devices to you, some random individual developer, when their own employees have to be careful not to use them in public prior to launch. Ha. This board is such a riot.
Oh yeah...and since everyone loves to kudo up any hate post on me, I won't be doing those tutorials and classes that I discussed contributing once my game was done. Good job on that. The future lurkers thank you, as do I. You've saved me a great deal of time.

macwarrior wrote:

GoldenJoe, everyone complains about you so I don't know if there's much point to this, but --

The developers' end of the bargain was to jump through RIM's hoops and create applications for the Playbook to drum up hype and sales. RIM's end of the bargain was to provide the developers with hardware to keep developing applications. It's frustrating to be this late in the game and still not have any way of building applications that use half the playbook's actual functionality -- I feel like I have done all the stuff they asked and helped them inflate their marketing numbers without them holding up their side of the deal. Or even telling us when the things might arrive, which would be fine as long as there was a specific date!

And don't use the "you're getting it for free" excuse. RIM is paying their marginal cost to get each developer set up and building applications for the playbook, a developer who might otherwise have not bothered because the store is so tiny and specific to only one platform with no actual hardware in the wild yet (I know I wouldn't have bothered without this promotion, would have just kept going with android apps). One app may not seem to make much of a difference, but I'll bet that having 3000 apps instead of 2000 is enough to sell an extra 1000 playbooks and make RIM back whatever money they spent on the promotion. I've put my 500 dollars' worth of work into my apps, and contributed to the number they can use to convince more people to purchase the tablet, so it's not as though they're just mailing out hardware without getting anything in return. Like they did at that party.

It's just disrespectful of RIM to treat their developers this way when they should realize that without the developers, NO ONE is going to buy the playbook. It's already getting slagged in reviews because it's missing applications -- do they really think that dawdling on supporting the only people who have demonstrated a commitment to improving the situation is going to make it any better??

Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

GoldenJoe wrote:

Oh yeah...and since everyone loves to kudo up any hate post on me, I won't be doing those tutorials and classes that I discussed contributing once my game was done. Good job on that. The future lurkers thank you, as do I. You've saved me a great deal of time.

Ok that doesn't make any sense. You want to contribute something or you don't. If you let this depend on a few people who post responses that you consider hostile you were probably not planning on doing it in the first place.

P.S. I have nothing against you nor have I ever kudod up a 'hate post' on you.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Device: PlayBook

GoldenJoe wrote:
Seriously. For how many of you was this your first time developing a mobile application? Did you not see the launches of iOS, Android, and webOS? Did you think that this would somehow magically be different, and that RIM would provide you a mature development environment and early hardware? 

further:

i recall iOS, known as iPhone OS at the time, was a little different - but not in a positive way.  you see, Apple didn't provide an SDK for almost an entire year after they launched the iPhone, but they did offer some lame web-based-apps SDK in order ot develop for Mobile Safari.  most, if not all developers who paid Apple $99/year to develop applications for Apple's App Store already owned devices, and if they didn't already then Apple certainly wasn't going to give them one.  additionally, if my memory serves me right, the iPhone OS SDK was still in beta when the App Store first launched.

Google offers (or did offer last time i checked) development hardware, which is basically an unlocked G1, and it's definitely not free, rather it's a way to not have to sign a contract with a teleco in order to develop.  Simulator testing for Android is laughable.  the java-based Android Simulator is so slow (again, last time i checked) that it's practically unusable.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Regular Contributor
macwarrior
My Device: None

GoldenJoe, the reason everyone kudos up hate posts on you is because you are insufferably full of yourself. You're invariably the first person to say "I told you so" when someone else can't figure something out, and yet you couldn't get your application signed (despite being here for nearly two years!), something that most of the developers managed to pull off just fine themselves. Now you're acting ridiculously smug about people complaining about the total lack of communication from RIM, as if you somehow benefit from other people having a bad experience and not knowing anything. The only conclusion I can come to is that you're upset at all these new developers flooding in because you're no longer that special-flower enfant terrible BlackBerry developer that you used to be, and you feel threatened. Well, either way you're screwed, because either the Playbook is going to fail and bring RIM down and you'll be out of a job, or the Playbook will be a big success and there will be ten times the developers here, washing away your unpleasant posts in a flood of actually useful information.

No one was expecting devices to appear in our hands months before the public had access to them, but most of us WERE expecting that we'd have them at the same time RIM shipped out units to reviewers, or at the very least by the time the press embargo had been lifted. There's literally nothing for the company to lose by doing that, but every day they don't supply developers with functioning tools is another day in the critical first weeks of release that the app world will be filled with broken applications that don't take advantage of any tablet-specific features. RIM should have known that the most critical feature of any mobile platform these days is whether it has solid developer support and a good base of applications, and the reviews are proving again and again that they've already made a mistake by not focusing on that more closely, but they're doing nothing to indicate that they care in the slightest about keeping around the developers they've wranged via this promotion. They can still salvage their position but the first step is to reach a branch out to the people who will help them! Do you honestly think that RIM has any chance at all in this iOS and Android-dominated marketplace without us?

And about the tutorials? Don't make me laugh! Do you not see how self-centered that statement is? You're certainly not the only person in the world who's ever developed a mobile application and you're FAR from the only source of tutorials. Isn't that the most wonderful thing about the Playbook? Anyone can develop an application using all the existing examples, strategies and libraries for AIR, without having to rely on GoldenJoe at all!

Developer
XoomMan

[ Edited ]

Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Hey Everyone,

I know everyone is on edge right now with the whole situation. Everyone has their own set of views on the situation are handling it differently. But please do not attack each other it won't lead to anything good -- just more ill words that's going to offend one another. There is no sense on attacking each other. We are developers and this is a community. Please keep it clean. If you don't like what someone has to say about their view either be constructive or just let it go.

These are rough times for some people and if they feel they need to vent then let them. Please, this is me pleading to everyone just keep it clean. We don't want every thread to be locked. It doesn't show good character and this community will be hurt the most.

Please set your differences aside and be kind. This message doesn't go out to anyone or group specifically -- it goes out to everyone. Please take a minute before replying or writing messages. I love this community and everyone else does I am sure. Let's keep it together and this will blow over.

Again this is my plead to everyone -- be courteous and stop all this bashing. This community has been a family and we've been growing. Let's keep that growth intact -- please.

Keep up the great work everyone has been doing -- awesome community of developers. In the end we are all we have -- let's not ruin that.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

Fair point JRab - and I was thinking the same thing. This topic has turned into an argument about how RIM has / has not let down us devlopers and become unecessarily personal.

There are some valid points made, but it's all going around in circles now and no one is benefitting from these kinds of posts.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor
bigmokujin

Well said JRab.

Developer
tensioncore
My Device: Bold 9900/Z10 Special Edition

Another thread like this one and we're no better than the Crackberry forums. More specifically another thread like this one and I'm gone.
CEO/Lead Developer - Tensioncore™ Design Studios
http://tncr.ws/ - ShortenThis!™ for Blackberry Playbook | ShortenThis!™ for BlackBerry® 10
The Periodical Toe A highly informative Table of Elements
DrawThis! A fun drawing app for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™!
http://www.tensioncore.com/ - Tensioncore™ Web Hosting