Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

3G/4G Network Access and GPS

[ Edited ]

I keep on hearing that the PB will rely on BB phones for network access (except for wifi), and there is not GPS on the device but will rely on cell phones for GPS (or third party bluetooth devices).  Can BB confirm this one way or another? 

Please, please, please have GPS on the device and not rely on outside devices for this.

It will be interesting to see performance without native 3G/4G data access directly in the device and having to rely on pairing with a mobile phone for data access.  For some more net-centric applications that are not near a hot-spot, I cant imagine this will be fast.  But if it has a USB slot, I should be able to use my Verizon USB data card (correct)?

Developer
My Device: Playbook

Re: 3G/4G Network Access and GPS

I, too, would like a little more information about data connections and such.

However, I have seen this blurb that talks a little about WWAN expansion:  Jim Balsillie says BlackBerry PlayBook has a 'module cavity,' hints at NFC capabilities

More information will certainly come out about this over time, but no time like the present as far as I am concerned.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: 3G/4G Network Access and GPS

[ Edited ]

That cavity could add a GPS chipset on it too (hint, hint).  If the concern is battery life (rightfully so), that have a preference control about GPS updates and/or throttle it based on battery level.

If the user uses a USB GPS receiver, it will suck battery just as much with no throttle feature.

Speaking of USB, will QNX SDK bridge the lack of USB in AIR with its own API that bridges QNX OS (Unix level) USB interface to some socket level API up to the AIR layer?