Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
billbsb
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.

Re: AIR 3.4 in Adobe Labs

[ Edited ]

I'm an optimistic guy so I have this theory which makes sense:

1. RIM can't update the AIR runtime just yet because they have too many apps developed specifically for 3.1. Things like the keyboard, browser, email and other low level integration with the OS. Well, at least that's the case on the Playbook. Updating the runtime could - or maybe do - break the whole thing. But since they have licensed AIR for their platform, they take away much of the burden of supporting it from Adobe. Of course both companies help each other for maintaining the runtime but in the end, RIM is the ultimate responsible for updating it. This is their own chains.
  2. Once the core apps have migrated to Native/Cascades and replace their AIR counterparts without any crashes and bugs, RIM will be free from it's own chains and will be able to merge the changes from the latest AIR runtime to their own code base. Fix everything that got broken, implement specific hardware acceleration and OS links, do tons of testing, freeze and release.
  3. Once the low level parts of the runtime are hardwired to the OS's core and optimized for the hardware, it will probably be much easier to integrate every update of the runtime released by Adobe.

Quite a long shot but it's just a optimistic theory. So I say: let them improve as soon as possible all the native/cascades tools, SDKs so they can replace core AIR apps for Native ones. This will break their own chains faster and give us what we want: latest Adobe AIR runtime!

Cheers!

Cheers!
Developer
DachFlach
My Device: Not Specified

I am just returning to BB to submit apps developed in AIR.

I am confused by this thread..    

AIR apps are no longer eligible for the Built for BlackBerry promotion ( 10K offering )?

When I look at this page: https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/criteria.html

I see this:

"Your app needs to be developed using tools designed specifically for BlackBerry 10. These include IDEs or Frameworks that will compile an application that runs as an AIR, Native or WebWorks based BlackBerry 10 application."

What is the real deal?

Regular Contributor
bigmokujin
My Device: PlayBook

AIR apps ARE eligible.  The reason for the thread, is because the initial announcement did not include the AIR tech stack.  And it was a general discussion surrounding the difference in what Adobe has released and what was supported on the BB Playbook and BB10.

HTH

Brandon

Developer
DachFlach

Thanks Brandon.
Developer
spoutnik
My Device: DevAlpha, PlayBook

Hey! Looks like we might get AIR 3.3 or 3.4 as Christmas present .. at least on the BB10 devices:

https://developer.blackberry.com/air/downloads/roadmap/

"We're working with Adobe to bring up a newer version of the Adobe AIR runtime on the platform. This will be a BlackBerry 10 delivery only. Currently we're working through the details of either the v3.3 or v3.4 runtime based on both source code availability and release timing."

Developer
DachFlach

Thank you for the Heads Up!
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

It does not say Christmas for 3.4. It says TBD. Only Keyboard support is scheduled for Christmas. We wont see 3.4 (at the earliest), Spring 2013.
Contributor
analytik
My Device: Q10

[ Edited ]

Whatever is the timing, I'm super happy for this. Even if they provide AIR 3.3 at release time or shortly after, they're not anywhere near giving up on AIR. And even 3.3 will be a good start - providing Stage3D support.

Adobe will release Builder 4.7 in the next few days, so that could be another reason that could push them towards AIR 3.4 (with Worker support maybe? edit: I know AIR3.4 doesn't include Workers on mobile, just on desktop, but one can dream, right?).

The timing might not be what you want, but give them some credit, *some* companies officially support exactly 1 way of building application, and RIM supports like 5. That takes some effort.