Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
dmalik
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

AIR Developer Experience Review

[ Edited ]

You may have already seen this blog post. Today (October 3rd) we have a team assembled here in Mississauga ready to start experiencing what it is to be an AIR developer for BlackBerry 10. We will be wearing the hats of a developer that uses Flash Builder, one that uses FDT, and one that has a game already built using Flash Professional and would like to port it over to BlackBerry 10. We’ll be installing the SDK and experiencing what it is like for everything from:

• Creating a vendor account
  • Getting signing keys
  • Downloading and installing the tools
  • Downloading and installing the SDK
  • Downloading and installing the simulator and what the experience is like using it to test applications

We’ll be logging bugs and annoyances we find along the way all in an effort to make the AIR development experience for BlackBerry 10 better.

If you would like to participate please help us by posting bugs in the Developer Issue Tracker, or an easier way to participate is to submit your experience right HERE. You can follow what’s going on here by following me on twitter or @BlackBerryDev, using hashtag #BBDev. 

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/
Please use plain text.
Developer
JohnPinkerton
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)
My Carrier: Regional

Re: AIR Developer Experience Review

Awesome idea! Looking forward to following along!
Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

Kudos for a brillian initiative!

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Great idea. It is always a different perspective in using the tools to build something real vs. just buiding tools to fit requirements.
Please use plain text.
Developer
billbsb
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

Nice idea guys! Im also looking forward to it. But I suppose you all are experienced on doing all this, no?!

When I was setting up my dev environment for AIR + BB10 on Windows 8 Consumer Preview 64bit, I had a small conflict with Java (JRE). I already had Java 1.7 but the Flex SDK only works with Java 1.6. I had to change a few paths on some config files but I didn't take note on what exactly happened.
If you ran into something similar, please add to the knowledge base.

Cheers!

Cheers!
Please use plain text.
dmalik

@Billsb - No, not everyone on the team we have assembled is experienced in AIR and some don't even have that much of a programming background.

Thanks for the information. I will be sure to make a note of installing the proper JRE version.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Kudos to RIM for doing this.  The very last place you want speedbumps and potholes in on the on-ramp.

Please use plain text.
dmalik

Here is the conclusion - http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/10/adobe-air-developer-experience/

Please use plain text.