Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

APK to BAR Conversion / In-App Purchasing

So, like many, I received the email from BB stating Adobe AIR will no longer be supported with the coming OS update. I call FOUL, but I digress.

I was looking into different conversion options. And in lieu using the in-app qnx extension stuff I was using, I assume I can ditch the in-app purchasing and just convert an apk to a bar file and avoid the extra hoo-haw. 30+ apps, I'd like to make this as painless as possible to update. No big deal. I see it can be done using the BB Graphical Aid tool, but as I haven't done this yet, I have a few questions/concerns...

1.) Normally when packaging a .bar file, you include the blackberry-tablet.xml, as well as the larger icons, and blackberry-tablet-icon. * How are these to be implemented during the conversion process? * Should the files just be included when packaging the .apk?

2.) As the .apk will now be captive runtime, does it matter which version of AIR is packaged in the .bar? If so, what's the min/max compatible version?

3.) Will the Playbook be affected by this at all? If not, can I include in-app purchases in the Playbook version and not in the BB10 version without any app acceptance issues?

I appreciate any information that can be provided. I'm sure most Adobe AIR developers are all scouring the internet for information... or about to ditch the OS altogether.

Thanks all!

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: APK to BAR Conversion / In-App Purchasing

The icons for AIR apps in Android are defined in the -app.xml file.

Any version of AIR that runs on Android is presumed to work on BlackBerry. The BlackBerry 10 OS just views these as Android apps and doesn't really know that they are running AIR at all.

The PlayBook is no longer getting any OS upgrades, so it will remain unchanged. In fact the Android support on the PlayBook won't even support these style of .apk apps at all

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Thanks for the response. I'm aware the Android icons are defined in the -app.xml file, but in using Flash CS6, it includes the 36x36, 48x48 and 72x72 .png files.What about the blackberry-tablet-icon.pngs that, from my understanding (and the way I've been publishing my .bar files) are 90x90(Playbook) and 150x150 (BB10). How are these to be implemented into the apk to bar conversion?

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

I am not 100% sure but I think that it is taking the 72px icon and scalling it up...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com