If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: About Playbook shipping

Every one gets a micro USB cord and north American wallcharger (to plug the cord into, presumably). So I'm sure you can just go pick one up for 10 bucks somewhere local, or just charge it through your computer.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
biggerCC
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: o2 (de)

My guess it that they will ship a standard BB USB adaptor, which also comes with three plugs (for the Americas, UK and continental Europe).

- - -
My approved apps @ App World
Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan

biggerCC, is this something they do with all their phones? If so then they might, but the terms state pretty clearly that only an NA charger will be provided. Either way, I don't see it as that big a deal considering:
A) you're getting the device for free, and shipping all the same device will expedite the process
&
B) you'll still be able to charge using the micro USB cord. You don't have a USB to wall adapter lieing around your house? I must have 4, and know they are very inexpensive to buy. It's no different than an ipod that comes with just a cord, and no one seems to have a problem with that.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
biggerCC

I fully agree. We have countless microUSB chargers around the house, in the car and at the workplace.

Why I came up with the adaptors: The WebWorks free BB Style terms stated the same, but included these three adapters. Has anyone ever bought a BlackBerry mobile without these international plugs?

I think this clause is simply to avoid lawsuits from people where the voltage output is not between 110 (US) and 220 (EU) like: we have 50V / 30Hz on our small island and you ruined our fuse :smileywink:

- - -
Please use plain text.
New Developer
mrspaceman
My Device: Playbook

just to add my 2 cents. I have two tablets now and both of them requrie more than the 5V that USB can supply, so I don't think a standard USB charger will work.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think us non-americans will need a converter.

Playbook apps:
UkMortgageCalc: Submitted Jan 7th : Approved Feb 5th
FillErUp: Submitted Jan 21th : Approved Feb 14th
UkIncomeTaxCalc: Submitted Jan 21st : Approved Feb 16th
Please use plain text.
Developer
biggerCC

You have two possibilities of charging the PlayBook:

1.) Via USB. There is no legal way of supplying more than 2000mA (called USB charging mode - while regular PCs can only supply 500mA) at 5 Volt (or it may not be called USB anymore). The accessory found online for this purpose is called "BlackBerry Premium Charger" and is - indeed - NA only.

2.) Via proprietary magnetic charger (similar to Apple's MagSafe) called "Rapid Travel Charger", which implies that this things works faster (= has more power).

BTW: My 7-inch Android tablet can be charged over microUSB with any of my chargers.

- - -
Please use plain text.
Developer
witmen
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: vzw

[ Edited ]

The retail version of the PlayBook is going to include the following:

Universal charger (it comes with a bunch of adapters for different countries)

Neoprene case

Screen wipe

Micro HDMI cable

USB cable

So where ever you are from you should have no problems charging it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan

Wait, it comes with a micro hdmi cable? That certainly adds a lot of value, however the terms and conditions state we just get the device, charger and wall adapter. Just curious where you read this?
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
witmen
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: vzw

I didn't read it, No sites have posted anything about it as far as I know. It came Straight from a RIM rep's mouth.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
FuzzDog
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Thanks for the info witmen. It's really great that the playbook comes with all of those things. Guess I don't need the micro hdmi and power plug adapters that I bought a couple of weeks ago. Oh well, I'm sure they'll come in handy one day.