Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
billfoust
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
Accepted Solution

Accessing Playbook Sim from other machine or VM?

I set up the Playbook dev environment in a VM (MS Virtual PC if it matters) and have run into problems trying to connect to the simulator, which is of course another VM.  I assume that there would be the same problems trying to run the simulator on a machine other than the dev machine, regardless of whether the dev machine is a VM or not.

anyway, I can't run the simulator inside of my dev VM. I didn't figure it would work, and in fact it doesn't(though the error is some odd file not found error). Instead I tried to run the sim on the real OS of the box.

The real machine has an IP in the subnet of 192.168.0.X, and the Dev VM also received an IP in the same subnet from the router. However the sim IP is a 192.168.153.X. I tried setting the subnet mask to just 255.255.0.0 on the Dev VM and that still didn't work. I also found no way to change the network settings of the simulator hoping to move it to the 0 subnet.

Has anyone gotten a configuration like this work? If so, any tips on what config changes should be made?

Bill

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Please use plain text.
Developer
willyyr
My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A

Re: Accessing Playbook Sim from other machine or VM?

Are these two VMs (the sim and dev env) running on the same host? I would first check your VMWare Network Configuration(Programms->VmWare Virtual Network Editor) and see whats the setup there. You could also setup an internal network dedicated for these two vm's. It looks like your dev env vm has a different network adapter attached to it then the PlayBook VM. So The first step for you is to make sure both vm's have the same network attached to it (bridged,nat or whatever suits you best)

Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

@willyyr hinted at this, but I think you actually need a bridged network for what you are trying to do.  The only way it would work with a NAT network is if your host machine were configured as a router, with particular preconfigured routes set up, and if the development VM were configured to use that as the default router instead of the router it's using now (or, even more complicated, if you set up the router to redirect the 192.168.153.x network back to the host machine and... well, don't go there).

Generally "bridged" networking should be completely usable for most people especially as, with this new simulator, the security risks with the old one (https/telnet/ftp exposed) are gone.

Note, however, that if you happen to want to use the new Secure Shell capability, you'll not be able to connect from your dev VM to the simulator, at least not directly.  If you need that, there's another thread where the workaround is noted.  Most likely you aren't interested in SSH and it's not an issue for you.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Developer
jglaros
My Device: Tour

I am currently running this setup with the development environment in a separate VM (Windows7 Enterprise) and the playbook simulator in another VM, both on the same machine.

To get this to work both of the VMs had to have their network setup in "Bridged" mode.

To setup your VM, assuming you are using VMware Player as I am, in the VMware Player menu bar, click the dropdown tab "Virtual Machine", select "Virtual Machine Settings...".

In the "Hardware" tab, select the  "Network Adapter" device.

Change the Network connection to Bridged and enable the "Replicate physical network connection state" option.

Click OK and restart your VM.

Once this has been done for both, view the IP of the simulator and note that it has changed. Use this IP to load your applications from the development VM.

- John

Please use plain text.
Contributor
turtlebits
My Device: Not Specified

FWIW,

I have the development environment running in VMware Workstation and the emulator running in VMWare Player, running perfectly.   Both networks are configured as NAT.

I was having issues with the emulator running in VMWare workstation not picking up an IP but it worked fine under Player.

Please use plain text.
Developer
billfoust
My Device: BlackBerry Torch

Thanks to everyone who posted. I think willy and peter were saying the same thing, but John's directions were super clear and precisely the answer I needed. Hello world is working now. Thanks again!

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Please use plain text.