Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
apman
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Adding a free trial to existing paid app

I'm trying to add a time-limited free trial version to my paid app on AppWorld - I think I spent all day reading all the posts on try & buy, but I still don't quite get it ... :-(

I have a signed .bar file that is a version higher than the released version, and that quits working a week after installation and of course provides a link to the appropriate AppWorld page to buy the full version. But I'm not quite sure where to submit it in the Vendor Portal - I don't want it to appear as a separate app (like some apps with full and 'lite' versions), but two buttons 'Try" and "Purchase" on the same product page.

I tried changing the License Type of my approved app from "paid" to "Buy & Try" and then clicked "Next" in the hope that it would then ask for the .bar file of the trial version - but it only takes me through the graphics and description info forms ... 

I also looked at 'Add release', but that seems to be only for updates.

I know a few of you have figured this out (Innovatology ... great app btw!), so hopefully someone can help me out on this!

Thanks a lot

Anna

My app : Get set - Get up!   Get ready for the snooze revolution.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

Re: Adding a free trial to existing paid app

I'm not sure how it works for existing apps - Files & Folders was try & buy from v1.00.

Normally, one release of a try & buy app is really two releases with slightly different version numbers, e.g. 4.1.1 (try) and 4.1.2 (buy). When you add a release for a try & buy app there is a checkbox to indicate whether it is a trial version or not.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

The version numbers have to be unique as Innovatology mentioned, but you can do this at the build level so the versions are the same (e.g. 4.2.1.50 and 4.2.1.51). You do have to build two BAR files. Just in the full version, you comment out the code that enforces the trial.
Please use plain text.
Developer
apman
My Device: Not Specified

Thank you both!  So I guess the checkbox will show up when I *save* the change to Try & Buy ...

(Remembering your warnings in another very helpful thread, I'm not going to do this in a rush, but save it for when I can I have time to double and tripple check everything - so I haven't tried yet, but think I'm all set to get it working)

Thanks again!

My app : Get set - Get up!   Get ready for the snooze revolution.

Please use plain text.