Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
S1ght
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810

Adobe Flex Form Solution for BlackBerry Smartphone?

Hi all, 

Apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum, but I'm at wits end with this problem and have googled my ears out to try find any sort of solution.

The basic just of it is that our client is using Adobe Flex Forms currently and would like to move this over to the mobile platforms. While there are ways to do this for Android and iPhone. BlackBerry Smartphones are giving me a headache here as their lack of support for Flash etc. The way I also understand it is there is no support for Air/Flex etc on the smartphones and it's only for the Playbook and BB10. 

Currently I looked everywhere for an alternate solution as the client is unwilling to move those forms over to HTML 5. Is there perhaps any solutions I have missed that could point me in the right direction to take those Adobe Forms and create a runnable BlackBerry solution? 

Kind Regards,

Michael

Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900

Re: Adobe Flex Form Solution for BlackBerry Smartphone?

The current BlackBerry smartphones (up to OS7) support development in Java or WebWorks (HTML5 + a wrapper). Thus using Adobe AIR is not possible.

However when BlackBerry 10 comes out later this year just like the PlayBook it will support development in Adobe AIR.

Since you indicated that your app makes use of forms it sounds like an HTML5 version wouldn't be too difficult to build and I'm sure there are many people in here that could help (myself included).

Alternatively you might also be able to build using PhoneGap (or Titanium*) to maintain a cross platform app.

* I'm not 100% sure about Titanium support for BlackBerry 6/7 but I'll check when I get to my office and update this post.

Do you have a link to the existing app or screenshots we could peek at? It might help us point you in the right direction for the best solution.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
New Contributor
S1ght
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

We did look into trying to convert the existing Flex and Actionscript to HTML5 and Javascript but doing this manually would be less than ideal. From there we tried to find some converters but was unable to find an acceptable application that is able to successfully convert from 1 to the other.

Unfortunately I don't have any screenshots I can link to as of yet as the forms for instance are sitting behind a login on the client's site.

The current app atm is built using Worklight which does use PhoneGap. So the BlackBerry app is a WebWorks app. Ultimately I think an HTML5 implementation would probably work the best in this situation but as it stands the client's requirements want to stick with Adobe.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

[ Edited ]

There are no convertors capable of doing this. The state-of-art convertors can only convert simple banners. Your options are to rebuild and reprogram the forms with Java or HTML5/JS, or to wait for BB10.

BTW: Phonegap was acquired by Adobe, so if your clients requirements are to stick with Adobe...

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands