Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

All I want from the new RIM CEO is...

A change in leadership can be a very rocky experience, especially those that are close to RIM.  As developers, we are in the middle ground between RIM employee and consumer.  Since we, indirectly, have a new CEO, what are some concrete things we would like him to support?

I'll get it started:

1) Notification API

2) App World to be product focus so that a new release is its own package that includes description updates, release notes, indirect consumer contact, editable reviews, release rollbacks, full-proof trials, better app security and licensing, all tied to an installation package.

3) Standard ANE's for magnometer, extended geolocation

4) File type app preferences to allow user to specify what app can be launched by a file.

5) It has been getting better, but more information on schedule and product features.

6) Consumer marketing efforts

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: All I want from the new RIM CEO is...

Ship 2.0 on time and stable. Then very soon after, ship 2.1 to fix the most glaring gaps in it...

Also, "empower" some employee, as he says he would like to do, to communicate some direction to us so we'll have at least a general idea when to expect the things on John's list, and other such future features, since we won't get them all soon.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

-A clear contact point where developers can submit urgent issues (such as the reporting system being down for 3 weeks).

-Respect for deadlines (2.0 was for the end of summer '11 right?)

-More attention for what the consumers and, perhaps even more important, the developers want and need. 

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: 16GB Playbook, 64GB Playbook, Bold 9000 and 9900 Bold
My Carrier: Orange (UK)

1. A comprehensive dynamic GLOBAL marketing campaign.  Too often we (In the UK) hear Blackberry Playbook did not meet expectations or failed to inspire  (BBC News 01/23/12).

2. The ability for real-time online support for developers both professional and amateur (myself in the latter group)

3. Further collaboration with the folks at Adobe, lets get a WYSYG inteface for BB screens incorporated into FB

4. Take the fight to Apple, RIM products are robust, reliable and fit for purpose my BB 9000 is still going strong INCLUDING the track-ball.

Bob

https://twitter.com/bb_zealot
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

I agree with most of the above and will add:

- Background services

- BlueTooth API's

- USB API's

- API access to contacts, mail, calendar, bridge

- API's to launch & communicate with specific apps

- mountable filesystems, USB drivers

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

For the Bluetooth and USB, since those are not supported in AIR, I would suggest to RIM that they just provided RIM supported ANE's for these items. They are probably in the best position to figure out the event model for these and other services.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

I'd be happy with a native API and just build my own ANE's.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

I completely agree with all of the above, I'm happy with the dev tools in general, but I'd really appreciate a moe coherent approach to release schedules and communication on new products (thinking about OS2 and BB10)

Julien
Web: smugrik.org Follow: @Smugrik
PlayBook apps:
OSCream
kiPass