01-23-2012 09:24 AM
A change in leadership can be a very rocky experience, especially those that are close to RIM. As developers, we are in the middle ground between RIM employee and consumer. Since we, indirectly, have a new CEO, what are some concrete things we would like him to support?
I'll get it started:
1) Notification API
2) App World to be product focus so that a new release is its own package that includes description updates, release notes, indirect consumer contact, editable reviews, release rollbacks, full-proof trials, better app security and licensing, all tied to an installation package.
3) Standard ANE's for magnometer, extended geolocation
4) File type app preferences to allow user to specify what app can be launched by a file.
5) It has been getting better, but more information on schedule and product features.
6) Consumer marketing efforts
01-23-2012 09:41 AM
01-23-2012 10:04 AM
-A clear contact point where developers can submit urgent issues (such as the reporting system being down for 3 weeks).
-Respect for deadlines (2.0 was for the end of summer '11 right?)
-More attention for what the consumers and, perhaps even more important, the developers want and need.
01-23-2012 11:43 AM
1. A comprehensive dynamic GLOBAL marketing campaign. Too often we (In the UK) hear Blackberry Playbook did not meet expectations or failed to inspire (BBC News 01/23/12).
2. The ability for real-time online support for developers both professional and amateur (myself in the latter group)
3. Further collaboration with the folks at Adobe, lets get a WYSYG inteface for BB screens incorporated into FB
4. Take the fight to Apple, RIM products are robust, reliable and fit for purpose my BB 9000 is still going strong INCLUDING the track-ball.
01-23-2012 12:41 PM
I agree with most of the above and will add:
- Background services
- BlueTooth API's
- USB API's
- API access to contacts, mail, calendar, bridge
- API's to launch & communicate with specific apps
- mountable filesystems, USB drivers
01-23-2012 01:28 PM
01-23-2012 04:05 PM