Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
noahnu
My Device: Blackberry Tablet OS
Accepted Solution

Alternative Free IDEs for Playbook Development?

Hello,

does anyone know any good alternative IDEs for Blackberry Playbook development?

I guess the requirements I am looking for would be the following:

+Full ActionScript 3 support

+Easily Run to Device (via IP Address)

+Blackberry Playbook SDK support?

Eclipse won't work as it lacks proper support for ActionScript - unless someone knows some good plugin - and Netbeans, well, does anyone know any good plugins as I kept on downloading AS2 plugins?

When my trial for Flash Builder Burrito is up I really don't want to pay the six hundred - correct me if I'm wrong - dollars.

From,
Noah NU
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: Alternative Free IDEs for Playbook Development?

[ Edited ]

See this post from studiochris ...

FlashDevelop and BlackBerry PlayBook Development: The Basics

for discussion of the free & open source FlashDevelop package.

I installed it a while back and it looks real interesting and appears to be well supported.

I will likely revisit it when my free trial of Flash Builder is up.

Additionally, it was mentioned on the webcasts that RIM was considering cost mitigation on Adobe tooling for PlayBook developers, but there were no details given at the time.  I think it makes total sense for them to do this and there are multiple ways they could help out.

For me it is not a question of can I scratch out a check for this or that piece of hardware or software or book - the question is where does it all end.  There is just an explosion of devices and platforms, and unless you already have a viable monetization strategy, this has the potential to be nothing more than an expensive hobby, and I already have expensive hobbies.

IMO the economic reality is that the underdog platforms are going to have to continue to seed the developer community in order to get their app stores built out.

RIM could probably do this in a way that is fair to all parties by for example:

1) Working with Adobe to extend trial licenses for active developers who have submitted X number of apps in the last Y months.

2) Donating the first however many hundred bucks of RIM's 30% cut from a developer's sales towards a license purchase.

3) Just flat out donate a license to any developer posting a showcase app and/or a highly popular app, whether free or paid.  Apps that show off the platform and make users want it are likely well worth the wholesale cost of a license.  High download numbers for an app, free or paid, are votes from users saying they want more apps from that dev.

and I'm sure some creative thinking could yield more options that are fair to all parties.

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

Oh and on the cost - Flash Builder 4 is $250 for the standard edition and $700 for the premium edition.  You get a profiler, network monitor, and testing framework with the premium edition.

Please use plain text.
Developer
noahnu
My Device: Blackberry Tablet OS

This FlashDevelop looks interesting. The best part of all is that its FREE! and open-source.

From,
Noah NU
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

BTW if you earn money in App World off of something built with FlashDevelop, it's good karma for you to kick some coin to their team.  IMO.  It's basic human nature to overvalue our own contributions and undervalue the contributions of others, but if we're aware of that we can do something about it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Honestly, I think you are best off just compiling and loading in the simulator with the command line tools. You only need one line for compile, one line to load the application, and one line to remove the application (optional).

So there is really no need for a full IDE at all

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I was using Flex before they had an IDE, and it was painful.  Having the IDE boosted productivity and code quality.  If you are serious about developing Flex/AIR/PB apps, then spending the money on a good IDE is well worth it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

[ Edited ]

I totally agree on IDE's being a huge productivity boost.  Once you're used to code assist, automatic syntax highlighting and on the fly compilation & error highlighting, going back to a plain editor feels sluggish.

Only issue for probably a lot of indy dev's is the price tag on Adobe authoring tools making it a likely negative ROI endeavor for at least a while.  It's not like you can make a lot of money on little jelly bean point solution apps; users are more demanding than that.  

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

[ Edited ]

It's a numbers game.  Let say, they sell 500,000 PB.  Depending on your app, you capture a 10% market for your kind of app.  Let's say, you're selling it for $1.00 and you get 70% of that from BB.  That is:

500,000 x 0.10 x $1.00 x 0.70 = $35,000.

Like I said.  If you serious, I think most people can justify the $300-$800 investment on an IDE to even improve that ROI with multiple apps or better apps to improve market share.

If all you are doing is free apps, then you might want to do 1-2 paid apps to cover the cost of the free apps.

Please use plain text.
Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

btw, I am not sure if you are aware that Adobe provides Free standard version of Flash Builder to 

• Students, faculty and staff of eligible educational institutions
  • Software developers who are affected by the current economic condition and are currently unemployed
  • Event attendees who receive a special promotional code at their event
  •  

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-archive/flex/free/

I think the same license key also works for Flash Burrito...so please use this ..but don't abuse ;-)

Please use plain text.