Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Wingflap
My Device: Blackberry Q10

Re: Am I allowed to sell my free BlackBerry Style?

I'm on Sprint and could swap back and forth on my plan with my Bold and a Style.  Never hurts to have a backup.  PM me.

Developer
biggerCC
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 Dev Alpha

I didn't receive it yet, but was awarded one of these handsets, too.

It won't help me in Germany (since we don't have any CDMA network here at all), but I'll do an 6-month US internship beginning in October, so I intend to use it there.

BUT: here's a question to all US mobile geeks out there. Since Sprint does not offer any prepaid (or less than 24 month) contracts at all, it's not really an option for me.

Given I get this thing unlocked, could I possibly get it activated on Virgin Mobile's or Boost Mobile's network? Both offer an affordable Blackberry option, but I have no clue about the US carriers - escpecially the CDMA ones...

- - -
My approved apps @ App World
New Contributor
scootero1211
My Device: Not Specified

Define trade? I found a friend, can I say "Good sir, I shall trade thee me telephone for thy beautiful currency."?

Developer
thesmileman
My Device: Playbook

That sounds like a trade to me. If it has to be actual good you could require it to be old money with a higher value. Like dollars from way back in 2010. :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
Developer
ajerman
My Device: Playbook Simulator

[ Edited ]

I don't think RIM would be too keen on people selling their products that they gave as gifts, but I do think ti would be a great idea if you couldn't use yours to donate it to another developer on the board. I for one have never owned a Blackberry device and don't have a dev phone. I came to BB for tablet dev, but I may like to port my app to the phone as well.

Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style

ajerman wrote:

I don't think RIM would be too keen on people selling their products that they gave as gifts, but I do think ti would be a great idea if you couldn't use yours to donate it to another developer on the board. I for one have never owned a Blackberry device and don't have a dev phone. I came to BB for tablet dev, but I may like to port my app to the phone as well.

Ha ha ha :smileyhappy:  Sorry couldnt stop laughing :smileyhappy:

Didn't read that one in the offer ;-)

Developer
ajerman

tags07 wrote:

ajerman wrote:

Ha ha ha :smileyhappy:  Sorry couldnt stop laughing :smileyhappy:

Didn't read that one in the offer ;-)

Hmm... I may have worded that poorly. I meant that as an example, not saying someone should give me theirs. I don't have and don't want Sprint either, so it would be no use for me, but I imagine there are several new developers here for the Playbook that weren't previously BB developers. I imagine RIM would be very happy for developers that can't use their device to donate to another developer who can. That keeps developers working on their phones and making apps.

Developer
tags07

Well I don't completely agree with you, ajerman.

Consider this:

RIM has an offer to attract new developers to submit apps for the following reasons:

a. RIM wants more apps in their App World to beat the competition.

b. RIM wants its platform to be rock solid and want more testers to test the platform.

c. RIM is generous enough to gift early birds with some of their evaluation devices.

Developer A who usually works on a competitive product, finds the offer attractive as all developers are gadget nerds ;-)

Developer A works hard burning midnight oil to develop an app, beat the rush and submit an app.

Developer A is lucky to submit his app in time and is awarded the prize in the offer.

RIM is happy to have a new Developer cross over from the competition to work on their platform. They are also happy to have another functionality tested by Developer A. They are also happy to see the App World grow.

Developer A is happy to lick his gift, take some close-up shots with his prized possession ..perhaps post it on his blog, twitter, facebook envying his friends may be get a date even ;-)

a day later when the high feelings ware down and Developer A thinks practically... he sees a problem.. the country he lives in does not have the carrier called "Sprint" that his device is locked on to. So he can't use his prized device.  Developer A is sad :smileysad:

One option for him is to sell the device on Ebay and use the proceeds to purchase a BlackBerry device on his carrier in the country. The new device costs a bit more than what he will get on Ebay..but he is happy to get a BlackBerry device of his choice on his carrier.  RIM is still happy that they have Developer A satisfied.

The other option is Developer A gifts it to his aunt or someone in the forum. But he is sad still :smileysad:   he has no Blackberry phone to test his future apps. He had to give it away for free to this aunt. Developer A is not too motivated to develop for Blackberry and decides to continue more development on the competitive product. RIM is not happy to have lost a potential new developer.

Between the two choices which one would you take and which do you think will make RIM more happier?

Developer
ajerman

tags07 wrote:

Well I don't completely agree with you, ajerman.

Consider this:

RIM has an offer to attract new developers to submit apps for the following reasons:

a. RIM wants more apps in their App World to beat the competition.

b. RIM wants its platform to be rock solid and want more testers to test the platform.

c. RIM is generous enough to gift early birds with some of their evaluation devices.

Developer A who usually works on a competitive product, finds the offer attractive as all developers are gadget nerds ;-)

Developer A works hard burning midnight oil to develop an app, beat the rush and submit an app.

Developer A is lucky to submit his app in time and is awarded the prize in the offer.

RIM is happy to have a new Developer cross over from the competition to work on their platform. They are also happy to have another functionality tested by Developer A. They are also happy to see the App World grow.

Developer A is happy to lick his gift, take some close-up shots with his prized possession ..perhaps post it on his blog, twitter, facebook envying his friends may be get a date even ;-)

a day later when the high feelings ware down and Developer A thinks practically... he sees a problem.. the country he lives in does not have the carrier called "Sprint" that his device is locked on to. So he can't use his prized device.  Developer A is sad :smileysad:

One option for him is to sell the device on Ebay and use the proceeds to purchase a BlackBerry device on his carrier in the country. The new device costs a bit more than what he will get on Ebay..but he is happy to get a BlackBerry device of his choice on his carrier.  RIM is still happy that they have Developer A satisfied.

The other option is Developer A gifts it to his aunt or someone in the forum. But he is sad still :smileysad:   he has no Blackberry phone to test his future apps. He had to give it away for free to this aunt. Developer A is not too motivated to develop for Blackberry and decides to continue more development on the competitive product. RIM is not happy to have lost a potential new developer.

Between the two choices which one would you take and which do you think will make RIM more happier?

If it said not for resale on the back like someone mentioned earlier, I'd go with not reselling it.

Developer
tags07

Well I was mostly talking about the "happiness" point you mentioned in the previous post. As far as the "Not for sale" sticker. I agree you should check with RIM to decide.. only they can answer that qn.

One possibility why there is a sticker is that perhaps distribution center have a huge inventory of evaluation devices that they ship to people who sign a contract with RIM for testing their products. For these it makes sense for the end users to abide by their contract. RIM puts a sticker on them as a warning perhaps.  Now its possible they reuse that stock for these gift devices as well.. and they may not be preparing a special package just for the offer. 

Also as i stated earlier i remember seeing in the terms and conditions that if you cannot use the locked device on Sprint, you could always gift it to your friends or relatives. 

Either way its not you are me to decide..if you have a qn regarding the terms or the sticker send RIM an email and get their official response..but you are in no obligation to donate it to anyone.. its your device that you won by meeting a qualification criteria. I think I'll stop here.. 

Sorry I did not intend to offend you in anyway ajerman(if i did in any way)... I just wanted to express my point.