Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Android on Playbook

For the most part, it will be easy to port an AS app to/from Android (especially if the screen sizes are the same).  But BB will continue to provide unique APIs that will make the PB version more capable than the Android app.  For example, PPS, Notification, Push Technology, eCommerce API (store,ads).  So if your app can take advantage of these services, it might be a more attractive application and make it more diffilcult to port.

Please use plain text.
Developer
tags07
My Carrier: Sprint

However happy or unhappy we are bringing in Android ecosystem to BB, its not going to be an easy task. Firstly, BB & Google would need to enter into some kind of revenue sharing model for Google to allow their Market available on BB. Now we all know how that's going to work.

Secondly, BB may just enable adhoc installation of *.apk on their device. Now I don't know what kind of agreement users publishing Android apps need to sign, I am sure Google may have some clause that would prevent them from selling apps outside their market. I could be wrong on this ..

Lastly, BB could build a platform where Android apps could be easily ported over. Now that is a good thing but not sure if BB has the time and resources to do that considering that they are still working hard at streamlining their core platform.

So in short, its not going to happen in the near future.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

I would not think a revenue share relationship would be needed.  I would think that if you have an Android tablet app that you would be able to post it to BB App World just like the rest of us.  I would think that BB/PB would still want to govern the sales, statistics, and installs on the device and not have to deal with other app stores.

PB will allows Java based applications to be installed and developed.  Why not start with the 150K Java based applications already developed for Android tablets ("develop once, run everywhere").  It is an instant market and widens the market for those developers.

BB has a lot of Java people to make this happen (much more than AS3 developers).

From a pure business and marketing perspective, it would be a boom for the company to promote this feature by summer.  Keep in mind, that iPad2 is scheduled to be released shortly.

I understand the feeling of not wanting 150K competitive apps that probably are more mature.  Some may feel that "I was here first, I worked hard to get the PB to work.  All of you Android developers, you have your pond, we have ours".  But competition is good.  It keeps you on your toes.  Forces you to innovate.  Makes you a better developer.  And if the PB dies because it could not sustain a market share, then all of this time will be wasted and then you will have no choice but to port over to Android tablets.

Please use plain text.
Developer
tags07
My Carrier: Sprint

I also find it hard to believe that dalvik is the only change required to make this happen... am sure Android apps have lot of dependency on the framework, various other components.. its just hard to believe that you can take an app from Android market and put it on PB with just the Dalvik ported to work out of the box..

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Carrier: none

@tags07, you definitely could not.

You'd need some sort of translation layer, ala Wine for Linux, where calls made to certain libraries would be intercepted to go to QNX-specific ones instead.

Or replacement libraries that would simply do the appropriate thing for the new platform.

Also, I thought Dalvik used a modified bytecode of some kind, so apps compiled for it would not have the same bytecode as regular Java.  That is, an .apk file is not merely a different way of packaging the way our .bar files are just a wrapper for standard .swf files.  If that's true, recompilation would be needed for sure if they did not decide to bring in Dalvik support.  (Unless they wrote their own Dalvik VM, which would probably be real, real silly.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
GoldenJoe

I'm strongly against supporting Android apps on the PlayBook. 

Pros:

- artificially skyrocket the number of applications on the PlayBook

Cons:

- nearly all Android apps are garbage. GARBAGE.

- piss off everyone who used their time and effort to support the PlayBook directly

- put your own developers at a disadvantage since Google has no quality control for their apps

- kill off nearly all native PlayBook development before it starts

Just fix the development environment and maintain a nice quality-controlled app market. It will make your developers and customers happy. Instead of this ridiculous numbers game Apple and Google are playing, RIM should be touting the higher quality and better success of the average app (and if that's not the case, make it the case).

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jaxbot

I highly doubt (make that nearly impossible) that this would allow any random Android app onto the Playbook. What I believe they're talking about in the video is an easier method of porting Android apps over to the Playbook, but since third-party sideloading is restricted to developers on the Playbook (at least, initially), these applications would certainly have to be routed through the App World, as many pointed out. So I wouldn't worry about applications facing competition from over 150,000 applications designed for a smaller form factor, but rather, this is an opportunity for RIM to bring existing developers over to their platform. /2cents

Please use plain text.
New Developer
richardschillin

Apparently, it's going to officially happen now:

http://press.rim.com/release.jsp?id=4935

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Carrier: none

There's also a new thread now, with active discussion on it.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Carrier: Rogers

So apparently, the current implementation of the android player literally boots android, and the you run the apps in it. So it is a full on VM, although this will probably change by the time it gets launched.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.