Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

Any way to migrate user data from AIR to Android/AIR?

Has anyone yet found any possible way to move existing user data from over from an AIR app to an Android-AIR app? All of my attempts so far have been unsuccessful... 

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer
KermEd
My Device: NA

Re: Any way to migrate user data from AIR to Android/AIR?

Considering this is important to many, I'm bumping the thread in the hope that someone at BlackBerry championing this change through invests some effort to answer it

Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

As I mentioned over here in this thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/Access-SharedObject-data-in-converted-a...

BB dev support claimed during online AIR office hours that this data migration was possible, i.e. that persisted user data inside the AIR app sandbox could be read/modified by a new, Android AIR version of the app.

It would be good to see one of: 1) demo code demonstrating this assertion, or 2) an admission that that statement was not in fact true.  Either one of these outcomes would help prevent individual AIR devs in their own silos trying (perhaps in complete futility) to independently find the correct incantation to make this migration happen.

Developer
Ebscer

Despite what BlackBerry has claimed from time to time, I am fairly sure that this is impossible...

Retired
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

I have yet to see a working solution to this. In theory this is possible, however so far anectdotal evidence has shown that the differences between the application sandbox when switching from AIR to Android interferes with the ability to read this type of data.  That being said, I remain optimistic that there is in fact a working solution.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

Adam,

Is this a result of how BlackBerry has implemented sandboxing for the Android runtime on BB10 (i.e. something you probably have control over), or is it a result of something that is happening upstream, perhaps in the captive AIR runtime?

Developer
UberschallSamsara

Although it's nice to see replies from BlackBerry in these threads, Adam's response doesn't add any new information, and leaves obvious questions unanswered:

1) What's the basis in facts for the optimism that there's a working solution?

2) Considering that BlackBerry initiated the forced end-of-life for in-market AIR apps, does it make sense for them to be the ones working on the solution?

Developer
Ebscer

With no solution after three months, I really do not expect that a solution will be forthcoming...

Developer
KermEd
My Device: NA

No, and Tim Neil was let go as well as some other folks...  Not sure anyone is left to help

Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane

that's sad to hear...still, back to topic, why not telling the people (in an update though) "this software will soon stop working. if you want to keep your data, please press here" --> store the data online somewhere, and in the new Android-version "if you had data before, press here to restore your data"
of course, it's additional effort, need some kind of credential, not scalable yadayada, but still it's better than nothing
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o