Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Anyone NOT have their App approved?

Based on the information Mark kindly gave us, and the fact that numerous more recently submitted apps are now getting approved rather quickly, it seems certain that the Test House has at least some issue with my app.

It's relatively simple, small and robust.  Works fine in the 0.9.2 simulator and in 0.9.3 other than sound.  I didn't bother trying in AIR since it relies on various qnx.* things.  Testing the entire functionality would take less than five minutes.

I'm not so confident as you are that if the app gets kicked back, I'll be able to turn things around shortly.  For one thing, if it was merely a simple problem, you'd think in 18 days they'd have found time to send back an email with a basic report even just noting that there's an issue.  For another, if they keep waiting, it might be very close to the deadline, and we've still never had a firm answer on whether resubmissions will be allowed (and for how long) to resolve problems after that date.  (Nor do I expect them to ever address that question.)

You're probably right that I'm fine, but I can only act based on the best information I have at any given time.  Right now, that's Mark's latest info, which strongly implies that someone with an 18-day wait is facing a situation where something is not right.  In the absence of any detail as to what that might be, I have little choice but to try narrowing down the possible set of problem areas, in anticipation of their problem report.  

Recall also that their problem reports tend to be one-liners, things like "doesn't work".  That will obviously not be helpful to me, so I'm trying by asking these questions to get a headstart on resolving the problem.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

@peter9477:

If you check vendor portal, do you see any downloads of your app?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I had 2 apps that failed, and after a month or so of waiting, I emailed them and then I got the response of what needed to be changed or what was broken.  So, I guess if you have not heard anything in a few days, I would email them.

RIM has been very reasonable during this whole process and been very active in listening to various things.  I really believe that if an app gets in on time and any fixes are being processed in a resonable time frame, the developer should still be qualified for the free PB. Heck, I would give you a free PB for just being so helpful in this forum.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

soaman wrote:

@peter9477:

If you check vendor portal, do you see any downloads of your app?

None, but in the IRC chat (#playbook-dev) we compared notes and concluded that nobody can/will see downloads until they have been approved and posted their app for download in App World.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

jtegen wrote:

I had 2 apps that failed, and after a month or so of waiting, I emailed them and then I got the response of what needed to be changed or what was broken.  So, I guess if you have not heard anything in a few days, I would email them.

It actually didn't occur to me to email anyone.  I assumed that they had shielded the Test House from any direct interaction, and that the address from which the "Submission Receipt" came was just an automated system.  I'd be happy to email them... can you tell me where to find which address would be most effective for that?

And thanks for the attempts at reassurance John! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

I'm not at the computer that has those emails (assuming I still have it).  I will check for it in a few hours and let you know what I have found.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

Just to echo some of Peter's concerns regarding his delayed approval/lack of feedback: If the playbook doesn't launch with a couple thousand apps, I will be a little perplexed at the lack of communication some developers are receiving in terms of "waiting on test house". I'm not trying to undermine RIM, the Test House, or anyone involved with bringing the tablet to market, but we are all under the impression that they are too swamped to give decent feedback, and only have time to jot down quick messages of "doesn't work". I would hope it's because the flood of apps is in the hundreds of submissions per day. With only 300-400 (estimated) apps approved that really only works out to less than 7 apps approved per day (in 2011), and I would hope that they have more that just one or two people working on this.

*Note: I have zero idea what exactly the requirements are that they have to test for, but would assume average apps with minimal complexity could be tested within 4 hours. I say this because an update I put through with double the content and features of my original submission was approved in 20 minutes, so have under 7 approvals a day just seems too low.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

Agreed. Actually a LOT of the apps I've seen so far are relatively simple and I don't think they need more than just an hour or so to test every aspect of them.

The small amount of apps approved per day is strange. Some communication on why exactly that is would surely be lovely.

(entering week 3 of waiting for test house tomorrow)

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

I thought the vendor portal for each app would have a place for the tickets to maintain information between the developer and RIM/testing.  Seems like a logical place for that and then just send email to those that need to know that a ticket has been updated.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Wingflap
My Device: Bold 9650 and Playbook 16gb

@Peter,

You asked:

"Has anyone had an app approved that use the htmlText property of either Label or TextField, with embedded http: links, or which used the similar href="event:..." functionality along with an event handler to launch the browser using a navigateToURL() call?   (Yeah, that's a mouthful.)"

My app retrieves data via XML which is based on user input.  The request for the data is based on an HTML post to an external website that hosts the data.  Some of this data retrieved contians links (href=http://www.....).  The data received is displayed in a label via it's .htmlText property.  I don't use any event handler to launch the browser.  Simply clicking the link (in the simulator) opens the browser to the appropriate page.  I also have a link to a support forum (again displayed by an html link) on two of the pages for my app.

While I've been eagerly awaiting for approval of my app, I've been diving into the Webworks SDK.  One thing that jumped out at me while reading the developement documents is the 'Whitelisting' functionality in the config file for Webworks apps.

On the status page for my app in AppWorld, I just noticed that my app has been approved, but the status is 'Pending Content Review'.  I wonder if on the actual Playbook, there is similar 'Whitelist' functionality.  This confuses me since the data I retrieve is not 3rd party content.  It is simply content that I manage on a free host and deliver to the app.

Is it possible that the calls are somehow not being allowed because of no documented 'Whitelisting' requirements for the blackberry-tablet.xml for the Air SDK?  I'm doubtful because of RSS apps that I see already available for download in App World.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approved Apps: Barry Black

Loving my new Playbook!
Please use plain text.