Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
derekobrien
My Device: Storm 9500
My Carrier: Vodaphone

Re: Anyone have their App approved?

Submitted an app on 27th Dec and got received email, fingers crossed for approval.

Finishing second app today hopefully and submitting later if ready.

Guessing I won't here much now until new year.

BTW: Good luck all that have submitted apps and not got a response yet and congrats to those who have been successful  ;-)

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

TheDarkIn1978 wrote:

i could have swore a while ago i read that eligible applications needed to be paid applications to qualify for the free PlayBook offer, but i can't find it in the terms and conditions.  perhaps they were changed?

I'm fairly sure you misremember what you read, as I've never seen anything about that.  I also don't see it in the Terms and Conditions but I don't think they've been changed either.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
willyyr
My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A
My Carrier: Vodafone DE

TheDarkIn1978 wrote:

i could have swore a while ago i read that eligible applications needed to be paid applications to qualify for the free PlayBook offer, but i can't find it in the terms and conditions.  perhaps they were changed?

I hope it doesn't need to be a paid app. I would think that also a lot of free apps are needed to really compete with AppStore etc.

Therefore these should also be eligible for a free PB. I thought well why don't make my small game free and make another, bigger one which uses a lot of special feature of the PB with the free developer PB. 

Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Developer
kmitchell
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780, PlayBook 16GB, PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Bell

Hi everyone!
Just submitted my app this morning, a try and buy!  Got my email saying they received it. Now I wait, cross fingers/toes and take a little break.  :smileyhappy:
Good luck to everyone else submitting an app and all the best in the new year!
Keith
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Keith (or others who know), how do you do a "try and buy"? (I assume that means free download and install, but with an expiry timeout so the user must pay to continue using.)

I thought that model would be supported only with the Payment SDK (to allow the in-app purchase that I assume is needed) but I thought that wasn't released yet.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

@peter9477:  It payment SDK has not been released.  He is talking about the vendor portal where it has an option to select the distribution method.  That might change when the payment SDK becomes available.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Thanks, John.  I understand he's talking about the vendor portal, but what I don't understand is how that supports the "try and buy" model. 

I'm interested in learning what technical features are there that would allow you to let someone install and try an app for free, yet make them pay for it later (assuming that's what he's talking about).  I didn't think there was a mechanism in App World that could disable an app for a particular user after a trial period, nor that would let you collect money after the initial download. 

Perhaps I misunderstood what "try and buy" meant here.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

I believe all this will be clearer when the purchase SDK becomes available (along with signing, new SDK, new simulator, advertising SDK).

In general, a "try and buy" is as you describe.  They (BB) also mentioned that the purchase SDK will support features, so in a "try and buy" scenario, you could allow them to continue to use the app and only certain features are available if they purchase them (eg. game levels).

This is just one more thing we have to wait for and then scramble to make the changes in time for the public release of the PB.  Kiss your family and friends goodbye when all of these SDK's are dumped on us at the last moment.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

hey peter,

from the sound of it they have a timer of sorts in their app. so when the user first loads the app on their device you can store the date installed in a database or a file somewhere. after that your program would check how long it has been since the app was installed and do a calculation every time it is opened. once the difference in time has been, say, 30 days the app could cripple its features or even stop loading up until the user inputs a key to unlock it. at least thats my understanding.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

So if I've got this right, when Keith selected "try and buy" (or whatever the exact text was) it means his app may be marked as such, but in effect it's a free download, with no additional technical support yet implemented to let him collect money from the user. 

And perhaps he's implemented an in-app timed expiry "feature" and is gambling he'll have time to implement a real Payment SDK-based way of actually collecting money and re-enabling the app, and updating what he's submitted to App World, before launch date when anyone will actually try downloading his app.  (Since otherwise his first users would have unlimited free use of the app.)

Or something like that?  I was just trying to confirm whether selecting "Try and Buy" when submitting the app actually meant anything, yet.  I have several apps which I'd like to offer with that payment model, but thought I'd need to wait before submitting them as I had no means to implement it yet.

Please use plain text.