Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Anyone have their App approved?

tstark wrote:

Is there any way to filter apps by device on the BB App World website?

Unfortunately it appears not.  There's a KnowledgeBase article that suggests the "workaround" is:

"instead of using a browser on a computer, open BlackBerry AppWorld on the BlackBerry smartphone. Only applications that are supported on the model of BlackBerry smartphone that is being used will be displayed."

So, uh, just get out your PlayBook and, um...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

peter9477 wrote:

Unfortunately it appears not.  There's a KnowledgeBase article that suggests the "workaround" is:

"instead of using a browser on a computer, open BlackBerry AppWorld on the BlackBerry smartphone. Only applications that are supported on the model of BlackBerry smartphone that is being used will be displayed."

So, uh, just get out your PlayBook and, um...

Hmmmm...sounds like trying to guess the right query string...or "convincing" a BB 9700 to be a PlayBook...

Developer
My Device: Playbook

@RottenOgre - I saw that post right as I was leaving work and didn't have a chance to post it here.

I am fearing the "reasonable demand" line...  My application is, in my opinion, a great tool but I fear that since it is geared towards software and microcontroller developers with a subtle secondary market for sys admins ( though I am not selling it as such in my documentation ) that it might get looked over as not having a broad enough demand.  This is killing me. Smiley Happy

Thankfully, I am working on a few more applications that I am hoping to get the kick in the boot to finish and submit as quickly as possible so I can double and triple my chances.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer

kdittyr wrote:

I am fearing the "reasonable demand" line...  My application is, in my opinion, a great tool but I fear that since it is geared towards software and microcontroller developers ... that it might get looked over as not having a broad enough demand. 

Not that my opinion counts for anything, but if it will reassure you I'm pretty sure that those words are (a) one of their "outs" for when they think an app is just plain ugly/bad/otherwise unacceptle but hard to reject under the other clauses, but (b) intended to be interpreted in the context of the potential market for the particular app. 

That is, if your tool looks like it would be effective, then even if only hundreds of embedded developers download it, they might represent a large percentage of the embedded developers who buy PlayBooks, and that's pretty reasonable by any reasonable definition. Smiley Happy  After all, if your app is great, it may well attract such developers to buy PlayBooks, and I'm sure RIM won't argue with that logic.

By the way, it sounds like I'd certainly be in your target market!

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Playbook

peter9477 wrote:

By the way, it sounds like I'd certainly be in your target market!

That depends on if you are reasonably demanding Smiley Happy

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
New Contributor

Sure, no problem.
I submitted it on Dec 7th and I got the "Product Approval" email on Dec 23rd.

I can't remember where, but they said at one point that "normal" apps go through a 10 day approval process and that PlayBook apps submitted during these first months would take a little bit longer.

Hope that helps. Smiley Happy
-Jason

On Jan 4, 2011, at 6:20 PM

> Hello Jason,
>
> I am a new developer and also submitted some applications to BlackBerry App World.
>
> I noticed your application on App World and Playbookdaily.com. Congrats!
>
> Would you mind telling me when you submitted your app and when you received confirmation of app acceptance into App World.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

I guess I better finish up and polish my app by Jan 7th and submit it ASAP to hear back from them by the 24th. Man Happy

Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

Congratz Jason! And thanks for the info.

Looks like my second app might not be able to make it in time (assuming that it has to be accepted by Feb 1 and not just submitted, I don't think we've ever got the official word on that).

Fingers crossed that I'll get an email soon and won't have to stress out anymore about finishing my second app quickly Smiley Happy

New Developer

Congratulations Jason and thank you for sharing the info on the forum, very helpful!

@RottenOgre I think they said during the webinar that February 1st  is the deadline for the submission, not the approval. That makes sense to me, because time needed for review is variable and unknown: two elements that make, at this point, the "real deadline" (if not Feb 1) floating in time and creating a confusing scenario. And, in my point of view, a "deadline", by definition, must be fixed and not variable in time.

Developer

@RottenOgre, I agree with tstark, and although it may not have been official, I believe at least two times (once I think in the recent twitter postings) I've heard them say words to the effect that "get your app submitted by Feb 1" to be eligible.

That's not a reason to dawdle, but I wouldn't submit garbage on Jan 7 (or whenever) in the hopes of getting approval before Jan 31... you'd more likely make it less likely to get acceptance at all.