Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Anyone have their App approved?

nobleRobot wrote:

Now comes the question of when to submit a updated version with the new Code Signing tools: before my first version is approved, or after.

Why would anyone resubmit with no changes other than code-signing?  The lack of code-signing has never been a reason for rejection or delay, and you might just be making more work for yourself if it turns out they request some small changes before they can approve, as you'd have to do two more submissions then.  

Also, there's a chance doing so will simply slow down the overall approval process, affecting others, and that's reason enough not to do it until and unless RIM explicitly requests that we start doing that.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
nobleRobot
My Device: Free Playbook!

[ Edited ]

I tend to agree with that logic, I do, but that doesn't mean that the thought of updating my app isn't rattling around in my head. The (perfectly reasonable) idea is that it might be a faster process if BB didn't have to ask me to resubmit the signed app, and could instead just get right to it. They're already going to have to evaluate both versions, so this might actually save time if they know that the update is just for code signing (we can say so in the realease notes). Presumably, it could save a few days, a week even. BB might even prefer if people did it that way, but of course we have no way of knowing.

Now, if they *did* ask for changes, they would ask based on the first version, and likely wouldn't even look at the second version. And then it would take me as much time to create a third version in this scenario as it would to take to make a second version in a scenario where I didn't update it. No worries. As far as impacting others by having them look at three versions and not two, I tend to think that if the first version is approved, the next will likely be approved quickly, but if the first isn't approved, than it's a matter of BB evaluating *either* a second version or a third version, they would not likely need to look at both.

But, of course... even if my app isn't in the store until April, it would likely still be ready for the launch of the device, so really it's a matter of impatience, I must admit. It's difficult to sit on your hands, you know. :-P

Frankly, Blackberry needs to put out a recommendation to developers now that Code Signing is available, since there are so many of us in this situation. They're being swamped with submissions, and I'm sure if they let us know what would be more convenient for them, we'd all be happy to follow thier instructions. Without that, we're just guessing at which is the more efficient path. We don't really have any way to know for sure

mark-lacroix.com | Operators: the game with two sides
Please give me Kudos if I've earned it!
Developer
peter9477

nobleRobot wrote:

BB might even prefer if people did it that way, but of course we have no way of knowing.

Frankly, Blackberry needs to put out a recommendation to developers now that Code Signing is available, since there are so many of us in this situation. They're being swamped with submissions, and I'm sure if they let us know what would be more convenient for them, we'd all be happy to follow thier instructions. Without that, we're just guessing at which is the more efficient path. We don't really have any way to know for sure

Yes, yes, and yes... exactly my thoughts.  Given that we know  exactly nothing about this, the better approach has to be the status quo.  New submitters should happily sign their apps, while we who already submitted should sit tight, unless we hear otherwise.

This is definitely not the first time we've seen a wonderful opportunity for RIM to be much more proactive in communicating, nor, I suspect, will it be the last. :smileyhappy:

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

Well it does say this in the email about receiving the PlayBook:

In order to be made available for download in BlackBerry App World, all apps must go through a “signing” process. We’ll let you know when the code-signing system is available and explain how to resubmit your app to BlackBerry App World.

But again, there's no clarity about this either, nevemind having to do it between waiting for approval. I've updated my app since I submitted it but I haven't updated it in App World yet. I'll wait and see what their resubmission guidelines are first.

I've ordered the keys so I'm just waiting, waiting, waiting.

It's annoying, isn't it? :smileyhappy:

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer
peter9477

@cas118, yes, certainly.  Nobody is saying we won't have to sign our apps... we definitely will.  

It's just that it's not (yet) a requirement for getting approval, and I'm suggesting that those who have already submitted and have not yet received approval will not benefit from resubmitting right away with a signed version, while there may be disadvantages (to others, if not to you).

I do think if someone has submitted, doesn't have approval yet, and has made changes which they think will greatly increase the chance of approval, then they should submit an update (signing it, if possible).  If it's just minor changes, I think waiting is better if there's any chance it will speed up processing for the others who are waiting or who have yet to submit.  

Remember, at the moment we're all in this together, since every new app that gets approved increases the chances of success for this product, and every approval that gets someone a PlayBook increases the chance that developer will stick around to build more apps.

Developer
nobleRobot
My Device: Free Playbook!

peter9477 wrote:
will not benefit from resubmitting right away with a signed version, while there may be disadvantages (to others, if not to you).

I don't want to start a debate, since I'll probably just wait it out myself, but I don't really see any evidance for your certainty here. There is just as much logic behind the idea that it would actually be a good idea for all involved to re-submit a code signed app as soon as possible, which is to say, very little evidance indeed!

mark-lacroix.com | Operators: the game with two sides
Please give me Kudos if I've earned it!
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I would think the testing group will triage submissions.  First submissions before re-submissions.  Re-test due to an issue vs. basic update.  If they pulled people from other groups to work on PB and the pipeline slows up, those resources might be sent back.  If your app has been approved and you dont have any other enhancements to do on your app, and you got it signed, I would re-submit so BB can open up the app store.  We will not get any warning when the PB is available or the app store is fully open for PB.  Best to have as many fully completed apps ready when they are.

Developer
peter9477

I'm usually quite precise in my wording, but I did get a bit off with that last statement, after attempting to clarify so many times.  

True, it's the case that there's no evidence of any benefit, which means that in terms of facts, we have only the certain knowledge that doing the one thing (waiting for a response and resubmitting only once) is potentially less work than doing the other thing (resubmitting signed app, then getting a response and having to resubmit a second time with changes).

Contributor
trickyelf
My Device: 9630

[ Edited ]

Woohoo!

Finally Dungeon Joe is approved and in the App Store! Free Playbook, come to papa :smileyhappy:

Dungeon Joe App World Page

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/23715/

-=Cliff>

Dungeon Joe - A Touch-focused Strategy Game http://dungeonjoe.com
Developer
turtle-dev
My Device: Torch

submitted - 12/19   11:42pm PST

approved - 2/18      4:40pm PST

Inverse Square Law Calculator - this is a free app.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My PlayBook Apps