Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

App World Alternative

Does anyone know if consumers will be able to download and install apps from  sources other than App World?  On the BB cell phone side, they are able to purchase and download from other mobile app market places.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: App World Alternative

i think ryan said in one of the CES videos that intiially it will not be possible and the user has to use App World for the playbook. he then continued to say that in the future it may be possible.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

That is probably good to consider when building out how your app will work for trial periods, license keys, and in-app payments of resources.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

I personally feel that the ability to side load apps leads to an increase in stolen apps. This may sound ignorant, and I am an iPhone user who does not jailbreak, but I personally prefer the closed, integrated idea as opposed to the open one. Just my $0.02 but I would hope RIM keeps that app store as the single method of app distribution. It also is easier for the general consumer.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
JohnPinkerton
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)
My Carrier: Regional

I prefer an open environment as opposed to the closed one. I feel it is up to the developer to secure their app in such a way to prevent it from being stolen/misused, but in the same token I understand where you're coming from jffurlan.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

I have to go with John on this one. We also have to think about the many sites that help promote our applications and are supported by alternate stores.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Sorry, I wasn't trying to said one side was right or wrong. Just for me, as a new developer, it's nice to be guided through the process and to be assured that my app will be protected. If I had to handle distribution that would be a different story and long, more complex process for making my app as I woudldn't want it to be downloaded and transfered amongst devices. (you can probably tell I have very little knowledge on the subject of distribution outside of an "App Store")

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.