Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: App World Upgrade Purchase

You're correct.  App world does not have trial periods as part of the core product.  I was refering to threads were the app is managing trail periods where it is a seperate product in app world.  For example "My Box Trail".

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

I can only answer for how AppWorld manage this on BlackBerry smartphones, but I assume that it will be the same for the PlayBook.

*When there is an upgrade avalible for your application, an update is pinged to BlackBerry AppWorld informing the customer that an update is avaliable. The customer can then click an update button that downloads the new version of the application. On BlackBerry smartphones this inherits some of the properties of the former executable (such as icon location) and keeps all saved data.

*If you wish to require a payment for an upgrade to a new version you may do so by setting a price that is unrelated to the price of the application. For example you could have an application that is at first worth $5 for version 1.0 and then allow users of version 1.0 to upgrade to version 2.0 for only $1 while anyone new purchasing version 2.0 would have to pay the full $5. Of course you could always choose to change the normal application price at the same time (or really any time) to whatever you want. Personally I have choosen not to charge for version updates.

*Updates from trial versions to full versions are mostly unrelated to this. Addtionally I would strongly suggest that you use the new Payment API rather than the appworld try and buy option.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer

If you're using the payment sdk to "upgrade" to a new version, how are you suppose to get the new version then?

Has anyone tried using the AIR upgrade API on the PB?  It means having the upgrade AIR file on a server other than app world. 

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

[ Edited ]

i doubt they would allow you to load your app via your own methods (AIR Update API). at first, maybe longer, they will want to have control of what goes into and out of your app. if you were to do the update externally, they wouldnt be able to say if its "approve" worthy. our best bet will be to assume app world will have a majority of control over updates and upgrades of your application.

Edit: also forgot to add, the in app payment system from what i saw will rely on the App World native app. if you look at the documentation, there will be a lot of listeners at work. so most likely, when you do add something to your app, the user will be taken to the App Wolrd app.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

John, looks like unless we couple it to an actual upgrade download, we couldn't use the Payment Service to do an upgrade then (if it wasn't just a "feature-limited to full" upgrade).

If you had an upgrade that was a free download and it used the Payment SDK in some fashion to get payment to you, I guess that could work, but it would be an indirect thing...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

I agree.  The payment SDK is probably only good for adding "resources" to your app or purchase the already download software.  Cant think of a scenario where you can use it to upgrade.  Does not sound fair to have someone download your upgrade and then tell them it will cost money and not allow them to get back to the earlier version.

Developer

Yeah.  The only variant that occurred to me is that with version A, they use Payment to purchase full access to the upgrade to version B, then they go and download version B (which has to be marked "free" to avoid a double-charge, so therefore has to enable itself as a feature- or time-limited trial unless it discovers that purchase was already made in which case it is unrestricted.

That would work, though I'm not sure what good it is.  Maybe just that they are stuck for a moment with a limited version, if they do it the other way around (download upgrade first, then while it's in limited mode, use Payment to buy full access).

Always good to explore the ins and outs though... we may think of an innovation.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Innovation is great.  Keeping it simple for the developer and more so, the end user is important as well.  I tend to over-complicate a problem and I need to force myself to step back and look at it from the user's point of view.  If purchasing/upgrade is a pain, I will lose revenue.

Developer

Totally agreed.  I do like to explore the bounds of a problem space, or go past them, just so I'll understand things thoroughly and know what the tradeoffs are.  Then after finding some innovative ways to do something, you have to ask yourself if the costs in complexity outweigh the benefits, and maybe pull back.

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

jtegen wrote:

If you're using the payment sdk to "upgrade" to a new version, how are you suppose to get the new version then?

The way I have used the payment SDK to upgrade, it unlocks code that is already there, rather than download a different executable.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com