Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

App World Webinar Questions

With an exciting webinar approaching (last in a series), I thought it might be useful to the BB presenters if they had more time to prepare for certain questions that would likely be asked during the presentation.

Just post questions in hopes that BB will read this and respond during the presentation or here.

Webinar will be at:

http://webcast.streamlogics.com/audience/index.asp?eventid=70532953

Here some of my own:

1. How will application be updated?  Via App World or the native Adobe Update API where the developer hosts the AIR file.  If so, will the PB version of Flash convert the AIR installer to the BAR file?  Are there certain guidelines to follow if the application checks for updates? At startup, user action on a button like "Check for updates"?
  2. For applications that might be paid and a version that might be free, is there any infrastructure offered by the API in conjunction with App World that will deal with registration keys and feature locking or is that all up to the developer?  Is it best to just have one upload as "free" and one upload that is "paid" that both carry the same application ID so a paid version will replace a free version?
  3. Estimated time when App World will be available to upload in private form (as in not open to the public but will allow developers to start filling in content prior to the offical public release of PB App World)?
  4. Will the App World application for PB be available for the simulator to start some testing?
  5. Approximately how long will "approval" take once an application has been submitted?
  6. What the the guide lines for application acceptance?
  7. If an application is rejected, will the developer be told why it was rejected?
  8. If a rejected application gets re-submitted with the last round of issues resolved, does the re-submitted application get moved up in the review queue to those that might be first round submissions?
  9. Will there be a desktop BB application like there is for BB phones where users can install PB applications directly to the PB via USB?
New Developer
dkerr
My Device: Playbook

Re: App World Webinar Questions

Can enterprise (aka company-specific) applications be distributed via the App World? If so, how? If not, how does one distribute apps to users to install on their Playbook outside of the App World?

Thanks,

Don

Don Kerr
Manager, Space City Adobe User Group
Houston, Tx
www.spacecityaug.com
Developer
pedgarcia
My Device: Bold 9000

Maybe you already know, but the rules were now published. It seems that the way you can submit and/or update your app will be the same used for smartphones applications.

Now, specifically about the free Playbook offer, you can find more information at http://us.blackberry.com/developers/tablet/terms_conditions.jsp.

It doesn't seem to have a lot of conditions though. For example, excluding weblinks and "fart-type applications" makes sense for me. 

Of course, using the term "in its sole and absolute discretion" gives them almighty power to approve or reject any kind of app, but the message I'm reading here is that RIM is willing to pay developers "couple hundreds of dollars"  to have the App World full of good apps at launch time. It seems a smart move.

Regards

(*) Kudo-me if you really think I helped you!
My plug: I'm doing a Mobile Experiment, reported on my Blog: Check it out!.
---------------------------
Paulo Garcia
http://www.mobilecreators.com - Twitter: http://twitter.com/mobilecreators
Developer
jtegen

In the conditions, BB has that if there are too many ('excessive') applications of a certain category, that they may reject additional applications of the same category.  Let's assume a "category" is something more specific than "social media", or "im" or "chat", but let's take Twitter clients as an example of a "category".

If 10 Twitter are in App World, and candidate Twitter client #11 is by far "better" than 1-10, will that be excluded?  And if "10" is the magical number that is allowed in App World, would one of the earlier apps be removed in place of the new candidate?

I know there is some reason why this clause is there, but should not the "market" determine which applications are to stay in App World?  App World already has a user rating system, should'nt that determine which will float to the top?

Developer
pedgarcia
My Device: Bold 9000

I believe the excessive number of applications will determine whether you're eligible or not for the free Playbook, not to prevent the app to be accepted.

Anyway, it is very subjective and I believe they will be opened for discussion if necessary.

Regards

(*) Kudo-me if you really think I helped you!
My plug: I'm doing a Mobile Experiment, reported on my Blog: Check it out!.
---------------------------
Paulo Garcia
http://www.mobilecreators.com - Twitter: http://twitter.com/mobilecreators
Developer
jtegen

Still kind of scary for a developer who may have worked long hours to get the most amazing experience for the end user, who still submits prior to the deadline but finds out later that the application falls into a category that was determined earlier to be saturated.  I expect that BB will have some kind of appeal process in situations like this.  It would be good to know from App World that a category has been closed out and where to submit for appeal.  Otherwise a developer or company may have spent considerable resources to only find out later that there are no avenues to get the application into the marketplace.  Hate to see what happended with Apple's store and iPad/iPhone happen here.

Developer
gluth
My Device: 9860/PlayBook/Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Plus GSM

Truly speaking, I would not spent my free time to create another Twitter application, or any other application which seems to be to obvious (like web browsers :smileywink: - I laughed reading terms).

My concerns are cumulated in this point:

However, be advised that the distribution of the Device will not begin until the Device is commercially available to the public in the Eligible Participant’s country of residence (as provided to Sponsor during initial registration at the Vendor Portal).

In my country newcomming devices are available more than year or two after official launch in the US (or western europe). It is not matter, than my European country is in EU, this is more than third world, and I may wait for my device up to two or three years, and it may end that device will not be continued (b/c of creation of PlayBook2 - none of Storm series BB was officially distributed here). There is many examples of services and products, which are well known world wide (like iTunes, BB Thorch), and they are not yet available in my country (and it is hard to tell when they will be).

Creation of app which will be eligible for free device will be win, but not so sweat as it should be.

Found my post helpfull? Like it! It solves your trouble? Help others and accept it as solution. Search before asking.
My apps: Secret Cod3s | Should my tablet be banned?
--
Jakub Nietrzeba
PGS Software S.A.
Your reliable partner in Poland - IT Outsourcing - BlackBerry, iPhone, Web and Standalone applications
Developer
ddluk
My Device: Z10 and Z30

I also fell the same situation Jakub. I'm also from Poland. We will probably get Playbook 1 when in USA they will be releasing Playbook 2. Maybe there is any possibility to change that term?

Developer
Harry_Dodgson
My Device: Bold 9900

Hi,

I'd like to know if there will be some functionality I can use in my app like this:

private const mypin:uint = Device.device.pin;
if (! verifiedPaid(mypin))

showBuyMeDialogThenExit();

else

runMyApp();

Harry

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide, SuperClip
Accepted OS4-7 SmartPhone App: KeepLightOn
New Developer
dkerr
My Device: Playbook

Please add this to the Webinar questions for today too...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Will-Adobe-Flex-Mobile-apps-be-ap...

Don Kerr
Manager, Space City Adobe User Group
Houston, Tx
www.spacecityaug.com