Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
chall3ng3r
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Z10 LE

App World search for PlayBook apps sucks big time!

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Note: My apologies for a bit harsh title. But it tells, I'm really not happy :/

I am really glad that the PlayBook is in the hands of end-users now and they are searching and downloading our apps. I have made few sales and a review as well with 2 star rating :smileyhappy:

Since the day my apps got listed in App World, I have been trying to search using different keywords targeting my apps, so I can see if my apps also get listed in search results. For some searches it works, but for most, it doesn't.

I specificaly added "for BlackBerry PlayBook" in name of both of my apps, so when user do a generic search to find just all PlayBook apps, my apps also get listed. But unfortunately, thats not the case.

I also included "PlayBook™" word in decription of my apps just to be sure. This time my apps are shown in results. But who's gonna add that small "™" into the search query?

Edit: BTW, that TM thing when user click Next, is then converted to single qoute (") and becomes PlayBook" which gives Invalid Search Query error on next page.

Reviewers were told there are over 3000 apps in App World for PlayBook. But how one can see all of these 3000+ apps when the link to App World from the PlayBook tablet page (scroll down, link to the right of tablet image) only shows 34 apps in total?

The link just performs a search on the App World for "PlayBook" keyword. As stated, only 34 apps are shown. And yes, apps from me and other developers I know from here, which include "for BlackBerry PlayBook" keywords in app names, does not show there.

Anyone who have a PlayBook tried to do different searches? and how many apps are shown for simple PlayBook search?

@RIM kindly allow searching for all words in app names and also partial keywords.

Thanks,

// chall3ng3r //

--
- Our PlayBook Apps: IdeaPad | EasyCrop | Popcornia
- Free Icon Maker for BlackBerry PlayBook developers | 5900+ icons created and counting
- A Kudo is appreciated if you like my post :smileyhappy:
- My post soveld the problem? Please click Accept as Solution.
Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style

Re: App World search for PlayBook apps sucks big time!

I saw in one of the forums that on the Playbook..you will only be able to see Playbook apps. I usually search by my name and it works nice.

Developer
chall3ng3r
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Z10 LE

Yeah, that would make perfect sense. But If someone is taking a look from a PC, or maybe another tablet?

Well, I can search for my app's exact name, and I see it there. But I am talking about the end-user's experience. Will he ever find the apps easily?

I am keenly waiting for my PlayBook, and I will do a lot of these search experiments and share my findings.

// chall3ng3r //

--
- Our PlayBook Apps: IdeaPad | EasyCrop | Popcornia
- Free Icon Maker for BlackBerry PlayBook developers | 5900+ icons created and counting
- A Kudo is appreciated if you like my post :smileyhappy:
- My post soveld the problem? Please click Accept as Solution.
Developer
tensioncore
My Device: Bold 9900/Z10 Special Edition

When searching on the actual device, there are definitely thousands....I went on and on looking through various apps, and the search works very well... and in fact returned ONLY 2 apps including mine when searching "shorten"
CEO/Lead Developer - Tensioncore™ Design Studios
http://tncr.ws/ - ShortenThis!™ for Blackberry Playbook | ShortenThis!™ for BlackBerry® 10
The Periodical Toe A highly informative Table of Elements
DrawThis! A fun drawing app for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™!
http://www.tensioncore.com/ - Tensioncore™ Web Hosting
New Developer
cmax
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

I agree that there is an issue searching apps via the web store.  An advanced search option should be made available, and at minimum a search filtering results by device.  This isn't just an issue searching for PlayBook apps obviously, but also for searching for apps available for specific smartphone devices.

Developer
Acenet
My Device: PlayBook

AppWorld search engine is quite strange indeed !

Use cases:

-search for "playbook", "free&paid"

=> 34 results (2 pages with default "25")

With the first one being: Adobe® Connect™ Mobile

Where is "playbook" ? In description yes.... but like most of others app. not in the 34 list.

Well I guess it's legitimate for Adobe to have special treatment in the AppWorld,

but I would simply quote mister Sp. "it's not logic".

-search for "for playbook", "free&paid"

=> 235 results ! (5 pages with default "25")

Is it me, or is there a pb in the engine ?

(and I'm not talking about the total results random changes, when changing the result per page setting....)

JC
New Developer
daniel_wind
My Device: BB Playbook

Hi chall3ng3r,

I agree with you. I am completely unhappy with searching mechanisms used by BB on the App World. I was shocked when I saw only ~34 apps on the Playbook tablet page. This is definitely unfair for other developers, and the fact that there is no playbook filter on web search is ridiculous. I haven't got my Playbook yet but even when you could only see Playbook apps, how are END USERS going to target ones app then (in my case, a game)? 

On the web-based search, I searched: "playbook strategy games" and I got a lot of apps (735) that are not even for the playbook but for other mobile devices and amazingly only ~8 apps are listed that fall into that category and BTW my game does not even show in the whole queue (being it a playbook strategy game).

The fact that we need to stick "Blackberry Playbook" or "For Blackberry Playbook" on the title/description for the app to show on a general search is simply unbelievable. The "tm" thing you mentioned made me laugh.

I think RIM needs urgently to rework the App World search-discovery mechanisms if they really want to be competitive in this market, because Apple App Store is way ahead of it as well as Android Market. I want to make clear that I am not comparing market targets here, I am just concerned on the apps discovery methods employed in the app world. 

As a required question, can you change the name of the app (append "For Playbook") even when you have some releases in house testing? Do you have to reupload a new release with XML entries for the name updated?

Cheers,

-------------------------------------
www.danielwind.net

Playbook App:
Grab Da Crab
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

You can change the vendor portal name.  The installed app name does not have to match what is listed in app sorld, but it should be close.

For example: Vendor Portal/App World : "Draw Circles for PlayBook"

Installed App Name : "Draw Circles"

Developer
KenSalmon
My Device: Tour

Don't use "for PlayBook". Use "for BlackBerry PlayBook" instead. The spelling with the capitalized B's where they show here is also important. RIM asked me to make this change on my submissiion to App World. Fair enough, it's their trademark, and should be spelled the way they ask.

I haven't seen this declared anywhere specifically, but they asked me to make this change via email. I do wish the policy was laid out somewhere (or, somewhere easy to find).
New Developer
daniel_wind
My Device: BB Playbook

@jtegen @KenSalmon,

Thanks for your advices. I will change it as soon as possible. Love this community.

Cheers,

-------------------------------------
www.danielwind.net

Playbook App:
Grab Da Crab