Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: -

Re: App crashes on device but runs fine on simulator

I really didn't know I had to declare the AIR version in the app.xml file; I thought I only had to state it in the "Platform">"Compilation Target" parameters.

Certainly, I will not repeat the same mistake again.

Thank you so much for your help!

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

I have been burned by that one before.   Arguably your IDE should have handled that little detail for you. This is the blessing and the curse of IDE's - they do a lot of the tedious work for you, but then that can result in you not needing to know low level details that can be the root cause of a problem.

New Developer

[ Edited ]

I get you, but I'm really happy with my IDE; I use FlashDevelop and, althought it has been very tricky for me to set it up for BB development, I feel I have learned a little more than if I had used FlashBuilder from the beginning. Also, it's free!

What IDE do you mainly use and why?

Developer

[ Edited ]

I'm not against IDE's - I just am wary of what I regard as potential pitfalls in maintaining a bullet proof audit trail of both source code and build flow.

I also use FlashDevelop, but mostly for code completion and flushing syntax etc. errors.  I also use it because it's free, I can't cost-justify a FB license (all my apps are free novelty apps at this point), and I'm not sure how much longer I want to continue working in AS3 given the "Flash is on the way out" vibe around the web.

For compiling for the simulator or the device, I use a homegrown commandline flow.

Doing this helps me track my build flow in git, and although I'm sure you could track your IDE config files in git as well, that could potentially make the audit trail for any particular build you have published and want to support customers on more complicated, since the config files could be dependent on a particular version of your IDE for example.

All in my opinion of course.

Developer

Oh and "why do I want a bullet proof audit trail for source code and build flow if I just have novelty apps"?

Because hopefully it'll be more serious apps going forward, and IMO it's good to have those audit trails for tracking down bugs reported by paying customers and keeping them happy.

New Developer

Whoa, I respect all the extra work you are doing for the sake of having more control, I'm a novice so I wouldn't make much of all that data and processes yet. Guess time will teach me.

I'm also uncertain of the future of AS3, but at least it works now :smileytongue:

Good luck with your apps and I hope they get bigger and better :smileyhappy: