Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
AppStoreLover
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

App icon based on default cube sample(90x90). OK?

[ Edited ]

Is it OK if the app icon is 90x90? my app icon has been overlayed in a perspective over the PlayBook's default cube icon template.

The UI Guidelines document specifies a maximum of 86x86 size icon. The sample cube icon provided is 90x90. Is it OK to create a custom icon 90x90 using the default template which is 90x90?

UPDATE: You should be good as long as you use the default template icon.

Source: My app and several others apps were approved.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: App icon 90x90 based on default cube. OK?

[ Edited ]

Hey AppStoreLover,

According to the UI Guidelines the size needs to be 78 x 78 86 x86.

Edit: I think this is the second time i've messed up my numbers in regards to the application icon haha

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Rossman
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I thought the docs said the max was 86x86 but I could be wrong!

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/22301/Designing_application_icons_tablet_14015...

Please use plain text.
Developer
AppStoreLover

What would be my options if I want ot use the 3D cube icon? I dont like the flat look.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

you can use a 3D view of it, but just stay within the limits of 86 x 86 pixel of what ever canvas you are using to create your icon.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

AppStoreLover wrote:

What would be my options if I want ot use the 3D cube icon? I dont like the flat look.

I just took the cube from this folder

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder Burrito\sdks\blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.2\samples\icons

and overlayed my graphic on top of the BlackBerry logo. It gives me the 3D cube and matches their "default" icon.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
AppStoreLover

I used the same icon as a template and it is 90x90. It goes against the recommended 86x86 specification.
Did you have your app approved with that icon?

jffurlan wrote:

I just took the cube from this folder

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder Burrito\sdks\blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.2\samples\icons

and overlayed my graphic on top of the BlackBerry logo. It gives me the 3D cube and matches their "default" icon.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Sorry, I forgot to add that I resized the image to 86x86 lol.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
PBDev
My Device: Free PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

90x90 icons works in the simulator. That's what I'm using and I have two apps accepted into App World. I don't know about on an actual playbook but I've seen a video of a playbook with the default icon. The 90x90 icon does covers up the shadow.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I was thinking of whipping up a template in Inkscape and sharing it, but I won't bother if anyone else has already done that.  Has anyone got a vector-based template for the translucent box?

Note that we don't all have to use the box either... it will look a bit dreary if everyone's icon looks exactly like that.  This isn't the Apple ecosystem... let's go for a bit of variety and innovation! :-)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.