Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Application Activation Process

A few threads are trying to understand the full cycle of downloads, activations, trails, purchases, and upgrades.  It is still not clear what app world on the PB will do for all of this and some of us assumed that it would manage all of this for the apps, but it may not or may not in time of the release of the device.

For my own coding efforts, I have a process flow diagram for (1) for me to understand it and (2) to see it will help anyone else and (3) get feedback to see if I missed something.

This process assumes that the dynamic license key model is being used and that a remote activation server and database is available to the developer.  I am certain it can be modified to not have this step, but without an external datastore of downloads by app id, app version and device id, I am not certain all scenarios can work.  It would be nice if app world could be queried for this information by developer id or something.

This process does not deal with in application purchases with the PaymentSystem SDK.  That deals with resource purchases and not really the purchase of the actual application.

I still need to run the flow diagram thru some more use case scenarios, but I hope in the end it will cover:

• trail period
  • purchase
  • upgrade
  • move to new device
  • uninstall and reinstall

Appreciate feedback.  I know people are shy about that.

See attachment...

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Application Activation Process

First (minor) feedback: make sure you write "trial" and not "trail", to avoid confusing anyone. :smileyhappy:  

(I know, spelling's not your strong suit... no need to apologize.)

Also, I wouldn't discount the Payment SDK stuff for purchases of the "actual application".  Since it's not restricted in any way for this, making the initial download "free" and then using Payment to support your whole business model may become a fairly popular option.

Note to anyone contemplating that.  It would be good to make it really clear, early in your description, that the app isn't really "free", to avoid complaints about time/bandwidth wasted downloading it only to find it limited for use until a payment is made.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
jtegen

Thanks for that too.  Been looking into that was well as an option.

Yes, spelling is not perfect, but my other issue is typing too fast and getting the words with dropped or swapped letters.  If I dont type fast, @jrab will answer the post before me.  Cant tell you the number of times I read my post afterwards and have to edit some stupid mistakes.  I hope you wont think less of me. :smileysad:

Developer
tensioncore
My Device: Bold 9900/Z10 Special Edition

[ Edited ]

jtegen wrote:

If I dont type fast, @jrab will answer the post before me. 

I hear ya on that one! HAHA its soooo true!

Very great draft you did there!
Lets get all this stuff sorted out and then you can do a super nice quality one!
Looks pretty good to me, but I don't have previous knowledge of any of the payment stuff on BBs.

One thing that looks a bit off to me is the part where it says: Activation + period beyond today?

to me that looks as though there is no direction of if the app has been activated with full license??

CEO/Lead Developer - Tensioncore™ Design Studios
http://tncr.ws/ - ShortenThis!™ for Blackberry Playbook | ShortenThis!™ for BlackBerry® 10
The Periodical Toe A highly informative Table of Elements
DrawThis! A fun drawing app for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™!
http://www.tensioncore.com/ - Tensioncore™ Web Hosting
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

LMAO! here i thought i was alone! its funny you are worried about my posts, im worried about you guys posting - its like a viscious cycle hahaj

great flow chart john! its like burst of wind clearing the fog of RIM Dev details :smileyhappy:

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
jtegen

Good catch.  I could put a decision node after "Get File Info" that is "is type = 'trial'" that would go down the path of checking activation key or just "continue run app".

I guess it would be bad form or too much to have the user "renew" the application after a year at some nominal fee.  I guess I could just create an "upgrade" for that same small fee.

Probably have another update shortly.

Developer
jtegen

Here is an update flow chart from feedback received.

Developer
tensioncore
My Device: Bold 9900/Z10 Special Edition

Awesome. Looks perfect now.
CEO/Lead Developer - Tensioncore™ Design Studios
http://tncr.ws/ - ShortenThis!™ for Blackberry Playbook | ShortenThis!™ for BlackBerry® 10
The Periodical Toe A highly informative Table of Elements
DrawThis! A fun drawing app for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™!
http://www.tensioncore.com/ - Tensioncore™ Web Hosting