Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
tensioncore
My Device: Bold 9900/Z10 Special Edition
My Carrier: Rogers

Application Menu Items

Hey so I notice a fair bit of people are including swipe-down menus for their apps, now I have some ideas about what one could be used for, my question is;

what are all of you guys/gals putting up there in that precious extra real estate?
CEO/Lead Developer - Tensioncore™ Design Studios
http://tncr.ws/ - ShortenThis!™ for Blackberry Playbook | ShortenThis!™ for BlackBerry® 10
The Periodical Toe A highly informative Table of Elements
DrawThis! A fun drawing app for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™!
http://www.tensioncore.com/ - Tensioncore™ Web Hosting
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Application Menu Items

hey nick,

nice thread! i had the same question, was kind of tough trying to think of something but so far i have the different views of the application as menu options (Add, View, Edit, Sync, Settings). what did you have in mind?

also your sig has a spelling error (Shoten This). im a nitpick :smileyhappy:

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
JohnPinkerton
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)
My Carrier: Regional

My utility app has different views, I use the swipe down for the user to navigate between the views, then based on the view it shows different buttons.

So for instance, the "Input" state has save/reset buttons and the "view" state has delete/update buttons.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

In one app I use it just to display a graphic with the title of my app. I have another where the swipe down loads a simple menu, but it also brings in containers from the side that have menu options. Just finding ways to make it the most useful/professional looking to the end user.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Buttons/icons for: global help, global settings, an"about"/"credits" screen, support site link/email ... stuff like that.

Please use plain text.
Developer
tensioncore
My Device: Bold 9900/Z10 Special Edition

[ Edited ]

@JRab - Thanks for pointing that out! I have a problem with this forum software...When I post from my phone it should ALWAYS append my MOBILE SIG, and when on the computer it should ALWAYS append my REGULAR SIG....but it doesn't it only displays MOBILE SIG when VIEWING mobile, and REGULAR SIG when viewing on a PC, never they way it should.... Now with that rant out of the way....

As for my app, ShortenThis doesn't have any settings or any other "views", however the fact you guys have different views for your app gives me an idea to throw my "Shortened URLS" box onto another view, or maybe into the "Menu" and just have an overlay like the menu is anyways.....

I was thinking that I would have a the app name, an "About" button (also then showing an overlay instead of going to another view), maybe a "Paste" button since this app shortens really long URLS, may as well paste them directly into the URL field , no? and well, as for what else, I'm not really sure???

EDIT: I had an idea, and maybe lets keep this on the DL (HAHA NOT LIKELY).....I might put a so-called "easter egg" into a future app up in the swipe-down menu....what that easter egg may be, I'll keep to myself....but hey you guys could do that too if you want!

CEO/Lead Developer - Tensioncore™ Design Studios
http://tncr.ws/ - ShortenThis!™ for Blackberry Playbook | ShortenThis!™ for BlackBerry® 10
The Periodical Toe A highly informative Table of Elements
DrawThis! A fun drawing app for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™!
http://www.tensioncore.com/ - Tensioncore™ Web Hosting
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

@nick: Dude i know how you feel about the forum sig issue. i was thrown off by it a while back. grown used to it since. they need to make it more clear lol

definitely adding views to your app will increase its face value, so the more options the better!

and if this was apple, they wouldnt like "easter eggs" haha... good thing RIM isnt crapple :smileyhappy:

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
T55555
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

tensioncore wrote:
Hey so I notice a fair bit of people are including swipe-down menus for their apps, now I have some ideas about what one could be used for, my question is;

what are all of you guys/gals putting up there in that precious extra real estate?

Hi,

Please have a look at my app "Peg Solitaire!" about the swipe-down menu.

Demo Video (  This is Ad ;-)  )

In fact, I would like my app can play on any orientation / direction;

And I don't want get into more complex code to support orientation. ( don't have real device to test, so, don't want to risk for now )

If you look at demo video, my app is kind of being able to play in any orientations.

Because, there is no any text or button to make it looks upside-down / side way ( rotated ).

That's why I choice to put all menu stuff on swipe-down menu.

( even on menu, there is no text at all )

It is kind of cheating way to make it as closer as possible for supporting orientation. :-)

Of course, the stuff to put on swipe-down menu depends on application.

But, from what I heard and saw, I think the "rule" is like:

Put most (always) needed menu stuff on the screen if possible,

put less (occasion / less)  needed stuff on swipe-down menu to save real estate.

( of course, if you don't have real estate concern, nethier design looking concern, then I would suggest don't use swipe-down menu at all;  Like always, put youself as user, and think what you would like to see / design )

---------------------
a) If you like my response/post, please provide a Kudo (white star to the left).
b) If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JohnPinkerton
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)
My Carrier: Regional

T5, that's pretty impressive! I'm glad you made that app I was hoping someone was going to make that game! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

I saw that video awhile back (on playbookdaily i think) but never clued in to the fact that orientation does not matter. Very, very clever. I wouldn't call it cheating though, I think it's a really smart idea.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.