If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
amiz
My Device: Not Specified

Application Name

I am porting an application that's on the AppWorld to the Tablet.

Can the Tablet app have the same name and be released on the AppWorld or should it have a different name?

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Application Name

Chances are you are going to run into some sort of conflict. from what i've read whenever you are creating a different compatible version for the same app on a different device, you do so on the same application setup page and simply choose the new platform. but since we are required to add our AIR app as a playbook app only at first, the system probably wont allow the dupilicate name since the computer thinks its a different application.

your best bet will be to simply name your app "[Your app name] for PlayBook". someone else who attempted to port their app will probably have a more clear approach.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
copycatapps

Unlike the Apple itunes store, Blackberry AppWorld encourages the following:

1)  Apps with the same name

2)  Apps with the same functionality.

It seems as though they want their developers to fight each other instead of having a quality App store.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

"fight each other"?  Yeah, it's called competition!

Unless you're just going to, uh, "copy-cat" someone's apps.... ;-)

Seriously though, I see nothing wrong with having numerous apps with similar functionality, provided no one is outright copying.  I've sometimes tried a dozen similarly functioning apps on the Android, only to end up with only one or two that are actually useful, usable, and reasonably presentable.

Also, I'm fairly certain I read that in App World we can't use a name that's already taken... I seem to recall reading something about it being better to register a name early so you wouldn't find it was taken when you got around to submitting your app.  Anyone recall that and have a real reference for us?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I dont recall the reference, but yes, you cannot have duplicate names in App World.  So yes, if you have an app planned in the next 6 months, I would go ahead and register it early (no description or files needed).

Please use plain text.
carlhens

Hello,

Unfortunately, only the iTunes store cares about Apps with the same name and functionality.  They will not approve you if your App mimics another existing App.

Blackberry App World does not care.  This, indeed, does encourage piracy and discourages partnerships with sincere developers.  It waters down the marketing efforts since no one wants to spend time/money on marketing/branding/name recognition of their  App when people can get confused and buy the "knock off"

Also, when the knock off gets bad reviews, it impacts the original app's reputation.  One name and two different Apps?  Two different code of ethics and two different levels of customer service?  I don't know why RIM continues to allow two different developers to name their Apps with the same name.  It just doesn't reflect well on them.

I don't think that RIM understands this.  Parternships with their developers should be allowed to flourish; not be crushed.

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

carlhens wrote:

Hello,

Unfortunately, only the iTunes store cares about Apps with the same name and functionality.  They will not approve you if your App mimics another existing App.

Blackberry App World does not care.  This, indeed, does encourage piracy and discourages partnerships with sincere developers.  It waters down the marketing efforts since no one wants to spend time/money on marketing/branding/name recognition of their  App when people can get confused and buy the "knock off"

Also, when the knock off gets bad reviews, it impacts the original app's reputation.  One name and two different Apps?  Two different code of ethics and two different levels of customer service?  I don't know why RIM continues to allow two different developers to name their Apps with the same name.  It just doesn't reflect well on them.

I don't think that RIM understands this.  Parternships with their developers should be allowed to flourish; not be crushed.

are we living on the same planet?

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

As far as I know, app names cannot be the same in app world.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

I think what he is referring to is stuff like "MyGame" (actual game) and "My Game HD" (rip off) maybe? I haven't re-read their policy since I signed up. Could be wrong - do they allow that?
J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Probably.  If they do and you feel they are infringing on your name and their might be confusion about your brand in the marketplace, you can send them a "cease and desist" letter warning further actions may occur and CC BB.

You have to make certain you were first, that it is specific, and that you will be "harmed" if their actions continue.

I have sent these before and I have received them.  Very effective.  No one want to pay lawyers.

Please use plain text.