Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Marc_Paradise
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Apps can be extracted from the Playbook?

Odd - maybe this doesn't do the auto login redirects? What happens if you go to here first:

https://www.blackberry.com/jira

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sergeh
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

I have no problem going into the system and looking at other tickets but I can't seem to find yours and even if I manually type the url it still doesn't work. It does work for other tickets though

Actually the latest ticket I see is #182

--
Bitbox
Please use plain text.
Developer
acowart
My Device: Not Specified
My Carrier: Sprint

I believe tickets are private by default, so users can submit tickets about confidential issues and not have to worry about non-RIM employees seeing it.  It'll probably be made public soon.

Andrew Cowart | Metova
www.metova.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

@acowart is completely right, except for the "soon" part. I know of several apps I've submitted months ago that no one else can see yet, and some that others have submitted that I still can't see. The only option seems to be to ask the original submitted (e.g. Marc in this case) for updates, or for them to try to remember to come back here to post updates if there are any. (Submitters get notified by email of changes, generally.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
CMY
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

I just have one comment pointed towards Marc_Paradise, it may not really matter anymore at this point, but don't you think it would be wise for you to remove your how-to on how to get the SWF files off the playbook from your post in the Crackberry forums...........

While most (if not all) developers on this forum would refrain unloading someone else's work, that is a public forum where I can tell you first hand, there are many people who will not hesitate.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

I have taken ownership of the Issue Tracker issue and made it publicly available, so everyone can see and vote on it.

I have also escalated internally within RIM.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

Thanks Mark! I'm glad this issue is being treated seriously!

By the way, in all fairness it is indeed true that many platforms have easy ways to extract someone else's code. I suppose a super easy 'hole' to steal code is just something I didn't expect from a company that prides itself on it's security like RIM. That said, some are easy to prevent. On WebOS it's easy because the device can be rooted with no problem. Once on the device you can CD to wherever the apps are and copy them somewhere else. Had it not been possible to root the device this would be a whole lot harder. 

In this particular case a first 'patch' should probably be taking apps out of the whole backup routine. Apps can be (re)downloaded from AppWorld after signing in with a BB account since the system knows which apps we purchased. Secondly it would be nice if any thing downloaded from AppWorld would be encrypted so that even in case the user gets to the bar file they still can't access it's contents. It would also be nice if there would be something tied to a specific BB account in the encryption routine. That too will make redistribution harder.

Just some ideas really.

None of these things are perfect and I'm sure they're 'crackable' but at least they will make it less than trivial to steal code.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Please use plain text.
Developer
shism2
My Device: Not Specified

RIM could also make the backup format not so easily opened. They need to make up some format that's difficult to extract the sensitive data from.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ObsidianX
My Device: None
My Carrier: None

Hey folks,

I didn't read the whole thread so if this has been suggested then I apologize, but one thought I had is to use the QNX packages in your initialization code (even if you don't need it, just include it) to trigger a PPSChannel exception, preventing people from throwing it into a browser.

It doesn't protect you from PB->PB copying, but at least you won't lose your work to a browser (or worse, the internal browser!)

If this is silly then I'll just be on my way :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
CMY
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

It's not entirely a silly thought, but as mentioned there are flash decompilers where someone could decompile and remove the offending code then recompile to put in a browser. Won't be able to put it on a PlayBook, but a browser would run it no problem.

From a good portion of the conversation though, a lot of people seem to be more worried about someone getting access to their code moreso than the app itself.

Please use plain text.