Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
MauriceRice
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Apps can be extracted from the Playbook?

Acenet wrote:

Well, knowing how swf are loaded, this is a normal behaviour I would say: extracting swf is part of the game, like extracting a simple jar file. Also reverse engineering is possible in all technologies.

What can be "fixed" (asap...) is the "exposing" of swf files in the .bbb files for sure.

Agreed. The problem goes away if RIM encripts the backups.

Please use plain text.
Developer
shism2
My Device: Not Specified

That's all they have to do. I'm guessing it's going to take a while.....
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

shism2 wrote:
Why aren't these backup files encrypted?

If the backup files were encrypted, you wouldn't be able to restore them to a different device (if the original failed) which, I assume, is an intended use case for the backups.

Also, I think all such encryption eventually gets cracked... maybe they simply decided there's no point providing short-term protection which would simply be lost at some point.  (I'd disagree.. short-term protection would have been good.)

The real question may be "why back up the apps when they can be restored from App World instead"?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
kdittyr
My Device: Playbook

peter9477 wrote:

The real question may be "why back up the apps when they can be restored from App World instead"?

Yeah, backup other files like local files created ( configs, db, etc... ), but not the actual app.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

peter9477 wrote:

shism2 wrote:
Why aren't these backup files encrypted?

If the backup files were encrypted, you wouldn't be able to restore them to a different device (if the original failed) which, I assume, is an intended use case for the backups.

Also, I think all such encryption eventually gets cracked... maybe they simply decided there's no point providing short-term protection which would simply be lost at some point.  (I'd disagree.. short-term protection would have been good.)

you have a good point. No need to backup the apps. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
MauriceRice

kdittyr wrote:

Yeah, backup other files like local files created ( configs, db, etc... ), but not the actual app.

This is not enough if the user is using an obsolete version no longer available in AppWorld.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Acenet wrote:

-app. can also use "dynamic" license.

-and for reverse engineering... well, it's against the law.

Evidence so far suggests the dynamic license stuff doesn't work with the PlayBook yet, and there are no APIs to automate any aspect of that or provide access to the key, etc.  Do you have information the rest of us don't about how to make that work?

And reverse engineering isn't against the law in many jurisdictions, as far as I know, so that's no help.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

MauriceRice wrote:
This is not enough if the user is using an obsolete version no longer available in AppWorld.

Given that they keep all the release metadata for all our old releases (apparently), and probably the whole bundle, they could almost certainly just have it restore the same version as you had installed.

Even if they don't currently, it's merely a technical issue, relatively easily implemented.

Please use plain text.
Developer
MauriceRice

peter9477 wrote:

MauriceRice wrote:

Given that they keep all the release metadata for all our old releases (apparently), and probably the whole bundle, they could almost certainly just have it restore the same version as you had installed.

Even if they don't currently, it's merely a technical issue, relatively easily implemented.

Good point. But it is also merely a technical isue to encript the apps on the device. Then it wouldn't matter what was backed up.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Acenet
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: -

[ Edited ]

peter9477 wrote:

Acenet wrote:

-app. can also use "dynamic" license.

-and for reverse engineering... well, it's against the law.

Evidence so far suggests the dynamic license stuff doesn't work with the PlayBook yet, and there are no APIs to automate any aspect of that or provide access to the key, etc.  Do you have information the rest of us don't about how to make that work?

And reverse engineering isn't against the law in many jurisdictions, as far as I know, so that's no help.

-About "dynamic" I was thinking of a cross-check of userID / licence on a remote server. Like it's done for big software. But I'm not aware of any API for this indeed... I don't know any secret, I just theorologize : )

-if you specify in a License Agreement that you forbid reverse engineering, and if the user has to accept this LA to run the app., isn't it against the law ? Well.... you can engage pursuits in a looong process at least.

But my point was that there no technical way to prevent reverse engineering in any technology. So "hiding" swf files is the main problem we can hope to have fixed by RIM.

JC
Please use plain text.