Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
Scottapotamas
My Device: Torch, Playbook Sim
Accepted Solution

Apps compiled from the command line don't get past loading

Really keen to get my flash apps onto the playbook, but there's this little issue stopping me.

I use Flash CS5 Pro as my main application for iDevices and android (and flash develop for desktop stuff). I have been trying to compile from the .swf and -app.xml to the playbook with the command line, but with no success

I have been able to successfully build and run from flash builder burrito for small tests, but I can't remake the game in fb4, i don't have enough experience with it and have been strugglling with it for about a week 10am-4pm (seriously, though there's a bit of iPhone development and christmas dinner in there...)

I’ve been trying many different  guides and tutorials and I have been able to:

1. Compile from the command line, with 'success'
  2. The app is on the menu and can be loaded, until it crashes when the default pb loading screen should disappear

Eg, my apps only ever show the loading screen and nothing more.

Is this a known issue/ any ideas on how to fix or workaround it?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Just in case its os or software specific, 

Adobe Web Design Premium CS5

MacPro 2009 3.2 Dual processors

10.6.5 Snow Leopard

Flash Builder burrito is also installed

------------------------------------

My App
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)

Re: Apps compiled from the command line don't get past loading

My guess it that your app contains a bug in the initialization which makes your app crash. You should start in debugmode.

Perhaps this topic can be of service.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
New Developer
Scottapotamas

thanks for the link... I'll go through it in a minute

Thing is though, it doesn't matter what code (or none) that i put in, it all fails to pass the loading screen...

Ive tried just drawing on the canvas, to just text from code, to symbols that follow the mouse, none of them can pass the loader... yet flash builder4.5 can run them fine...

My App
Developer
zezke

Did you try the Hello World example?

BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
New Developer
Scottapotamas

yes. It did not work. It still gets as far as the others, then crashes!

Im pretty sure its not my code either...

My App
Developer
zezke

Can you post the commands you use?

New Developer
Scottapotamas

Not sure which commands you mean...
When compiling from a raw .as file, i use these:
scott:~ Scott$ /Applications/PlayBook/blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.1/bin/amxmlc /Users/Scott/Desktop/HelloWorld.as

Then to compile for pb

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

/Applications/PlayBook/blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.1/bin/blackberry-airpackager -package HelloWorld.bar -installApp /Users/Scott/compile/HelloWorld-app.xml /Users/Scott/compile/HelloWorld.swf -device 172.16.227.128 -password *******

As for code in my game, its quite large, but I have been trying this code from a old project when using raw .as and flashbuilder... It compiles fine through for iphone etc

http://www.26oclock.com/scott/Main.as

My App
Developer
zezke

Hmm can't really see anything wrong with that command (except the css code in between, but I guess this is a copy/paste error).

My suggestions:

-Try putting all your files (the .xml, .swf and the icon.png) in your working directory in case a relative directory causes problems (never trust a computer is my experience).

-add an icon file in the mix and the launch command (just like the getting started guide does)

/Applications/PlayBook/blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.1/bin/blackberry-airpackager -package HelloWorld.bar -installApp -launchApp HelloWorld-app.xml HelloWorld.swf blackberry.png -device 172.16.227.128 -password *******

New Developer
Scottapotamas

I have tried putting all the files in a safe, relative directory with no permissions issues and everything like that, it makes no difference.

I have also tried the -launchApp command, but i decided to try without it for once and that particular command was the one I copied.

I shall try a icon and maybe try to use another computer or a different install of mac OSX.

I have a friend who is really good with flash builder coming back from Japan in half a week, so maybe he can help sort something out with flash builder instead of flash pro.

My App
Developer
studiochris
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™

It has been mentioned a few times that this is being caused by not including an argument in your command. I was having the same issue with a Hello World example, and this fixed it. The argument is:

-C [working directory]

It goes between the bar file name and -installApp, so the full command is:

blackberry-airpackager -packageApp [output BAR file] -C [working directory] -installApp -launchApp [file list] -device 255.255.255.255 -password *****

-password isn't required if the simulator is booted and already in Developer Mode thus far.

Hope it works for you.